Buying A Motorcycle Without A Greenbook. Yes I Am Nuts !!!!!

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Buying A Motorcycle Without A Greenbook. Yes I Am Nuts !!!!!

Yes you are.  So?  Don't do it.

Erm... all you had to do was read a few posts above yours and you'd see that he's already binned the idea... 

3 hours ago, idiot baby said:

Awesome responses everyone.   It was kind of a grail bike for me.  A rare one you don't see often.   Anyway, I'd be nuts to proceed so I'm not.   Hard one to walk away from though. 

For those that don't know - there are dozens of bikes and cars for sale on FB Marketplace at the moment that are scams.

Repo Scam

They use various stories to excuse why there is no registration document - a common one at the moment is that they are reposessions which is BS........ finance companies hold the documents so they would have them if its genuine - just stay away from them all.

Deposit Scam

On the same platforms there are several variations of the 'Deposit Scam' - this one's been around for years in various guises.  The usual script is that a bike or car is advertised at a ridiculously cheap price.  You contact the seller and they will give you various stories like the owner's left the country......Bla bla bla.  They've had a lot of interest but lots of messers, they are tired of being mucked around.  The car is 100% but if you want to view it, send a small deposit which they will of course refund if you find it hasn't been accurately described. They will hold it for you. Many variations but same underlying story.

Of course, you will be given a fake address and once you pay the deposit, you won't be able to contact them - they've got what they wanted - a deposit from you and 100 other people.

I've reported dozens on Facebook and Ebay yet the ads are still up weeks later. They steal photos from other cars for sale and you will sometimes see the same photos used on different cars in different areas.  One or two that I've seen are advertised as being in Bangkok, for example but the houses in the distance are clearly not in Thailand - not unless they've started building houses in Bangkok with chimneys on them.

To give you an idea of how long this has been going on - I once saw a car advertised as being in Pattaya but it had a UK tax disc in the window.  in any case, the UK stopped issuing tax discs in 2014 with the last ones expiring in 2015!

I've seen a mix of the two scams recently too.  Don't be daft, don't touch anything that isn't a straight deal.

• Agree 1