Thailand probes wealthy foreigners for money laundering scheme

webfact

Posted (edited)

These call center people (owners) are the scum of the earth. So good deal.

For normal retirees though Thailand is the land of "Do We Cheat Them and How" 

Is that Big Jokes replacement..

Edited by Gknrd

"Chen managed digital wallets with transactions amounting to approximately 70 billion baht."

That doesn't sound like a fraud but more like circumventing Chinese ban on certain things. Oh yeah, okay, 'money laundering'.

Nevertheless, the police officers picture looks like a 'wanted' picture. I guess the owners of the 70 billion baht won't be happy.

That'll get the applications for the elite visa soaring to new records!
Just think, you can be assured that everyone will know you're pure because you've been investigated. What a wonderful feeling!
Just don't give them any reason to want to throw some random charges at you! Like criticize ANYTHING about Thailand, in Thailand, relating to Thailand, or even around Thailand - like Asia for that matter. As has been noted, a prosecutor could indict a ham sandwich, if he wanted to....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

"Chen managed digital wallets with transactions amounting to approximately 70 billion baht."

That doesn't sound like a fraud but more like circumventing Chinese ban on certain things. Oh yeah, okay, 'money laundering'.

I guess you skipped over the 2nd line of the original post where it said:

allegedly laundered large sums of money for call centre scam groups.

Unless you think that call center scam groups are "legitimate businesses" ?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I guess you skipped over the 2nd line of the original post where it said:

Unless you think that call center scam groups are "legitimate businesses" ?

What 'call center scam group' with 70 billion THB are we talking about? Where are the mass arrests and the shutting down of those call centers? Any sources for those claims? Isn't it a substantial amount to have more then, well, Chen?

Naja, nevermind. It's always the same with those articles.

• Confused 1

Good for CIB !!!

it’s high time also to  identify and prevent infestation of so called

“ puti-russian “elite money laundering scumbags” that has swept the major resorts of Thailand:)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Singapore has an ongoing case involving several billion SGD worth of assets seized from around a dozen people of Chinese origin, holding passports from several countries. All accused of money laundering illegal proceeds from online gambling.

If squeaky clean Singapore can find that much in its system, imagine how much there really is in opaque Thailand 

So it's just online gambling and they call it scam because it's banned in China. Okay. I agree! Let's go to Macao, instead.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who was it again who had that idea with the privilege card? Hint: he is a Thai criminal.

And was anybody surprised that rich criminals used money to buy their stay in Thailand? What a surprise. Or maybe not?

well from this forum and comments by some visa holders, paying someone else to cover a qualification for one who isn't a rich criminal to begin with but it is still a crime in my opinion but I guess the ends support the means for some people.  Just saying.  Hope all have a happy day as some farangs are going to get even closer scrutiny.  

17 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I wouldn't call all people that use agents for immigration purposes criminals (Either soft or hard as you put it). 

That's a very wide brush stroke you used. 

I have never used an agent for any of my immigration experiences and it might be because I am a "Cheap Charlie" or that I just see that is a waste of money.  It used to be for the yearly renewal, one had to get up at O-dark-thrity to get in a queue in order to be able to get a inside queue for that day.  Some people even said that they got there at midnight and the queue ticket givers outside didn't begin until 8:30 when they opened.   I usually got there by 4:00 AM and almost all the time got a ticket for that day - but many times it was only in the PM IO visit times.  This was in the CM immigration period and nowadays it is much more easier getting in and getting processed and even possible at times to get an appointed time though I haven't been that lucky.  So instead of the promised 20 minutes to process time, it has taken me up to an hour and a half to get everything done that was needed so based on what it used t be, now it is great but I still hear folks complaining about the process there!  I do have friends that use an agent just because they are intimidated by the IO and prefer to forego that or they feel that since they can afford an agent, it does make it easier at times.  Now the BOI to me was the easiest processing period, and that to me was because the officers there were so patient and helpful.  Once I understood fully what they actually needed, it was easy. If one qualifies, in my opinion the best for the cost and actually cheaper and better benefits than the elite too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

one of my old neighbours can hardly walk but his passport goes over the border once a year for example.

Do you not think a disabled person should receive any assistance in this respect?   A guy I know  has just suffered a stroke, do you think he should be summarily deported if he can't attend immigration at extension time ?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

I might be mistaken, but I thought I read on AN that people with the LTR have an exemption from the overseas income tax. I don't know if Thai Privilege does or not. Either way, that's where the big money is, not with the little guys putting up 800,000 for a retirement extension. PTP is desperate for money. They'll find a way to come after LTR as well. These "probes" into money laundering are the thin end of the wedge.

Yes, the Thai elite card doesn't exempt tax on remitted income.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why? I don't think many that want to open bank accounts do so to launder money. I used to travel a lot as a journalist and be paid in different countries, and it was useful to have an account in New York and another in Melbourne as well as my native UK, in order that I could be paid into those accounts and draw on them when in that country. Not everyone is a money launderer. What should be dealt with is people handling millions, or in this case billions of baht. Which, it seems, they are doing as this case demonstrates.

Exactly, nothing wrong with a bit of profiling

18 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

We all know this is yet another money making scam... 

Hello rich people, come to Thailand under our Privilege Scheme.  Stay a while.  Build up your assets. 

Then we will come and investigate and take everything.  Thank you for coming. 

Next year we will launch a new Elite Privilege Scheme.  Same same but different. 

I am not surprised. 

If you don’t get up to no good then nothing to worry about. 

16 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Do you not think a disabled person should receive any assistance in this respect?   A guy I know  has just suffered a stroke, do you think he should be summarily deported if he can't attend immigration at extension time ?  

That's not what i wrote.

I wrote that his passport leaves the country, he doesn't, that is visa fraud.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

I read on AN that people with the LTR have an exemption from the overseas income tax.

As per Royal Proclamation regarding Thai income tax on foreign currency transfers into Thailand by foreign residents. Hardly a point of corruption. 

46 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

That's not what i wrote.

I wrote that his passport leaves the country, he doesn't, that is visa fraud.

Absolutely shocking , I'm sure, but  its between him and the authorities. Nothing at all to do with you whatsoever

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, freeworld said:

And if the applicant is given the all clear and then comes to Thailand and commits crime? Would that help?

Banks should be regulated to do more rigorous KYC checks on who they do business with and the nature and legality of the business trading and any suspicious activity should be reported.

The fact that even tourists and non real resident can open bank accounts in Thailand should be dealt with.

Check the offshore leaks database, one will find many addresses linked to Thailand.

https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/

you call yourself Freeworld and then suggest placing restrictions on who should and shouldn't be able to open a bank account? Lol.

• Agree 2