Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You have completely lost the plot.

You are okay with Russia annihilating Ukrainian civilians, but not Gazans.

I guess you don't mind following the Moscow party line.

In anticipation of being wrongly  accused of being a sympathizer for Putin I believe that there are many such as myself that perceive the two conflicts in non equivalent terms.

The Russian attack on Ukraine is a conventional war with focus on military territorial objectives with the unfortunate relatively small percentage of civilian collateral deaths and injuries which more often than not directly reported are as a result of downing incoming ordinance short of target and causing civilian damage.

The Israeli attack on Gaza in a vain effort to oust an undergrounded Urban Terrorist Militia by having no concern for civilian collateral deaths of tens of thousands of people who just prior were even employees assisting the economic base of Israel.  With genocidal outcome if not deliberate  intent Netanyahu has been widely accused of prolonging a war that feeds itself to save his own corrupt fundaments .

Not surprisingly the combined impact and slow but relentless revelations of genuine facts involved in both situations has and is just as relentlessly  creating an attitude of caution in the perceptions of the same people who actually are important in the overall influence on politics.

MSM is currently almost rabid with unverifiable pro Ukraine propaganda countered by the usual lack of responses or dire warnings by Putin.

IMHO the world is currently lucky that the USA is imploding itself over the  next POTUS lottery.

It is the result of that ticket holder that is the real question.

• Confused 4
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

NYT

Journalists and groups monitoring press freedoms are raising alarms over what they say are increasing restrictions and pressures on the media in Ukraine under the government of President Volodymyr Zelensky that go well beyond the country’s wartime needs.

“It’s really disturbing,” said Oksana Romanyuk, director of the Institute of Mass Information, a nonprofit that monitors media freedoms. That is particularly true, she said, in a war where Ukraine is “fighting for democracy against the values of dictatorship embodied by Russia.”

https://archive.ph/QjwFj

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

And?

Since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, almost all independent media have been banned, blocked and/or declared “foreign agents” or “undesirable organisations”. All others are subject to military censorship. All privately owned independent TV channels are banned from the air, except for cable entertainment channels. Many western media such as Euronews, France 24 and the BBC are no longer accessible in the country, without an announcement of any legal, administrative or judicial decision. The media regulator, Roskomnadzor, has censored most independent news sites, and the most popular ones, such as Meduza and TV Rain, have been declared “undesirable organisations”, which means that mentioning them or quoting them can lead to criminal proceedings. The remaining media are owned by the state or by Kremlin allies. Their employees must follow orders issued by the president’s office regarding subjects to be avoided, and must censor themselves closely. Radio stations are in the same situation. 

https://rsf.org/en/country/russia

I curate a newsfeed attempting to balance the thread with news that others don't want to focus on less it dilute the narative of the binary good vs evil framing of this war. Higher standards are expected from western partners and rightly so and my European taxpayers money is helping in it's small way to settle their bills ,that "and". For my sins I seem to accumulate any number of sad,laughing or confused emojis from anonymous keyboard warriors. I have learnt to grin and bear it - it's my lonely cross to bear, I forgive you all and I'm sure you are doing sterling work over on the Israel threads defending the international rules based order. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, beautifulthailand99 said:

I curate a newsfeed attempting to balance the thread with news that others don't want to focus on less it dilute the narative of the binary good vs evil framing of this war. Higher standards are expected from western partners and rightly so and my European taxpayers money is helping in it's small way to settle their bills ,that "and". For my sins I seem to accumulate any number of sad,laughing or confused emojis from anonymous keyboard warriors. I have learnt to grin and bear it - it's my lonely cross to bear, I forgive you all and I'm sure you are doing sterling work over on the Israel threads defending the international rules based order. 

yawn, its a war, "The rules bar journalists from working in “red zones” deemed the most dangerous" 

A million miles away from the restrictions imposed by Russia.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you work for a Russian troll farm?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you work for a Russian troll farm?

You wouldn't be the first  - the answer is  a firm no. I'm just a retired nobody with a lot of time on my hands who should be sorting out the loft. if I was then Russia has lost if they were paying me to post on a backwatwer to a handful of ageing expats in Thailand then they have truly lost the plot.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I just can't help thinking that I am now living in the most precarious and dangerous time of my existence, everything appears to be on the edge of the abyss. 

Whether it is political, economic or security based, it appears we are at a prophetical point in time.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel we are living in Apocalyptic times?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, balo said:

Putin on his way to North Korea for the first meeting in 20 years+  , he desperately needs weapons now.  And Kim will do anything to please him.  

Two dictators , hand in hand against the world .  Dictatorships never survives. 
Try to do something foolish fat Kim and N-Korea will cease to exist. 

spacer.png

hahah putin is even shorter than kim ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, peterrabbit said:

I just can't help thinking that I am now living in the most precarious and dangerous time of my existence, everything appears to be on the edge of the abyss. 

Whether it is political, economic or security based, it appears we are at a prophetical point in time.

And you didn't think that during COVID?

15 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Personal ancecdotes from folks with relatives / friends/ visits to the 2 countries whilst potentially intrerseting are not really relevant to the debate. I follow a number of different forums on Ukraine one on Mumsnet has 2 Ukrainains that have fallen out completely with close family members in the occupied oblasts that fully support Russia. It really is a slavic civil war in those areas with familes divided by beleifs and one we should have stayed well out of.  

In the past discussion I have more than once pointed out that this is a Russian/ Ukrainian squabble and we should not get involved.

Seems the idea of bleeding Russia was too tempting for the neocons that IMO run the USA to ignore, unfortunately. They have a track record of trying to do that ( Afghanistan, anyone? ). Pity that Britain ( which wisely stayed out of the US adventure in Vietnam ) has become such a poodle to the US, and jumped in boots and all.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, peterrabbit said:

Nah. I don't feel like that at all. I was too young to care about the Cuba crisis, but IMO that was the closest we came and didn't all die.

IMO the stakes are too high for anyone to start using nukes now, but if NATO puts a boot over the Ukraine border all bets are off.

If I misunderstood your post and it's not about nuclear winter, yes, we are at the literal cliff edge for western civilization, but IMO our leaders are too incompetent to save us, so whoops, over we go. We are, IMO somewhat like the lemmings in our behaviour, running full tilt to destruction.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

if I was then Russia has lost if they were paying me to post on a backwatwer to a handful of ageing expats in Thailand

Hammer, nail and head come to mind.

I doubt Biden and Putin read AN before making any decisions.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

It is highly relevant to have personal experience and family involved. The rest of you are mostly clueless, but it IS a Slavic dispute and has NOTHING to do with the USA or Europe. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS, and peace will come.

You really need to follow the post strings and read the post I was responding to :saai:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

More handwaving by you.

There are people who actually count Russian losses from published videos. It's a lot.

When losses are on the order of 4 to 1, it's not sustainable for Russia. 

I don't think you understand what "meat attacks" are, and why they are happening.

Carry on believing what you like.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that Russia is sustaining 4 times the losses that Ukraine is. But who knows? One day the figures might be released but even that might be fudged.

We’ll just have to see who can last longer.

I remember the Bakhmut meat grinder tactics that Russia executed on Ukraine.

• Haha 2