Rice auction halted for safety tests to resume after a decade

webfact

It will be OK if you give it a good wash to clean the rats piss off it ,I would

believe him more if he actually put some in his mouth ......it will be auction

off as 10 year old rice ,but it won't be when sold retail...

regards Worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister and Minister of Commerce, has announced the resumption of the 10-year-old rice auction following successful private safety tests. Private lab results have shown no contamination, asserting that the rice is safe for consumption.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He stressed the importance of clarity and transparency to counter any public doubts.

That last statement worries me more than anything.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Why not ferment and distill?

It's gotta be worth something, being pre-aged and all.

Chinese love their baijiu, worst it tastes the better.

The most expensive has the flavor of turpentine.

Kweichow Moutai Baijiu

23,940 ฿ / 750ml

10948466.jpg?width=466&height=400&fit=bo

Edited by NoDisplayName

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Phumtham Wechayachai, Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Commerce, has announced the resumption of the 10-year-old rice auction following successful private safety tests. Private lab results have shown no contamination, asserting that the rice is safe for consumption.

The Public Warehouse Organisation (PWO) has been instructed to move swiftly but cautiously. Phumtham stated yesterday that tests conducted by an independent company revealed no carcinogens or fumigation residues in the rice.

The news comes after reports on Channel 3's 3 Miti news programme and post by Sorrayuth indicated the rice's safety.

Further quality checks are ongoing, with the Department of Medical Sciences examining fat content and other substances. Initial results are positive, with a detailed report expected soon.

Phumtham emphasised the significance of thorough checks before the auction moves forward. The PWO will enforce measures to ensure the process is both secure and efficient. Ranking bidders from one to five will help avoid the re-opening of bids if the top bidder defaults, reducing delays and additional costs.

“All initial indicators suggest that the rice is physically fine and safe for consumption, even after 10 years,” said Phumtham.

He stressed the importance of clarity and transparency to counter any public doubts. The auction will feature 150,000 sacks of rice, and bidders will have the opportunity to conduct their tests, ensuring there are no health risks.

Phumtham underscored the need for public confidence, stating, “We are not prioritising our lives over those in Africa,” acknowledging Africa as a traditional market for aged jasmine rice. He indicated that he personally consumed the rice without any issues.

The aim is to maximise returns from government warehouse stocks, rather than let them go to waste. Phumtham argued that it is better to auction off the rice rather than sell it as spoiled cargo for a mere 5 baht, as was done in previous auctions.

Picture courtesy: piptdb

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-20

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I'm confused.

I thought ALL rice should be send to Africa?

And I thought also it will be sold by Government.

And I hoped Thailand would give it away as a donation, for free.

Am I wrong?🙏

Have I to eat that rice when I buy bags at Makro? 🥴

• Agree 1