Former Minister Itthipol Free Amid Pattaya Condo Controversy

webfact

15 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Once a person is indicted, the statute of limitations no longer applies. Thai prosecutors deliberately drag out the case to make sure influential people are never indicted.  That's not easy to do. This case had to drag out for 15 years.

He was indicted just 4 weeks before the 15-year statute of limitation expired.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

So all the hollow noises about fighting corruption in Thailand have come to naught?

There's no corruption in Thailand. You wanna go to jail for insulting the monarchy with all this nonsense!? :biggrin:

5 hours ago, Boedog said:

The Red Bull guy doesn't own it does he?

There we go again, just five posts in and the 1st predictable red bull whinge,    

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't understand this statute of limitations nonsense. If a crime has been committed then keep going until a verdict is reached. Why do cases have an expiry date? Suddenly the alleged crime doesn't count anymore? Time's up. Nothing to see here. Move on. Red Bull guy next, only one more charge against him to go before he can arrive back in Thailand with a huge grin on his face., free as a bird after allegedly killing a cop. No court necessary. On your way, son.

What did they wait until 1 month before the expiry of limitations period to sue ?

And if they sued 1 month before the expiry of limitations, why did they say the limitations period has expired ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firemans35 said:

When does the red bull guy get to come home?

And another,   could somebody please drag Donald Trump into this thread too, just to keep it balanced

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Once a person is indicted, the statute of limitations no longer applies. Thai prosecutors deliberately drag out the case to make sure influential people are never indicted.  That's not easy to do. This case had to drag out for 15 years.

And if I was "influential" I wouldn't want it to be any different, neither would anybody else

2 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

In this case, the court even officially recorded in their statement that the NACC had not intended to file the case within the statute of limitations.

Posted (edited)

Itthipol's timeline

from a ThaiPBS article on September 06, 2023

Former Culture Minister Itthiphol Kunplome wanted on corruption charges has left Thailand for Cambodia before an arrest warrant was issued against him, said an immigration police source on Wednesday.

Ittiphol boarded Cambodia Airways flight KR0702 from Bangkok to Phnom Penh on August 30, the source said.

tthiphol was supposed to report to the provincial public prosecutor to acknowledge the charges filed against him by the Region 2 NACC, but he did not do so, prompting the prosecutor to issue a summons. Again, he failed to show up and is believed to have fled from Thailand on August 30, so the prosecutor sought at an arrest warrant.

from The Nation article on October 09, 2023

Itthipol disembarked his flight from Phnom Penh at Suvarnabhumi Airport at 10am and was immediately taken into custody by immigration police.

The arrest warrant was issued last month after Itthipol fled Thailand on August 30, one day after the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) ordered him to be prosecuted.

At 12.35pm on Monday, Itthipol was taken to the OAG’s Area 2 Office for corruption cases in Rayong’s Muang district to hear the charges. He was accompanied by his lawyer.

He smiled at waiting reporters as he entered the building, but made no comment.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Legal action against Itthipol and nine others began on August 3 last year by the Attorney General’s Office. However, the case's 15-year statute of limitations expired on September 10. The ex-minister was facing serious accusations under Section 157 of the Criminal Code, carrying a potential sentence of one to ten years in prison.

I read this as follows:

The prosecutors waited 15 years and charged him one month before the statute expired. He subsequently fled to Cambodia for a month and came back beginning of October, about 20 days after his case's statute had expired. And now these charges were dismissed by the court on the grounds that the statute had expired.

A finely choreographed charade, paid for by the Thai taxpayer. He did not "take advantage of" or "play" the system, he followed every step in the way the system was designed for, from the way the prosecutors "prosecuted", to the limit of the "limited" statutes, to the court's "courted" verdict. Beautiful.

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Peabody said:

He was indicted just 4 weeks before the 15-year statute of limitation expired.

52 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

In this case, the court even officially recorded in their statement that the NACC had not intended to file the case within the statute of limitations.

That's right, the complaint has to be filed with the court in order for it to be valid. In the past, the stipulation was that the accused had to be brought before the court but if I remember correctly that changed under the Prayut administration so they could convict Thaksin in absentia.  But the Thai justice system is obviously flexible and the rules change depending on who is involved.

23 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

There we go again, just five posts in and the 1st predictable red bull whinge,    

sorry to upset you princess,  l didn't know only your opinion mattered 

2 hours ago, Boedog said:

sorry to upset you princess,  l didn't know only your opinion mattered 

get over yourself, and stop crying about something that is none of your concern   look a bit deeper, its not only my opinion, you are a member of a very sad minority 

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2024 at 7:47 AM, Ironmike said:

He's probably friends with our beloved leader Taksin and his sister

He's the son of Kamnan Poh, aka the Godfather of Chonburi, and part of the mafia family that run Chonburi province.

On 5/14/2024 at 11:34 PM, digger70 said:

Free Amid Pattaya Condo Controversy.

Pretty smart Dude to String this along for 15 Yrs and a Few Donations I Guess .

On 5/14/2024 at 11:20 PM, jaywalker2 said:

I remember the stop work order happened in 2014 not lonng after the coup. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/15/2024 at 5:18 PM, Bday Prang said:

And another,   could somebody please drag Donald Trump into this thread too, just to keep it balanced

Wrong. I asked not because of the story we're all talking about. I asked because of the other person and the person you quoted.