Why are fares more expensive for foreigners in Thailand?

Dual pricing, or "Discount for locals" exists the world over. In the UK, a number of the non metropolitan tourist sites offer a locals discount, turn up at start of the year, show your Council Tax Bill or a Utility Bill and photo ID and you'll pay the full entrance price or with an additional slight percentage charge and get full access for the rest of the year without paying again.

20 years ago when I was waiting in the taxi line back of g level at MBK a tuk tuk driver came to me and told me that he can take where I want. I replied: do I look stupid to you ? I take a meter taxi much cheaper than your tuk tuk , AC , no black smoke in my longs and safer. 

Very usufull article for unacceptable Thai hospital policy that descriminate foreigners.........

The treatment costs are now set at different levels for various groups:

1.Thai nationals

2.Foreigners from neighbouring countries

3.Working foreigners holding non-immigrant visas

4.Tourists and retirees. (??????????)

Source:

https://www.pacificprime.co.th/blog/dual-pricing-at-thai-public-hospitals-and-the-implications-on-foreigners/

Thai liberal "quality" medical junda or mafia "cartel"? 

Congratulation bravo "ladies" and few "jentlemen" it reminds me colombian "cartel" and nigerian "mafia" .....practices!

1 minute ago, Paris333 said:

Very usufull article for unacceptable Thai hospital policy that descriminate foreigners.........

The treatment costs are now set at different levels for various groups:

1.Thai nationals

2.Foreigners from neighbouring countries

3.Working foreigners holding non-immigrant visas

4.Tourists and retirees. (??????????)

Source:

https://www.pacificprime.co.th/blog/dual-pricing-at-thai-public-hospitals-and-the-implications-on-foreigners/

Thai liberal "quality" medical junda or mafia "cartel"? 

Congratulation bravo "ladies" and few "jentlemen" it reminds me colombian "cartel" and nigerian "mafia" .....practices!

What you have written is only true as a rule, in some tourists areas, by and large it is at the discretion of each hospital. Here in the North there is very little segregated pricing that you describe, perhaps more so in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya perhaps. 

5 hours ago, isaanistical said:

"Why are fares more expensive for foreigners in Thailand?"

The premise is bolox, to start with. I pay the same on buses as the Thai behind or ahead of me.

Tuktuk (illustrated by alleged "OP"): I pay the same 30 baht from the market to my condo as my (Thai) wife or any other Thai.

BTS, MRT, SRT: I pay same as Thais. So thru which orifice is "OP" talking?

Your post isn't a true reflection of what is being discussed here. Your examples are, in the main, all fixed rate modes of transport (other than possibly the tuktuk). There isn't really the option to be fare gouged on public transport.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, RayWright said:

Dual pricing, or "Discount for locals" exists the world over. In the UK, a number of the non metropolitan tourist sites offer a locals discount, turn up at start of the year, show your Council Tax Bill or a Utility Bill and photo ID and you'll pay the full entrance price or with an additional slight percentage charge and get full access for the rest of the year without paying again.

Flawed argument...  What you describe is based on 'residency'... 

Thus, with the overseas / UK examples you provide, any foreigner who is able to show the same documentation, i.e. residency is afforded the same discounts.

Conversely, the Thai Dual pricing is based solely on nationality, even when a foreigner has a work-permit, residency etc.

6 hours ago, isaanistical said:

"Why are fares more expensive for foreigners in Thailand?"

The premise is bolox, to start with. I pay the same on buses as the Thai behind or ahead of me.

Tuktuk (illustrated by alleged "OP"): I pay the same 30 baht from the market to my condo as my (Thai) wife or any other Thai.

BTS, MRT, SRT: I pay same as Thais. So thru which orifice is "OP" talking?

The Op is talking through the orifice that understands the difference between fixed rate public transport where dual charging would be impossible...    and area's where dual charging is prevalent... 

Try asking a TukTuk for the local rate...  Try and get the Local rate at a national park...  Try and get the local rate at Government  Hospital...      then you'll realise the the bolox you mention are stuck to your rose tinted glasses....    

17 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

What you have written is only true as a rule, in some tourists areas, by and large it is at the discretion of each hospital. Here in the North there is very little segregated pricing that you describe, perhaps more so in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya perhaps. 

Do they list the pricing so that you can see ?

How do you know that you are not paying the 'foreigner price' for the same treatment a Thai would receive and billed less for ?

It also happens in Private Hospitals... 

- Wife had a minor procedure and was going to be charged something like 50,000 baht on the insurance, then she highlighted that she was going to pay out of pocket, because her insurance covers inpatient care only....  the Bill dropped by 10,000 baht... 

... The hospital accounting dept highlighted that the higher charge was for 'international insurance companies' !!!!

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do they list the pricing so that you can see ?

How do you know that you are not paying the 'foreigner price' for the same treatment a Thai would receive and billed less for ?

It also happens in Private Hospitals... 

- Wife had a minor procedure and was going to be charged something like 50,000 baht on the insurance, then she highlighted that she was going to pay out of pocket, because her insurance covers inpatient care only....  the Bill dropped by 10,000 baht... 

... The hospital accounting dept highlighted that the higher charge was for 'international insurance companies' !!!!

Not that I'm aware of. This has been discussed by Sheryl many times in the past.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:51 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Dont get sick or have an accident, the medical charges for foreigners are way more higher than for tuk tuks. And dont come without medical insurance.  

Go to a government hospital, not a private one. Foreigners are charged the same as locals, except we don't get the "one disease, 30 baht" deal. Of course, you'll wait a long time, but it's cheap.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Foreigners are charged the same as locals, except we don't get the "one disease, 30 baht" deal. Of course, you'll wait a long time, but it's cheap.

Not correct...     The Thai courts ruled in favour of Dual Pricing.... 

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Between those two users there were three topics opened in quick succession. All pretty much just a stock image as post. Registered same time, posting on each others threads... and you don't think this looks a wee bit suspicious?

Both stopped activity after this. Both logged in last 1 hour ago with just a few minutes apart between them. Both topics are very generic and supposed to generate discussions. I have more suspicious user activities, some more sophisticated (and worrysome) but need more evidence.

With all the strange things going on with this forum, the obvious over use of AI in the news reports etc....   this wouldn't surprise me at all... 

But... Don't Gamma and GeorgiaGeorgia do the same ?

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Keeps said:

There isn't really the option to be fare gouged on public transport.

"Private" as opposed to public transport doesn't publish fares, so  where is the gouging? Not on Grab or Bolt, for sure. Anyone paying more than the proper rate for transport is a tourist, an idiot or both.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

With all the strange things going on with this forum, the obvious over use of AI in the news reports etc....   this wouldn't surprise me at all... 

But... Don't Gamma and GeorgiaGeorgia do the same ?

Agree. I no longer read any 'news' pieces here (this fares one was the last and a good example)  because now there is no attribution, no facts and no sources. Trash.