Whats the legal age of consent in Thailand. Its confusing.

14 hours ago, Phat Dawg said:

The big thing being the bulge in the back pocket?

foolish..took many pickpockets..always front..inside with hidden zipper... 🙂    plan B...your sock..thais hate stinky feet

• Haha 1

Don’t confuse age of consent with consent. If, well actually when, it goes pear shaped who knows what will happen. The girl, if twisted, can file a complaint that he raped her (not giving consent). He will be behind the 8 ball at the start and will be better off paying her and the police to make it go away. Tell him to think with the other head. Other than sex what else can a 40 year old get out of an 18 year old uneducated Thai girl? Dumb guy. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, advancebooking said:

If he got involved with this girl and it went pear shaped is he in a spot of bother? He has checked her id card. She is 100% 18 yrs old. 

It's easy to obtain a false ID card in LOS. I'd not go by an ID card.

If she looks too young, likely she is too young. 

While it may be tempting to bonk an 18 year old, for safety stick to 20 and over.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, george said:

It's a different age in a "prostitution establishment", e g if you pay for sex. 15-18 yo is the confusion.

Section 8: Anyone who has sexual intercourse with or acts otherwise against a person over the age of 15 but under 18 in a prostitution establishment, with or without their consent, will be imprisoned for up to 3 years and fined between 20,000 to 60,000 THB.

As far as I know all those Cowboy and Nana bars are not classified as prostitution establishment. They are bars with dancers.

Are prostitution establishments not illegal in Thailand?

9 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Other than sex what else can a 40 year old get out of an 18 year old uneducated Thai girl?

Isn't that enough?

I take the view that an 18 year old doesn't know anything about sex and is likely to change her mind  anyway. A bit of experience goes a long way to satisfaction.

11 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Don’t confuse age of consent with consent. If, well actually when, it goes pear shaped who knows what will happen. The girl, if twisted, can file a complaint that he raped her (not giving consent). He will be behind the 8 ball at the start and will be better off paying her and the police to make it go away. Tell him to think with the other head. Other than sex what else can a 40 year old get out of an 18 year old uneducated Thai girl? Dumb guy. 

How often does that happen?

I.e. if she visits him in his home, and then walks out the next morning and visits him again, or maybe she stays with him for weeks of months, can she later claim she didn't give consent?

I guess a NYC judge might interpret it that way, but we are in Thailand in the real world. If he would have raped her then she would not have returned.

Many of us know Thai/farang couples who split up with lots of shouting and screaming and maybe physical fights. How often did you hear that a girl accused her ex that she didn't consent when they previously had sex? Anybody? Ever? If that would be something that really happens, then I am pretty sure some of us would have heard those stories. 

Forgot to add, if an under 20 that is still living at home it would be foolish to have sex with her without parents consent. They may have plans to get a big sin sod which will be thwarted if she is known to be bonking a farang, as only virgins should get sin sod.

2 minutes ago, john donson said:

she is indeed interested in him, a part that is... his wallet

It's always interesting how many guys are sure about statements like that.

How many relationships did you have with girls? Did they all only want your money?

Or do you think that because someone told you? Or did you read an article which was written by an old feminist? 

And do only young girls want money? Or do almost all females independent of their age and his age like money?

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP's question was "What is the legal age of consent" (in relation to his friend's situation), that's all, so the answer to his question is cut and dried in that context...it is 15.    That is all that I was commenting on.          

IMO any middle aged man that wants to bonk a 15 year old should be very very careful. After all, what could possibly go wrong with that?

6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

What is there to "worry about" if you get involved with someone over 18 but who is old enough yo be your daughter or granddaughter?

Got something to do with morals but sadly not everyone gets that.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, advancebooking said:

duh. read above. He saw the id card. Cant get better evidence than that. 

:cheesy: We are talking about a Thai girl, are we not? Simplest job to use an older sister's ID or get a fake one. How would Joe Farang know if it was real or not?

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's always interesting how many guys are sure about statements like that.

How many relationships did you have with girls? Did they all only want your money?

Or do you think that because someone told you? Or did you read an article which was written by an old feminist? 

And do only young girls want money? Or do almost all females independent of their age and his age like money?

Young Thai women are not averse to trading sex for money to buy mobile phones and suchlike. I doubt the farang in question knows her well enough to know why she is interested in him. Has he met her parents?

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Prostitution, i.e. paying for sex, is not illegal, certain specifics of the activity are, though.  

https://thailawonline.com/prostitution

I have read the PREVENTION AND SUPPRESSION OF PROSTITUTION ACT B.E. 2539 (1996) many times and some daft article's inaccurate assessment  that states that "Yes, it is illegal", then goes on to say "Thailand’s Penal Code does not explicitly state that prostitution is illegal" has no credibility and certainly doesn't override the Act.    Certain aspects are such as soliciting, working in/operating a brothel, pimping, living off the earnings of a prostitute, amongst others are illegal.  The act of paying someone for sex is not illegal on its own.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP's question was "What is the legal age of consent" (in relation to his friend's situation), that's all, so the answer to his question is cut and dried in that context...it is 15.    That is all that I was commenting on.          

IMO any middle aged man that wants to bonk a 15 year old should be very very careful. After all, what could possibly go wrong with that?

I don't disagree with you on that, neither have I condoned it.

