Latest developments and discussion of recent events in the Ukraine War

Massive Russian strikes hit Ukraine for second day - BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckg1lpe26ylo

The latest attacks are being seen as an attempt by Moscow to reassert its control over the conflict after Ukraine's recent gains of territory in Russia's Kursk region.

Russia has been targeting Ukraine's energy infrastructure since early on in its full-scale invasion, which began in February 2022.

In recent months it has renewed its campaign of attacks on the power grid, causing frequent blackouts across the country.

• Like 1

Never forget the Russians can inflict and take ruthless. staggering amounts of casulaties and pain that we can only have nightmares about and they don't flinch. Stalin died as a result of natural causes Putin will no dount go the same way.

Putin will soon turn his war machine on Britain

The Kremlin holds us responsible for its failures and will, at some point, attempt to exact its revenge
Ben Wallace

https://archive.is/Y3BwI

As I left I remember commenting to General Gerasimov that I was struck by how his military doctrine had “swapped mass for readiness and mobilisation”. At that moment another General leaned over to add: “and ruthless intimidation”. The mask had slipped. Most telling of all was the comment from General Gerasimov to me in the hallway. “Never again will we be humiliated. We used to be the fourth army in the world, now we are the first or second. It is us and the Americans.”

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/27/pokrovsk-quickly-packs-up-russian-invaders-close-in

Though Maryna is sure she is doing the right thing, it is not easy to give up what you know – “I just feel pain,” she says – and she worries that many other local people have not decided to quit. “Still a lot of people are staying, and they do not understand they could die. It is too dangerous, especially if you have children.” It is not clear what life awaits them in Rivne, where they will be received as displaced people.

Anticipating War Through 2025, Ukraine Is Standing Up New Mechanized Brigades

The Ukrainian army is standing up new mechanized brigades. It’s a sign Ukraine’s leaders don’t expect Russia’s wider war on Ukraine to end anytime soon. It could be months before the first of the new 2,000-person brigades has filled all its billets—and months longer before the brigades are ready for combat.

It’s unclear how many 160-series brigades the army is currently forming and what kinds of brigades they’ll be. If the previous round of army expansion is any indication, there could be 10.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/08/26/anticipating-war-through-2025-ukraine-is-standing-up-new-mechanized-brigades/

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Massive Russian strikes hit Ukraine for second day - BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckg1lpe26ylo

The latest attacks are being seen as an attempt by Moscow to reassert its control over the conflict after Ukraine's recent gains of territory in Russia's Kursk region.

Russia has been targeting Ukraine's energy infrastructure since early on in its full-scale invasion, which began in February 2022.

In recent months it has renewed its campaign of attacks on the power grid, causing frequent blackouts across the country.

I seem to remember some time ago reading posts indicating that the Russians had run out of missiles and the end was inevitable. Surprise, surprise, surprise!

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Ukraine is going to strike with their own long range missiles deep into Russia, The "Palianytsia", but unlike Russia, they will hit military targets

and Russia will continue blowing up Ukrainian electrical infrastructure. That's how it works in war. Let's see how the Ukrainians like living in winter with limited electricity.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

image.png.e84fb8a4b9458994c5be2e49d1390689.png

Ukraine says it controls 100 Russian settlements as Kursk incursion continues
Ukraine is continuing its offensive into Russia's Kursk territory, Kyiv's top military commander says.

Gen Oleksandr Syrskyi says Ukrainian troops control 1,294 sq km (500 sq miles) of Russian territory and 100 settlements. About 594 Russian servicemen were taken prisoner, he adds.

Last week, President Zelensky said Ukraine controlled more than 1,250 sq km of Russian territory.

Speaking via video link on Ukrainian TV, Syrskyi says one of the objectives of Ukraine's incursion into Kursk was to "distract significant numbers of enemy troops from other areas", such as Pokrovsk and Kurakhove in Donbas, and it was achieved successfully.

He adds that Russia was aware of this objective and is "concentrating its most combat-ready units in the Pokrovsk area".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

image.png.e84fb8a4b9458994c5be2e49d1390689.png

Ukraine says it controls 100 Russian settlements as Kursk incursion continues
Ukraine is continuing its offensive into Russia's Kursk territory, Kyiv's top military commander says.

