Two motorbike riders killed as loaded pick-up truck crosses road divider

snoop1130

Fatal-accident-Phuket-2048x1218.jpg

Two persons were killed and several injured in a car crash on Phra Baramee Road close to Patong Hill's east side on the night of May 7. The accident happened when a pickup truck, which was carrying immigrant workers, swerved across the median and hit a motorcycle.

The accident, which occurred near the Tiger Kingdom attraction, was reported to the authorities around 6:30 PM. Upon reaching the scene, police and rescuers found ten people injured, out of which two sustained critical injuries.

The investigators found a blue Isuzu pickup truck, registered in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, toppled with a broken windshield. There was also a heavily damaged red Honda PCX motorcycle, registered in Phuket.

The two critically wounded victims, 61-year-old Udom Haadsoi and 53-year-old Kwanta Haad Soi, were riding the motorcycle. Both victims were unconscious at the scene. Udom was declared dead when he was brought to Vachira Phuket Hospital, while Kwanta succumbed to her injuries later at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

The driver of the pickup truck, Montree Saengnak, 46, was unharmed. He informed the police that he was driving ten workers from a hotel painting job in Karon back to a worker’s camp in Thalang when the mishap took place. Saengnak also mentioned that the road was slippery due to light rain.

The police have carried out an alcohol test on Saengnak, which turned out to be negative. However, he is being held for additional interrogation as the investigation is still ongoing.

Photo courtesy of Phuket GO

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

21 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Upon reaching the scene, police and rescuers found ten people injured, out of which two sustained critical injuries

I suspect the other eight injured were in the Isuzu pickup truck?  No mention of the deceased wearing helmets, but you never know.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The driver of the pickup truck, Montree Saengnak, 46, was unharmed. He informed the police that he was driving ten workers from a hotel painting job in Karon back to a worker’s camp in Thalang when the mishap took place. Saengnak also mentioned that the road was slippery due to light rain.

And ?????

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Saengnak also mentioned that the road was slippery due to light rain.

Slippery? Rain?

How that? 

Never happened before!

Well, this is another fatal example of lack of education as a driver. They don't care about the people they're transporting nor any road conditions. Just high speed getting home after work.

As we know that many drivers (car and motor bike) never saw any driving school or never passed any tests, or never obtained their license legally it's obvious to see those accidents day by day, in rainy season particular.🙏

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

What about charging him with 'driving without due care and attention'? But T.I.T:sad:

The Police is charging the "rain" for the "mishap", not the pickup driver.
The pickup driver is innocent, but the "SUDDEN RAIN" will face justice.
TIT

riding my bicycle around city as i do daily....was near a school as kids were about...some somchai in a hotel van comes flying down the road on MY side of the road trying to pass another driver.....had a thai dude next to me on his mbike too as we both stopped and i yelled at his and said WTF!!!??....i think i did see a wave/apology from him but only bcos im sure he had tourists inside witnessing this as the hotel was labeled clearly on the van.....I should have went to the hotel and called him out...

the only acceptable excuse for his behavior would be if the van was full of chinese tourists which seem everywhere in city