Bad News For Weed Shops: Potent Cannabis Poses Mental Health Risks

webfact

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Anyone who has any doubts about the negative impact that cannabis might have on mental and physical health of users, especially the young, should read this article.

Cannabis legalization has led to a boom in potent forms of the drug that present new hazards for adolescents

Interesting this article talks about alcohol and adolescents..

"The best analogy is with another drug – alcohol. Most people know that a 12-ounce beer is much less potent than 12 ounces of vodka. Cannabis in smoked form is closer to the beer, while a concentrate is more like the vodka. Neither is safe for an adolescent, but one is even more dangerous."

Why not examine the effects of alcohol on adolescents too.  Yet they still sell that..

• Agree 1

Anyone who has any doubts about the negative impact that cannabis might have on mental and physical health of users, especially the young, should read this article.

Cannabis legalization has led to a boom in potent forms of the drug that present new hazards for adolescents

Interesting this article talks about alcohol and adolescents..

"The best analogy is with another drug – alcohol. Most people know that a 12-ounce beer is much less potent than 12 ounces of vodka. Cannabis in smoked form is closer to the beer, while a concentrate is more like the vodka. Neither is safe for an adolescent, but one is even more dangerous."

Why not examine the effects of alcohol on adolescents too.  Yet they still sell that..

2 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Funny that, I and most of my friends who started smoking weed,dropping mushrooms etc. at 14/15 years didn't develop any mental health problems. A healthy disrespect for governments and the system in general, yes... 

And IMO thats the reason most govs want to keep it banned.

Quite the contrary, it's legalised (or planned to be) by more and more governments throughout the world. A stoned population is easier to control.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JoePai said:

Everyone agrees the taking of cannabis can cause health problems but so do other “drugs” like tobacco and alcohol so why are they not being classified as a scheduled narcotics ?

It is a problem when it is presented as the miracle drug, and it becomes "legal" over the night without any further guidelines.

Introducing potent weed to a totally new group of people who most likely never would had used it if it was not "legalized" as it have been now, which hae led to abuse and neglecting the original idea of sale and use, which was legalized  for medical use and not recreational use. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Wait a minute. Farmers complaining about loss in profit since it was decriminalized? How were they growing it when it was criminalized? 

This is about a flooded market (one could say a healthy market) and reduction in prices and profits. Thought that would be obvious.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Magic mushies. Psychotropic? Yes. LSD. Psychotropic? Yes. Dope. Psychotropic? No. Well none I've ever had and I've smoked and eaten some pretty strong stuff. 

psychotropic substance:
A drug or other substance that affects how the brain works and causes changes in mood, awareness, thoughts, feelings, or behavior. Examples of psychotropic substances include alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, and certain pain medicines.

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/psychotropic-substance

I prefer to use "psychoactive" actually.

It seems you are one of those who can control it. Many don't.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

the last people to know they are psychotic are people suffering from psychosis

The first people to know that someone is full of it, is the people that have to smell it.

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The facts are from medical experts and scientists.

Not sellers and smokers.

Yet the deniers keep complaining and scream 'alcohol, alcohol, alcohol'.

No the "facts" are by no means that clear - those who "instinctively" want to banned drugs have always made claims like this but there just isn't any substantial evidence to support this.

• Agree 1

Everyone agrees the taking of cannabis can cause health problems but so do other “drugs” like tobacco and alcohol so why are they not being classified as a scheduled narcotics ?

Very simple : the Chinese approve of both and make loads of money on those, especially save old age pensions promoting chain smoking the cheapest of mattress weed in paper rolls. Cannabis however can create free thinking and the will to dress, behave, think freely, be artistic, in one word be a free, mellow individual. We can't have that there and the local emotionally challenged spooks agree fully, people should work, have kids , get pissed on monopoly drink, pay taxes , work, pay taxes,  buy condo, pay more taxes, splash water and noise, work more , be happy with 600 Baht pensions......a smoke of dreams can only be in the way. I hate to admit it but I almost miss general P. and the cucumber troop.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

psychotropic substance:
A drug or other substance that affects how the brain works and causes changes in mood, awareness, thoughts, feelings, or behavior. Examples of psychotropic substances include alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, and certain pain medicines.

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/psychotropic-substance

I prefer to use "psychoactive" actually.

It seems you are one of those who can control it. Many don't.

Yes. Psychoactive and psychotropic are different. Other psychoactive drugs can include alcohol, caffeine and nicotine for example. Way too many people on this thread that push the demonising narrative with very little knoweledge of what their talking about.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Cannabis, while not solely responsible, has been consistently linked to the onset of psychosis, mental disorders, and even more severe conditions. Alarmingly, suicidal thoughts are reported among regular users as well

this is simply misleading - there is very little proper research into this and the claims are repeatedly made without any substantiation - knowing that is you repeat something often enough, it becomes "true".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

to many drunks and smokers in the goverment

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Oh btw, you are aware that the same medical experts and scientists approved it to become legalized right?  LOLLL

No they didn't.

Show me the input that North Shore University New York, Lancet Psychiatry and the Institute on Drug Abuse had in Thai legislation on weed.

1 hour ago, sabai-dee-man said:

Yes, exactly. He dabbled a bit on occasion "for medicinal reasons", but I came back at the end of 2022 to find him skiving off work and sitting in weed bars continuously. 6 months later the job was gone, 9 months later the house was gone. He couldn't even be arsed to rent the house out as an AirBnB. Totally lost the will to be a productive member of society. 

As for friend #2, he openly admits himself, smoking dope absolutely led him on to hard drugs.

Believe what you want. It makes no odds to me.

what utter twaddle, using weed to avoid accountability

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Yes. Psychoactive and psychotropic are different. Other psychoactive drugs can include alcohol, caffine and nicotine for example. Way too many people on this thread that push the demonising narrative with very little knoweledge of what their talking about.

I don't take this personally but just to be clear, I can assure you I know what I am talking about.

One thing I consistently notice on weed threads is how hostile the weed proponents are towards criticism.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

In just 2 minutes I found articles in medical journals that state the contrary !!!

https://www.health.com/condition/chronic-pain/marijuana-benefits-risks

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK425767/

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20240404/Study-shows-positive-impact-of-medical-marijuana-laws-on-mental-health.aspx

• Agree 2

RUBBISH !! What about the poision Lokal whiskey killing people or it seems mental health should protect Thai youth where its not uncommon  to see under age going to the village shops to buy beer for the parents and adults !! Thailands has one of the highest road alcahol related fatalities globally !! 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I don't take this personally but just to be clear, I can assure you I know what I am talking about.

One thing I consistently notice on weed threads is how hostile the weed proponents are towards criticism.

When people criticise dope calling it a psychotropic drug then these people are uneducated to the facts. Education is a good thing but when pointed out it's responded to with negative comments. There is and I'll say it again there is no scientic evidence that dope should be reclassified as a type5 narcotic and hence recriminalised. It's political and it's Thaksin.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

And what has beer to do with cannabis?😳

Both are drugs, but better stoned then drunken. If Putin and Zelensky have had a nice Joint for sure there wouldn't be a war.