Gen Oleksandr Syrskyi says Ukrainian troops control 1,294 sq km (500 sq miles) of Russian territory and 100 settlements. About 594 Russian servicemen were taken prisoner, he adds.

Last week, President Zelensky said Ukraine controlled more than 1,250 sq km of Russian territory.

Speaking via video link on Ukrainian TV, Syrskyi says one of the objectives of Ukraine's incursion into Kursk was to "distract significant numbers of enemy troops from other areas", such as Pokrovsk and Kurakhove in Donbas, and it was achieved successfully.

He adds that Russia was aware of this objective and is "concentrating its most combat-ready units in the Pokrovsk area".

yes ...

it doesn't make my uneasy feeling about Pokrovsk disappear though.

the orcs continue making incremental gains in the east as they continue to level everything to the ground.

I'm puzzled as to why the allies haven't figured out how to stop the orcs there.

I'm wondering what it would take.

I have yet to see an analysis of how the orcs are advancing and what an effective counter would look like.

• Like 1

This is the non-nuclear nuclear option warning that Putin sent to Ukraine yesterday. There is some dispute whether that is possible.

https://www.newsweek.com/kyiv-dam-hydroelectric-power-plant-russia-missile-1944417

Sergej Sumlenny, founder of the European Resilience Initiative Center, a German think tank, said on X that the Kyiv dam holds 3.7 billion tons of water.

"So a breach of Kyiv dam would kill thousands of civilians in Kyiv and nearby towns. Russia must be stopped by force. Now," he wrote.

Andriy Kovalenko, head of the Ukrainian National Security and Defense Council's Center for Countering Disinformation, confirmed the strike but said that "destroying [the dam] with missiles is impossible."

• Love It 1

All of you calm down and stop the personal attacks.

A reminder that moderators are not here to fight your battles for you. Further use of the report button to register disagreement with other members will result in account action.

I've removed a block of posts where whatever points were being made was rendered moot by name calling and insults that necessitated removal of the post.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Russia is dropping 750 FABs a week according to Zelensky - New York Times

https://archive.is/95iuG

A 152-millimeter artillery shell — which Russia fires by the thousands every day — contains a bit more than 13 pounds of explosive material. A commonly deployed glide bomb, the FAB-1500,  is packed with more than 1,300 pounds of explosives.
Since the bombs do not use propulsion or give off a detectable heat signature, they are hard to spot. They can be launched from Russian warplanes dozens of miles behind the front lines, relatively safe from Ukrainian air defenses.
When Russian planes fly closer the front, soldiers said, they are protected by Russian surveillance and attack drones that saturate the skies, searching for Ukrainian soldiers armed with portable antiaircraft missile systems.

• Thanks 1

We're in shovels territory once again literally unbeleivable propaganda. Pilots - the airfields can resupply fuel and ordnance but water is off-limits. I don't beleive I've just watched this. Apparently we were incapable of supplying our land forces in the Falklands War with drinking water outside of the beachheads. Diarrhoea was rampant. We learned quite a few lessons from that - not least of which was it doesn't stop you winning.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Lots of missiles and drones launched but a very small percentage actually making it through the defense's at a cost of 1.3 Billion dollars.

Only a "very small percentage actually making it through the defenses" are all that is needed to make life intolerable for a large number of civilians if taking out electrical infrastructure.

The main cost will be to the defenders given the cost of interceptor missiles against cheap drones.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We're in shovels territory once again literally unbeleivable propaganda.

Can we add that to the long list of posts claiming the Russians were

running out of missiles

running out of men

running out of money

running out of tanks

etc

plus, Putin is

dying

assassinated

being removed by back room conflict

etc.

:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thank you. Seems standard procedure in combat, and I doubt any conscript would ever be mentally prepared for the reality.

I suppose the relevant part was at the end with the comment about Russia being short of shells.

Do the authors of such ever admit that they were wrong?

It is not a court of law. Their job is to help lead to shape the narrative - which in the UK's case is following US foreign policy in lock step.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

It is not a court of law. Their job is to help lead to shape the narrative - which in the UK's case is following US foreign policy in lock step.

Agree. I'll never forget the photo of Blair in that awful pullover looking very poodle like while with Bush the younger. No doubting who was in charge.

• Confused 2