Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

On 5/24/2024 at 9:42 AM, rabas said:

Multiple Ukrainian drones hit the Voronezh-DM long-range early warning radar system in Krasnodar (Russia facing Crimea), a massive radar with 6000 km range able to track 500 targets at once. (hmm ... but not drones)  

This could open the door for Western missiles hitting inside Russia unimpeded, if permission is given.  

[reference][X-reference]

I wonder how long it will take to repair the radar.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have a question.

Americans or other NATO westerners that move to Russia, publish propaganda about how great Russia is compared to the west, and openly support Russia to win over Ukraine -- can they fairly be labeled as traitors?

The same scenario in WW2 would have no ambiguity -- they would be traitors 100 percent. 

So the underlying question is if NATO is at was with Russia (the Russian government definitely thinks so). If that's actually the case, they are traitors, yes?

Only traitors under conditions of an act of war.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

openly support Russia to win over Ukraine -- can they fairly be labeled as traitors?

In Russia supporting other side is punishable by law. First time there is a fine, second time - jail time. So you suggest that West should not step far from Russia in terms of freedom of speech and apply the same punishments?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, VBer said:

In Russia supporting other side is punishable by law. First time there is a fine, second time - jail time. So you suggest that West should not step far from Russia in terms of freedom of speech and apply the same punishments?

Hold your horses.

I suggested nothing of the kind.

I just asked if they can fairly be called traitors.

I can see purely technically because NATO and Russia are not officially at war (yet still basically are) calling them traitors isn't fair.

So I'm looking for another word.

I said nothing about penalties.

I'm fine if such people move to Russia. Their support of the war against Ukraine does offend me very much though.

I will add that a very visible leader of the pro Putin/pro Z fascist war American living in Russia describes what's happening as a new cold war. I don't think so! This is much more than a COLD war, isn't it? BTW -- he says God is on Russia's side to win the war. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The US is shipping 300 Bradley fighting vehicles to Ukraine. The crew will have to be trained to operate the Bradley.

Unfortunately, one Russian drone can take out a Bradley and kill the crew.

Perhaps warfare has changed so that such vehicles are obsolete.

Maybe warfare is about flying mass numbers of drones, flooding the battlefield, and creating large kill zones. Assuming Russian jamming can be overcome.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I have a question.

Americans or other NATO westerners that move to Russia, publish propaganda about how great Russia is compared to the west, and openly support Russia to win over Ukraine -- can they fairly be labeled as traitors?

The same scenario in WW2 would have no ambiguity -- they would be traitors 100 percent. 

So the underlying question is if NATO is at was with Russia (the Russian government definitely thinks so). If that's actually the case, they are traitors, yes?

yes of course they can be labelled traitors in the common meaning of the word, regardless of the legal meaning.

From the Oxford dictionary:

traitor (to somebody/something) a person who betrays their friends, their country, etc. by giving away secrets about them, by lying to or about them or by doing other things that will harm them

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/traitor

these people do harm their own country and they do lie.

they are agents of influence for the benefit of a foreign power.

people who provide foreign countries with classified intelligence about their own country are traitors, correct ?

well, these agents of influence do also sell out their country for the benefit of a foreign hostile country, albeit what they do is not a prosecutable offence in peacetime. but they are certainly traitors.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The US is shipping 300 Bradley fighting vehicles to Ukraine. The crew will have to be trained to operate the Bradley.

Unfortunately, one Russian drone can take out a Bradley and kill the crew.

Perhaps warfare has changed so that such vehicles are obsolete.

Maybe warfare is about flying mass numbers of drones, flooding the battlefield, and creating large kill zones. Assuming Russian jamming can be overcome.

yes, it's possible that a lancet kills a Bradley and its crew. But you state that as if that's what would usually happen.

the reality is, it would have to be a lucky hit.
what usually happens is that the Bradley takes damage to its external systems, such as smoke grenades, optics, explosive armor if present etc. and would then need repairs.

some lucky hits for the Ruzzians can immobilize the Bradley, and then the crew has to bail.

and some extremely lucky hits could theoretically destroy the Bradley and its crew.

