Thailand probes wealthy foreigners for money laundering scheme

webfact

36 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Absolutely shocking , I'm sure, but  its between him and the authorities. Nothing at all to do with you whatsoever

This entire thread is about illegal activities that are between the perpetrators and authorities and have nothing to do with us, and yet here we are discussing them 🤔

• Like 1

23 hours ago, freeworld said:

And if the applicant is given the all clear and then comes to Thailand and commits crime? Would that help?

Banks should be regulated to do more rigorous KYC checks on who they do business with and the nature and legality of the business trading and any suspicious activity should be reported.

The fact that even tourists and non real resident can open bank accounts in Thailand should be dealt with.

Check the offshore leaks database, one will find many addresses linked to Thailand.

https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/

True. Especially the previously unelected PM and the other soldiers involved in the illegal 2014 Coup.

I’m not saying the RTP should not probe wealthy foreigners for money laundering, because I’m sure there are plenty of dodgy foreigners here doing all kinds of illegal things. Usually with the help of Thai officials, who get paid very handsomely for their ‘services’, by the way.

The corruption in Thailand itself is so much bigger, though, and a much bigger problem. Maybe the RTP should concentrate more of their efforts on that? 
But of course it’s easier to go after those nasty foreigners who are taking advantage of the kindness and hospitality of Thai people. And going after corrupt officials in Thailand itself would mean the RTP would have to go after many of its own. Can’t have that, can we?

• Agree 2

On 5/13/2024 at 5:54 AM, webfact said:

.....These individuals were found to have operated a fraudulent website on the CIB Facebook page.......

Only then did the General and his team of Investgators smell a rat?

Should start investigating all these agents, lot of laundering there with fees paid to the agents to secure visas, and funds handed over in bags to immigration officers to approve them.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Should start investigating all these agents, lot of laundering there with fees paid to the agents to secure visas, and funds handed over in bags to immigration officers to approve them.

Oh boo who,  so you're a little bitter now are you? 

You forked out a sum of money to get your elite visa only to find out others can get a visa for less money via an agent.    TIT what do you expect really. 

A lot of government departments are not necessarly paid a great salary.  Probably why corruption is rank.  They too need money to live/survive. 

It's not a Western orientated society but it works for them.... sort of. 

Edited by Korat Kiwi
  • Confused 3
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That's a great advertisement for the Elite visa scheme - spend 800,000+ baht, get probed for money-laundering for free as a bonus.

Apparently in Pattaya you can spend a lot less... and still get probed. 

Just saying

On 5/13/2024 at 1:33 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Who was it again who had that idea with the privilege card? Hint: he is a Thai criminal.

And was anybody surprised that rich criminals used money to buy their stay in Thailand? What a surprise. Or maybe not?

Slight diversion, bit many who use the alternative method of living here, a retirement extension, have also somehow used a bit of money to bypass the need to have substantially more. Not a surprise either. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Oh boo who,  so you're a little bitter now are you? 

You forked out a sum of money to get your elite visa only to find out others can get a visa for less money via an agent.    TIT what do you expect really. 

A lot of government departments are not necessarly paid a great salary.  Probably why corruption is rank.  They too need money to live/survive. 

It's not a Western orientated society but it works for them.... sort of. 

I've been here over a decade, i bought a visa (elite) not because x was cheaper/costier but because i value my time and didn't need annoyances of dealing with visa's.

This doesn't change that there are hundreds of thousands of people using agents, and these agents are essentially paid a premium to grease the wheels of immigration officers in many cases, and a lot of people shouldn't be here as i highlighted above, and are essentially doing visa fraud, and money laundering.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sure, I also know people with that visa who can afford it and are normal people - not criminals.

But I think it is obvious when you offer something for a lot of money which buys people the VIP treatment at the airport, that that attracts certain people who don't want to be scrutinized. 

There's no 'vip treatment'. it's basically a golf buggy and you get to go through the Thai entry/exit which means they are more likely to scrutinise as you are not Thai and their line is smaller.. - I used to do that anyway (excluding buggy - and never bothered to use the buggy before).

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

There's no 'vip treatment'. it's basically a golf buggy and you get to go through the Thai entry/exit which means they are more likely to scrutinise as you are not Thai and their line is smaller.. - I used to do that anyway (excluding buggy - and never bothered to use the buggy before).

I have no personal experience. I remember I spoke with a rich American professor who had this visa and I asked him to buy something for me and bring it with him to Thailand. I was prepared to pay tax and duty - if necessary. He told me don't worry, I just walk through there, nobody ever stopped me. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

I've been here over a decade, i bought a visa (elite) not because x was cheaper/costier but because i value my time and didn't need annoyances of dealing with visa's.

This doesn't change that there are hundreds of thousands of people using agents, and these agents are essentially paid a premium to grease the wheels of immigration officers in many cases, and a lot of people shouldn't be here as i highlighted above, and are essentially doing visa fraud, and money laundering.

Maybe you have a busy business schedule, where time means lots of money. But for me, it doesn't seem worth it to pay 1 million baht or whatever it is, to avoid a couple of hours at Chaengwattana one morning per year.

Edited by John Drake
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Maybe you have a busy business schedule, where time means lots of money. But for me, it doesn't seem worth it to pay 1 million baht or whatever it is, to avoid a couple of hours at Chaengwattana one morning per year.

Wasn't 1m THB when i did it...

Was 500,000 THB

42 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Wasn't 1m THB when i did it...

Was 500,000 THB

Is that lifetime, or 20 year. I agree that 500K sounds a lot more reasonable, especially if you're one of those early applicants who I think (maybe wrong) got Elite good for your life. Frankly, I might even do that myself, if it were still possible--and for 500,000.