Ex-President Faces Jail Threat for Repeated Gag Order Violations

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A battle of wills and Trump has a lot more supporters than the judge does. Should be very entertaining as it goes on.

Because our legal system is based on the number of supporters of the participants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

Because our legal system is based on the number of supporters of the participants.

No, because unless the judge is dumb he knows what is likely to happen if he actually jailed Trump. Does he want to be responsible for it?

• Confused 4

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

I very much doubt that.

You are entitled to not be entertained.

I think it's rather entertaining that a country that has visited so much destruction and death on so many countries ( Chile comes to mind ) is tearing itself apart over a bombastic entertainer.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are entitled to not be entertained.

I think it's rather entertaining that a country that has visited so much destruction and death on so many countries ( Chile comes to mind ) is tearing itself apart over a bombastic entertainer.

Oddly enough I did a couple of months work in Chile back in 1991 and I found it a lot nicer, people, food, wine and the country in general, than the next 8 months in Venezuela

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A better option than sending bombs to Gaza to blow up thousands of kids.

Funny you should say that in the light of this BBC news item this morning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68974624

The US last week paused a bomb shipment for Israel over concerns it was going ahead with a major ground operation in Rafah, southern Gaza, a senior administration official says.

The shipment consisted of 1,800 2,000lb (907kg) bombs and 1,700 500lb bombs, the official told CBS News, the BBC's media partner in the US.

Israel has not "fully addressed" US concerns over humanitarian needs of civilians in Rafah, the official says.

Israel made no immediate comment.

Overnight, there were further Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip, hours after Israeli forces backed by tanks took control of the key Rafah crossing on the border with Egypt.

The Israeli bombardment has been particularly intense around Rafah. Local medics say seven members of one family were killed in one overnight strike.

Perhaps Israel is losing the unconditional support of the USA now. The shipment was not banned completely, just paused at this point in time.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 1:26 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps he is actually a thick, evil, deranged thug.

I think Trump is looking at himself in the mirror and is projecting that image onto his no. 1 enemy.

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Just been looking around reports of Day 13 of the trial . . .

Relevant to this thread is that at one point Judge Merchan called Trump's Lawyer Todd Blanche to the Bar and told him to control Trump who had muttered audible curses while Ms. Daniels was giving her testimony.

Although it's frustrating, I think the Judge is right to try to handle this in a 'low key' manner - all the contempts are on record and jail time can be given at any time taking all 11 into account then.

Blanche also asked for a mistrial - an idea which was swiftly dismissed by Merchan.

Stormy's evidence and many other points make it crystal clear that the 'hush' was set up for the purpose of misleading the electorate, after the 'access Hollywood' crisis, neatly turning the 34 business records offences from misdemeanours into felonies.

Trump is in great difficulty !

Possibly true. But from my limited understanding, the standard for the charge is that the money was paid EXCLUSIVELY for that purpose. Proving that might be tough. Just as easy for Trump to say he paid so that his wife didn't find out, his business didn't suffer, etc. There are many plausible reasons to keep an affair quiet. 

• Haha 1

Hi Hanaguma. I've not seen that idea floated by any of the commentators. As I understand, if Trump could prove the 'hush' WAS to protect Melania, maybe he'd escape, but unfortunately there's evidence that he tried to delay the payment to Stormy until after the Election, so he could then back out of the deal. In that case, Stormy would have published and Melania would have got the dirt. So no chance of him escaping on that pretext IMHO.

Much of the evidence so far makes it obvious that the 'hush' DID have one purpose i.e. to get Trump out of the 'access Hollywood' crisis . . . . .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

The US last week paused a bomb shipment for Israel over concerns it was going ahead with a major ground operation in Rafah, southern Gaza, a senior administration official says.

Significant word is paused. Similar to a "pause" in fighting while hostages are released , then israel can get back to blowing up everything with no need to hold back.

I'll be more impressed if the US stops sending the bombs and bullets PERIOD.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, eisfeld said:

What the judge is responsible for is upholding the law. If Trump breaks the law and gets arrested then anything bad happening like his crazy followers going mental then Trump is the one responsible for that.

IMO this case is going to be a lose for Trump, in which case it's going to be very interesting to see what the punishment will be. If he is jailed it will have unpleasant consequences, and if he is fined a huge amount he'll just say that he can't pay it.

I don't envy the judge having to decide on it ( or does the jury decide? ).

Even a conviction does not stop Trump winning in November, so that does not come into it. If anything, a guilty verdict will increase Trump's chances of winning, IMO.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The judge is instructing the jury and the jury will decide if Trump is guilty and what amounts will be paid according to the framework that the judge explains to them. I don't think that losing the trial will help him in the election. It will strengthen the believes of those who already believe he is being persecuted by the system but he already won these voters. There are plenty of voters on the fence who might not want to vote for a convicted felon. It would mean admitting to themselves either that the justice system is broken or that it's not broken but they are ok with a criminal in charge. Both would be hard to swallow. So by voting against him they can maintain to themselves that the american system works and they did the right thing. Trumps play will be to try to delay the trial until after election but I think he wont succeed in that. After the second loss and the legal cases closing in on him he will also lose massive support in the wider rupublican base. Will he go to prison? I'm not sure. But his political career will be pretty much over. He burned too many former allies on the way.

It's always been a toss up if he wins or not. For sure he will gain support from a conviction, but there is nothing to say that it would be enough to win.

IMO the requirement for secret service protection will mean no real prison, as it would cause massive disruption, so likely to be house arrest somewhere, or one of those holiday camps for rich criminals.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's always been a toss up if he wins or not. For sure he will gain support from a conviction, but there is nothing to say that it would be enough to win.

IMO the requirement for secret service protection will mean no real prison, as it would cause massive disruption, so likely to be house arrest somewhere, or one of those holiday camps for rich criminals.

Wow 13 posts in this thread alone I do believe we have a genuine trump cultist 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Significant word is paused. Similar to a "pause" in fighting while hostages are released , then israel can get back to blowing up everything with no need to hold back.

I'll be more impressed if the US stops sending the bombs and bullets PERIOD.

Me too.

In todays BBC News site there is this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68980820

There is more in the link.

"If they go into Rafah, I'm not supplying the weapons that have been used historically to deal with Rafah," he said during an interview with CNN.

He added that he would "continue to make sure Israel is secure".

Despite firm and vocal US opposition, Israel appears poised to mount a large-scale invasion of Rafah.

Also from the link.

"But a leading member of Mr Netanyahu's Likud party in Israel told the BBC's Newshour on Wednesday he believed US domestic political considerations were behind the decision to halt the delivery of bombs.

"I totally disagree that the American election has nothing to do with it," said Boaz Bismuth, a member of both the Israeli parliament and the foreign affairs and defence committee."

What is happening in the American election has nothing to do with it," said Boaz Bismuth.

It certainly has nothing to do with Boaz Bismuth.

To me at least, President Biden is using stronger 'diplomatic language' to Israel to make his point clearer to the Israeli government. Whether Netanyahu and his war cabinet, listen and understand is a different problem.

• Thumbs Up 1