Motorbike road trip to Malaysia & Singapore

I all Tarmac  Warriors . I am planning to do a road round trip through Malaysia /Singapore later this  year ... My questions are   :-

(1) what is the best/easiest border crossing  from Thailand ?.

(2) .. what is the procedure and documents I need for temporary Import of my Bike? and can I apply online prior to going?

(3).. Is it possible to get bike insure  for Malay road prior to entry and again  online ?

(4) .. Any other info I might find useful would be appreciated to 🙂

Cheers Motor maniacs 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Unless this is planning for later in the year i'd suggest you'd wait until rainy season is over.

I did say/state " later this year ".. planning on heading down south early November . 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Malaysia I can understand, should be a great trip - careful in the troubled Southern Thai provinces though.  I'd take my time taking in Thailand as well as Malaysia.

However, given the size of the island and the traffic there - is Singapore really worth the possible hassle?

Never done any of it - keep us posted on how it goes.

7 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Malaysia I can understand, should be a great trip - careful in the troubled Southern Thai provinces though.  I'd take my time taking in Thailand as well as Malaysia.

However, given the size of the island and the traffic there - is Singapore really worth the possible hassle?

The three deep south provinces are not more dangerous to bike than everywhere else in Thailand, that's a common miss understanding. But, traveling down the east coast (southern Thailand and Malaysia) in November would be a bad choice. Raining all the time and floods here and there, that would be no fun.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, swissbie said:

The three deep south provinces are not more dangerous to bike than everywhere else in Thailand, that's a common miss understanding.

I'll rely on my government's travel advice thank you.

Traveller's should also be aware that their travel insurance is unlikely to cover them if they travel to an area against government issued travel advice.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, banglay said:

I did say/state " later this year ".. planning on heading down south early November . 

November is rainy season on Samui

52 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I'll rely on my government's travel advice thank you.

Traveller's should also be aware that their travel insurance is unlikely to cover them if they travel to an area against government issued travel advice.

I live there. Maybe a bit different than your "government's travel advice", but much nearer to real life. Go visit the deep south and see the difference between reality and what's told from outsiders.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, swissbie said:

I live there. Maybe a bit different than your "government's travel advice", but much nearer to real life. Go visit the deep south and see the difference between reality and what's told from outsiders.

I don't doubt that you are correct but there's enough risk in riding around Thailand without taking additional ones - note, I only said be careful. I didn't say don't do it.

The facts are though, that if you are a foriegner relying on Travel Insurance from outside Thailand, you have to take account of the fact that you will almost certainly not be covered down there if your government's advice is not to travel.  I have no knowledge of Thai Travel Insurance/Accident policies, or indeed regular insurance but it would not do any harm to check this as well.

Fore-warned is Fore-armed.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

I don't doubt that you are correct but there's enough risk in riding around Thailand without taking additional ones - note, I only said be careful. I didn't say don't do it.

The facts are though, that if you are a foriegner relying on Travel Insurance, you have to take account of the fact that you will almost certainly not be covered down there.  I have no knowledge of Thai Travel Insurance/Accident policies, or indeed regular insurance but it would not do any harm to check this as well.

I don't know about travel insurances, but if the OP is living in Thailand then he won't have a problem with local insurers. My insurance has full coverage, but if you think about terror attacks i don't know. But, the chance to get anyhow involved in such a situation is so insignificant, that it would be a waste of time to give it any thoughts.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Have you heard of the following joke:

I am with the government and I am here to help you....

The last source of a travel advisory I will listen to, is one from a government, where bureaucrats are sitting down in their comfortable chair, have never gone anywhere, read some news, and issue travel advisories....

You may note that I am refering to the effect that travel advice has on Travel Insurance - not whether its correct or not.

3 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Yeah ! my research is suggesting I should give Singapore a miss 🙂

This is the last place I’d ask for advice or experiences from others. Most folks here really don’t get out much and are under the delusional belief that they know better. Anyway, for those of us who have an adventurous life and don’t live in fear and enjoy exploring new places and meeting different people are unhindered by some of the nonsense posted above. 

12 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Good reads and experiences without the rattling.

@banglay enjoy your adventure and consider starting a journey thread documenting it here or on gtr 

1 hour ago, novacova said:

This is the last place I’d ask for advice or experiences from others. Most folks here really don’t get out much and are under the delusional belief that they know better. Anyway, for those of us who have an adventurous life and don’t live in fear and enjoy exploring new places and meeting different people are unhindered by some of the nonsense posted above. 

Good reads and experiences without the rattling.

@banglay enjoy your adventure and consider starting a journey thread documenting it here or on gtr 

I have travelled extensively around Thailand and Cambodia on my  Motorbike  and now it's time to give Malaysia a go .  check out some of my ride with  this link ... https://www.youtube.com/@thaiger2go947/videos

PS  it'll take more than a few negative comments from keyboard warriors  in mammas basement to stop me travelling lol 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A Malay taxi driver that works the Sadao-area border told me he would rather deal with Thai police, because they will take the money and be on their way.  The Malay cops also like to beat guys up, use a stranglehold, etc.  Just passing that on.

If you want diving/snorkeling the islands off the east coast, like the Perhentians, are the places to go.  Haven't been there in 10+ years.  Heard something about rat infestation a while back.

The west coast is mostly cultural stuff, like Penang and Ipoh.

I agree on giving Sing a pass.  Also, IMO, the run from KL to Sing isn't very exciting. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

The facts are though, that if you are a foriegner relying on Travel Insurance from outside Thailand, you have to take account of the fact that you will almost certainly not be covered down there if your government's advice is not to travel.  I have no knowledge of Thai Travel Insurance/Accident policies, or indeed regular insurance but it would not do any harm to check this as well.

Fore-warned is Fore-armed.

The western route, main highway, crossing at Sadao/Bukit Kayu Hitam is considered outside the conflict zone. Crossing at either Sadao or Padang Besar would be the easiest. Getting to and crossing at Betong would probably be the more interesting.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have decided to give Malaysia a miss now ,, after planning a route (mainly rural roads off the tourist track)I then started looking for resorts/hotel  along this route and to my horror lots of these resorts openly had a" Muslins only policy". I 'd don't see too much inclusivity and diversity coming from the religion of peace and I will not handing over my hard earned cash to this openly bigoted/racist  system  .... I am now planning a  circuit around Laos instead ,  at least I can eat bacon and drink beer without getting disapproved looks ..  

• Haha 1