I say theoretically because I was unable to find a video of a Bradley being destroyed by a Lancet drone even on Ruzzian channels.

don't hesitate to post a link to a video of a Lancet destroying a Bradley, I was unable to find any, sure, there were vids of Ruzzians climaxing over burning smoke grenades, but no video of a Bradley being destroyed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Seppius said:

History will judge them as so, Putin will be right up there with Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot now, millions will die because of him, maybe already have

I agree.

What really gets me about these western  Z bozos is how hard they're working to get others to join them.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Seppius said:

History will judge them as so, Putin will be right up there with Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot now, millions will die because of him, maybe already have

You are so right. Millions have died in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Gaza… oh wait. Sorry, not skin colour. Wrong religion, wrong culture. Doesn’t count as lives for white men like you.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, rabas said:

Your question is malformed.

Nevertheless, an inconvenient question in which the answer goes against your narrative. As expected.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

You are so right. Millions have died in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Gaza… oh wait. Sorry, not skin colour. Wrong religion, wrong culture. Doesn’t count as lives for white men like you.

I thought he was being sarcastic, but I'm not familiar with his previous opinions on the topic.

Short of nuclear war, which would likely be triggered by western actions ( NATO troops in Ukraine etc ), I don't see how "millions" could die in a relatively small scale war.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I have a question 

Biden to Skip Peace Summit in Switzerland for Hollywood Fundraiser

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/33235

Does this mean that:

a) he knows that it’s a farce and he does not wish to be associated with it 

or

b) he doesn’t like to be in the company of losers?

I assume it's because he knows it's a lost cause and he needs more money for his losing campaign.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

I read about 1 to 1.5 years max but depends on what was hit on the inside and availability of Western parts. Looks like they hit the middle floor, which likely houses more sophisticated parts. Oddly, you don't see a radar antenna because it's built inside the building's wall. Some Russians suggested these were just admin buildings so no damage, ha ha, but it's a bit weird to build two giant 15 story admin buildings facing SW and SE which are the radar's operational directions. You can see the giant radar patch on the left building facing lower left.

Voronezh-DM radar system deployment site / Satellite photo cred: Google Earth

This is a big deal because it was part of Russia's strategic nuclear defense system. Also look at Sepplus's post above and the referenced War Zone article. 

While it may very well be a radar facility, and if Russian planners decided to build a gigantic radar facility that would be one of the first things to be destroyed in the event of an actual conflict, without having a backup somewhere, they would be extremely lax.

Apparently the US has a bunch of people in the Pentagon that do nothing but think up possible scenarios, and would the Russians be less likely to have the same?

Of course, western people like to imagine that the Russians are barely advanced intellectually from cavemen and would never be as clever as western people are to think of such a thing. As one poster used to describe them, nothing more than a nation of orcs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, rabas said:

But there's another angle. The coverage hole also includes the eastern Mediterranean, a favorite holiday spot for Western advanced strategic nuclear missile subs, which now have a clear shot to Moscow. [reference, lower left map] 

Completely irrelevant unless you assume that the US is going to launch a first strike on Russia. They can have every nuclear missile in western arsenal in the eastern Med, but it's not going mean spit unless they use them.

13 hours ago, rabas said:

With a gaping hole in his nuclear missile defense system, do you think Putin would dare use tactical nukes in Ukraine?

Do you think the west will trigger MAD just because some tactical nukes are used in Ukraine? If you do, I think it is yourself that has a vivid imagination.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Interesting, well done France.

French military instructors to visit Ukrainian training centres soon, Ukraine commander says

"I am pleased to welcome France's initiative to send instructors to Ukraine to train Ukrainian servicemen," Oleksandr Syrskyi said on the Telegram messaging app after talks via video link with French defence minister Sebastien Lecornu.
"I have already signed the documents that will enable the first French instructors to visit our training centres shortly and familiarize themselves with their infrastructure and personnel."

French President Emmanuel Macron has opened the door to sending troops to Ukraine and at a conference in Paris on Feb. 26 suggested that one area Western troops could help with would be to train Ukrainians in Ukraine.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-commander-french-military-instructors-visit-ukrainian-training-centres-2024-05-27/

https://archive.ph/oIh3C

I wonder how long it would take for them to return in body bags.

Nevetheless, all these desperate actions just speak to the fact that Ukraine is running out of men. Poor Ukraine.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1