During our Extremely HOT Season: Have you been suffering from, the Curse of Knowledge?

Posted (edited)

Dear Fellow Extremophiles:

I don't know about you, but, during these extremely HOT weeks, about 10, that we have suffered through, I have been more and more plagued by this concept of....

THE CURSE OF KNOWLEDGE

aa.  First of all, what, exactly, is an extremophile?

An extremophile looks something like these....

image.png.57745b0ad3b2b857e020deb9e7e8460d.png

image.png.75cb8ba33095e8aee3447dd3ccc90587.png

image.png.226f6954d3ca212bce310a62c04546e8.png

I know.

They are not handsome, unless they might be walking someplace in Pattaya.

bb. So, an extremophile is any organism which exists and FKS and reproduces in extreme environments, and some of the above examples look, a bit, over the top, to me.

(You can think vents six miles down....

Down, down, down.....)

cc.  Anytime HUMANS (who are not classified as extremophiles) are exposed to extreme environmental conditions, stress is always the name of the game.

I have witnessed the stress among humans here, most likely due to high temperatures and high levels of pollutants which cloud the brain.

I grew up with Pink Floyd, and I listened to Pink Floyd before the Crimson King was even on your horizon....

dd. So, the MAIN Goal of this Topic is to REMIND everyone that the Curse of Knowledge can affect even the dumbest amongst us.

During the HEAT, there exists the possibility that we might be misunderstood, and then, due to the heat, we become more easily frazzled, and we lose our patience with others.

Has this happened to YOU, during these weeks of almost unbearable heat, morning, noon, and though the night?

ee.  I would like to remind everyone that not everybody is as smart, nor well-informed, nor highly educated as we might be.

And, therefore, we must practice patience, PATIENCE, every moment of the day, when interacting with others.

THIS IS THE CURSE OF KNOWLEDGE.

We forget that others do not know, or can never know, what we know......

And then, the SHT hits the fan.

I guess many here have been wondering why we see so many FARANG during this HOT SEASON, going berserk, when....this has....

Not so very often happened during the Cold Season...

Now you know.

ff.  But, before I end this cautionary tale, I would like to add a snippet from Wikipedia concerning this Curse of Knowledge, which is a BIAS that, I believe, we all suffer from, at various times in our lives.....

So, here you go, and I just hope that you, too, as I sometimes have, be comparably intelligent enough to suffer from this....

CURSE OF KNOWLEDGE.

Best regards,

Sincerely yours,

Gamma

Note: Have patience, my fellow extremophiles.  Let patience be your watchword during the remaining weeks of the Hot Season and the Smoking Season, ahead....

NOTE2:  Please, above all....do your best to avoid the Curse of Knowledge.  This BIAS will destroy you, in the end, and will help nobody....

image.png.502dbae603de3ca08621986c584ae063.png

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Please do your best to heed my words....next time you find yourself talking to the local AC technician or plumber or electrician, in these parts.  You will be very wise to heed my words....Not Joking....  (Let PATIENCE be the watchword during this HOT SEASON.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, still kicking said:

OMG if you think it couldn't get worst he comes up with another useless post.

Sorry, Sir, but I really do consider this Topic to be, and I know you must admit that it truly is, my best Topic, thus far.

This is not to say that I will not always strive to top this one...but....

I am sure that it will not be so easy.

Take care, Sir.

I wish you the best.

Peace, Brother!

image.thumb.png.5aafc974dabbff43bfa485d8df1ec354.png

Just one of my family photos from way back....in...

The Summer of '69.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The Summer of '69.

so you were in your 60's..... 50 years ago ? bravo for even being able to type still.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, stoner said:

so you were in your 60's..... 50 years ago ? bravo for even being able to type still.

Those were the days...

The good old days, when...

Almost everyone in the USA feared the Bermuda Triangle.

I have been around since....well....

• Love It 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, stoner said:

Yes, it is.

It's already too late to lose my virginity, for example.

And, too late to, once again, have my First French kiss.

And, it's far too late for what?