1 hour ago, eeworldwide said:

Who else other than other 15 year olds would want to have a relationship with another 15 year old?  I have 2 15 year olds and they're definitely not interested in sex or even relationships for that matter!

Consider yourself lucky then. My western ex's daughter was boy mad at 13 and her mother put her on the pill. She managed to get to 18 before getting pregnant.

She had a constant stream of boys after her, which was annoying.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The OP did not ask about consent, i.e. whether it was given or not, he asked specifically about the legal age to give consent for sexual activities, which is 15. 

If you have something that states just that the legal age to provide consent for sex specifically is other than 15, please provide it, without throwing in qualifiers such as parents, consent (apart from the age for) and child prostitution, aspects that I have not commented on. 

You also need to read the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act 1996, as to what aspects of prostitution are illegal in relation to the OP's question.  The OP's friend, for example, would not be committing a child prostitution offence simply by giving her money. 

Just because you consider the age of consent to be 15 does not mean that it's plain sailing for any man of 40 years of age to be bonking a 15 year old. Anyway, as the girl is apparently 18 the legal aspect is taken care of, though there are about a zillion other reasons for a 40 year old farang to steer clear from any involvement with an under 20 year old, including having acquired a bit of common sense by 20.

• Confused 1

Like many other things that are in reality illegal here, officials allow it to happen because of the amount of corruption here. Human trafficking is a byproduct of prostitution and in Thailand it's huge, with some officials allowing it to continue, as the amount of continuous arrests show. Bending the laws here because of Thailand being a poor country will continue until the people allowing it to happen are removed from office, those involved in trafficking are incarcerated or executed, and the people are allowed to have more of a say in what happens here instead of being encouraged to shut up.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

So far we have 4 pages of the typical AN retard archetype dropping brainfarts.

Simple answer: 18

Yes, that is the simple "typical AN retard archetype dropping brainfarts" [sic], to use your words, answer, it is also the wrong answer; the legal age of consent for sexual activity in Thailand (the only question the OP asked) is 15, like it or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just because you consider the age of consent to be 15..

It is not that "I consider that to be the age of consent", it is not my considered opinion, it is a fact.  The only subject that I have been responding about is what the OP asked, "What is the age of consent in Thailand" and it is 15. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

...that is weird and leads to a massive loop hole in the law????

Not really. The minimum age for prostitution is 18 in most countries, including Thailand.

As @Liverpool Lou has pointed out, paying for sex in Thailand is not, in itself, illegal but if the provider is under 18, it most definitely is!

No, I did not leave out anything relevant to the specific question, the legal age of consent in Thailand is 15.  The term 'age of consent' specifically refers to the minimum age at which a person is considered legally competent to provide consent for engaging in sexual acts and that's what he asked about.

Not for a 40yo. Your response was irresponsible and misleading. Why are you suggesting it is so? 

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is not that "I consider that to be the age of consent", it is not my considered opinion, it is a fact.  The only subject that I have been responding about is what the OP asked, "What is the age of consent in Thailand" and it is 15. 

Only for 15 to 17yos. The age of legal sex for adults is 18.

You keep doubling down on misleading comments.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

No, I did not leave out anything relevant to the specific question, the legal age of consent in Thailand is 15.  The term 'age of consent' specifically refers to the minimum age at which a person is considered legally competent to provide consent for engaging in sexual acts and that's what he asked about.

Not for a 40yo. Your response was irresponsible and misleading. Why are you suggesting it is so?

The legal age for consent for sexual activity is 15 in Thailand, that is why I am saying that it is so, because that is the law.   There is no different age depending on the older age of one of the parties.  That is the only thing that I have been commenting on.  

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

The legal age for consent for sexual activity is 15 in Thailand, that is why I am saying that it is so, because that is the law.   There is no different age depending on the older age of one of the parties.  That is the only thing that I have been commenting on.  

Your comments are not relevant to a 40yo. The legal age to not break the law for a 40yo is 18yo.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, susanlea said:
29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Only for 15 to 17yos. The age of legal sex for adults is 18.

Nonsense. The legal age to give consent for sexual activity in Thailand is 15, regardless of the age of an older party.

"The term ‘age of consent’ specifically refers to the minimum age at which a person is considered legally competent to provide consent for engaging in sexual acts. Individuals below this age do not possess the legal capacity to consent to sexual activities.

In Thailand, the age of consent is set at 15 years old".

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/legal-age-of-consent-in-thailand/#:~:text=Individuals below this age do,any form of sexual activity.

"Age of Consent: 15 years old
Criminal Code of Thailand
Sec. 277
Whoever, has sexual intercourse with a girl not yet over fifteen years of age and not being his own wife, whether such girl shall consent or not, shall be punished with imprisonment of four to twenty years and fined of eight thousand to forty thousand Baht". 

https://www.icmec.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/ICMEC-Thailand-National-Legislation-updated.pdf

"The age of sexual consent for both boys and girls is 15 years".

https://ecpat.org/country/thailand/

"What do you know of the age of sexual consent in Thailand?

Teenage sexual encounters are not something that many of us are comfortable talking about, but perhaps they should be – to protect our children.

In Thailand the official legal age of consent is 15 years old".

https://www.lannaist.ac.th/keeping-our-teenage-children-safe/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, susanlea said:

The legal age to not break the law for a 40yo is 18yo.

Where in the Thai Criminal Code is that stated?  Which Section states that "the age of consent for sexual activity in Thailand is 18"? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1