IS THERE REALLY anything for which it is too late?

Yes.

Because, as we know from our studies of Developmental Psychology, humans progress through life in stages of development.

And, I guess it will be too late for me to now begin my next profession in life as a Brain Surgeon....unless....

You, STONER, wish to volunteer to be my first test subject.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

I'm sure you heard this already many times but dude, you have some serious mental health issues. Try to get professional help.

Or you are paid by AN for all these mindbending nonsense troll threads that somehow still get engagement every time. Both options are sad.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, AnotherOneHere said:

What's up with you old guys posting all the time these weird pixelated vides from 1960 and writing walls of incoherent text?

Am I going to turn into one one day too? 😲🤔

You may...but...

ONLY if you are fortunate to live as long as I, and...

I am still going strong.

As you know, the secret to my longevity is...

Celibacy, practiced religiously.

In addition, the main reason for your mistaken belief that our "walls of" text are incoherent is that....

People your age are no longer able to read English text written in full paragraphs, having spent most of your youth struggling with...

Nothing more complex than the great literature and classics on Twitter.

Judging from your profile photo here, you have a nice smile, which will stand you in good stead, only here in Thailand.

But, in other parts of the world, where mango- and papaya-growing is not the main industry, just a smile will not get you far.

How much of Philip Roth have you taken the time to read, for example?

Have you, in all your days on Earth, ever read a well-crafted paragraph?

I mean, paragraphs like these two, just for example:

Paragraph One:

image.png.e83d15c08fb59a324ab81861ed91767e.png

Paragraph Two:

image.png.f66251a22f95b6a7dbe0b27206a1de1f.png

Ever seen anything like this on TWITTER?

Not exactly a wall of text....

Is it?

No, it is more like something you would have seen from a Nobel laureate, except, Roth was unfairly passed over.

Why he was passed over for the Nobel....?

Maybe, a subject for another Topic....

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I'm sure you heard this already many times but dude, you have some serious mental health issues. Try to get professional help.

Or you are paid by AN for all these mindbending nonsense troll threads that somehow still get engagement every time. Both options are sad.

Both "OPTIONS" are sad?

Respectfully, I would have used the words "hypothetical scenarios" instead of the word OPTIONS, in order to convey your intended meaning.

I would have rephrased your short sentence as follows:

"Both hypothetical scenarios are sad."

Capisce?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes, it is.

It's already too late to lose my virginity, for example.

And, too late to, once again, have my First French kiss.

And, it's far too late for what?

IS THERE REALLY anything for which it is too late?

Yes.

Because, as we know from our studies of Developmental Psychology, humans progress through life in stages of development.

And, I guess it will be too late for me to now begin my next profession in life as a Brain Surgeon....unless....

You, STONER, wish to volunteer to be my first test subject.

ok as long as i get a unlimited supply of popsicles after. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Have you read this book, lately?

image.png.2643a82effe48027dcaa83cf52039620.png

1 minute ago, stoner said:

ok as long as i get a unlimited supply of popsicles after. 

You may be drooling, afterward.

Best to suck on your popsicle now, 

While you are still able.

21 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You may be drooling, afterward.

Best to suck on your popsicle now, 

While you are still able.

thank you dr moniz.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, stoner said:

thank you dr moniz.

Did I ever mention to you my experiences during and after my lobotomy?

It happened to me completely without any anesthesia, whatsoever.

I cannot say that I would highly recommend a lobotomy to just anyone.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Perhaps I am a minority but I enjoy Gamma's posts and think he would be interesting to talk to over coffee.  

That said, I've noticed that the Gamma threads follow a pattern, they start with a long, thoughtful post from him that is a bit (or more than a bit) of thought-streaming, but not too hard to follow, and is often interesting and intelligent in my opinion, and distinctively honest in a way that only the truly self-aware can be.   And with some satire mixed in that some people miss.   And then shortly afterward, another short post from Gamma with a couple of follow up thoughts, usually before anyone else can reply.  That shows that he doesn't edit his posts much before posting, and there is more that he thinks of to add to the topic. 

But then, detractors post, Gamma reacts, and the discussion is brought down toward the level of the detractors. 

So, while I look forward to the Gamma threads, I've learned generally to just read the initial few posts, except on those rare occasions when one draws some discussion from others who are actually thinking and contributing to the original topic, which I often find to be interesting and worthwhile, but that sadly seldom attracts others who spend any time to grow the spark or even keep it going. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisP24 said:

Perhaps I am a minority but I enjoy Gamma's posts and think he would be interesting to talk to over coffee.  

Yes, you're definitely in the minority. And a very small minority it is. How wonderful it would be if you two regularly went for coffee. At least he wouldn't be posting while he was with you.

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, ChrisP24 said:

That said, I've noticed that the Gamma threads follow a pattern, they start with a long, thoughtful post from him that is a bit (or more than a bit) of thought-streaming, but not too hard to follow, and is often interesting and intelligent in my opinion, and distinctively honest in a way that only the truly self-aware can be.   And with some satire mixed in that some people miss.   And then shortly afterward, another short post from Gamma with a couple of follow up thoughts, usually before anyone else can reply.  That shows that he doesn't edit his posts much before posting, and there is more that he thinks of to add to the topic. 

But then, detractors post, Gamma reacts, and the discussion is brought down toward the level of the detractors. 

So, while I look forward to the Gamma threads, I've learned generally to just read the initial few posts, except on those rare occasions when one draws some discussion from others who are actually thinking and contributing to the original topic, which I often find to be interesting and worthwhile, but that sadly seldom attracts others who spend any time to grow the spark or even keep it going. 

"Perhaps I am a minority but I enjoy Gamma's posts and think he would be interesting to talk to over coffee."  

You would not talk to him.

You would be treated to a monologue.

You would learn something from the experience........and you would be far from being the first person to undertake to avoid him in future.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

What's up with you old guys posting all the time these weird pixelated vides from 1960 and writing walls of incoherent text?

Am I going to turn into one one day too? 😲🤔

How do you assess someone's state of mental health?

It's not that simple. 

I would rather not pass judgment, but at what point does blurting out whatever comes to mind with hardly any rhyme or reason become something to be concerned about? 

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You may...but...

ONLY if you are fortunate to live as long as I, and...

I am still going strong.

As you know, the secret to my longevity is...

Celibacy, practiced religiously.

In addition, the main reason for your mistaken belief that our "walls of" text are incoherent is that....

People your age are no longer able to read English text written in full paragraphs, having spent most of your youth struggling with...

Nothing more complex than the great literature and classics on Twitter.

Judging from your profile photo here, you have a nice smile, which will stand you in good stead, only here in Thailand.

But, in other parts of the world, where mango- and papaya-growing is not the main industry, just a smile will not get you far.

How much of Philip Roth have you taken the time to read, for example?

Have you, in all your days on Earth, ever read a well-crafted paragraph?

I mean, paragraphs like these two, just for example:

Paragraph One:

image.png.e83d15c08fb59a324ab81861ed91767e.png

Paragraph Two:

image.png.f66251a22f95b6a7dbe0b27206a1de1f.png

Ever seen anything like this on TWITTER?

Not exactly a wall of text....

Is it?

No, it is more like something you would have seen from a Nobel laureate, except, Roth was unfairly passed over.

Why he was passed over for the Nobel....?

Maybe, a subject for another Topic....

"Celibacy, practiced religiously.", now you have given me cause to wonder about your sanity!   

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sorry, Sir, but I really do consider this Topic to be, and I know you must admit that it truly is, my best Topic, thus far.

This is not to say that I will not always strive to top this one...but....

I am sure that it will not be so easy.

Take care, Sir.

I wish you the best.

Peace, Brother!

image.thumb.png.5aafc974dabbff43bfa485d8df1ec354.png

The Summer of '69.

Go away !

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Which just goes to prove/show how awful all your other topics/posts have always been and given how awful this one is sums up all your posts!

• Like 1