It happened to me again!!

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I've seen many places try to cook a cheeseburger, hamburger or hotdog, 

and honestly,  they haven't got a clue, no lettuce, no cooked onion,  tomato slice green,  no salt & pepper,  no BBQ sauce. ...  they're useless if it's farang food.    imo

One of the things I never eat in Hotels in Thailand is a burger (from rooms service or otherwise)...   

It seems they never get them correct...  

I'd also not order 'Western food' from a restaurant that looks more like a local Thai restaurant trying to cover all bases... 

And, I'd never a burger from anywhere other than a dedicated 'burger restaurant'... as they rarely do a decent job...

So as far as the quality of food is concerned - bob's comments are very realistic... 

However, it would of no surprise that the quality of interaction he encountered is solely down to his attitude.

Being a 'fly on the wall', I'm sure we'd all identify this issue, but bob seems incredibly thick skinned and insulated to the point of being completely oblivious to how he comes across to Thai's... 

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I ignored it because it simply wasn't relevant!

Communication was not a factor.

The waitress took my order and spoke good english.

She understood what well done means.

She even asked me, in english, how would I like my burger cooked...

if she didn't then in all fairness she shouldn't be working in a restaurant that caters to expats and sells western food! steaks, burgers etc....

bob.

The waitress spoke English well... Fully understood your complaint, which, of course was perfectly polite and respectful... hmm...

Yet the waitress 'threw the plate down on the table. No apology, no sorry sir, nothing'... 

Even in your comments your attitude of superiority shines through - you want a waitress to call you 'sir'...  ?

Bob... if this was a one-off, it might be argued that this was just a surly waitress... 

But, as you pointed out, this isn't an isolated incident.

You have so many issues, all the time with Thai's...      the issue is so very clearly you !!!  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, bob smith said:

....Amazing Thailand, eh?

bob.

No. I think amazing Bob!

It all happens to you, over and over again!

One must learn to identify and accept ones faults, instead of blaming the entire world.

Just my 2 cents

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ravip said:

One must learn to identify and accept ones faults, instead of blaming the entire world.

Yeah, you're right.

the waitress/chef was at fault for not getting my order right..

It would have been nice if they accepted this with an apology.

I, a paying customer sat having a beer, was not at fault.

Why do I constantly have to spell everything out for you lot?

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bob smith said:

the look she gave me was like I had just farted!

Some bathing and personal hygiene might help to avoid those looks in the future. 

51 minutes ago, bob smith said:

then she brought it back after about 20 minutes and threw the plate down on the table.

It took 20 minutes to drop your burger on the floor, pick it up, put it back in the plate, and then do whatever else they might have done to it that you don't want to know about. Let us all know tomorrow if you have the skids as a result. Anyway, exactly why I never send anything back. Bad idea and the outcome won't ever be any better, often only worse. Pay up, leave, move on. Finished. 

57 minutes ago, bob smith said:

what is this all about?

is it cultural that one cannot complain about ones food in Thailand?

does the chef lose face or something?

christ, it's starting to become a chore now just eating out.

more trouble than it's bloody worth these days!

bob.

For as long as you have been in the hub of smiles, one would have thunked you would have learned a thing or two about them by now. 

They don't care about the what and the why, only the how. What and why aren't part of the equation. So, how are we going to get rid of this unwashed, troublesome, ungrateful foreigner, how long until he finally eats that burger and leaves, how is he going to pay; cash or credit. Finished. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, ravip said:

No. I think amazing Bob!

It all happens to you, over and over again!

Just my 2 cents

I agree. Although he doesn't blame the entire world, he directs his resentment towards Thais, having become prejudiced against them.

"Familiarity breeds contempt" is a concept many of us understand and address, but not Bob.

If he were to live in another country, whether Costa Rica, Mexico, Malaysia, Cambodia, France, or Australia, once the initial novelty wears off, he would likely begin to focus on negative aspects and encounters. This would magnify his negative outlook, perpetuating further negative experiences.

He clearly lacks the ability to self-reflect and thus places the blame on others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One of the things I never eat in Hotels in Thailand is a burger (from rooms service or otherwise)...   

It seems they never get them correct...  

I'd also not order 'Western food' from a restaurant that looks more like a local Thai restaurant trying to cover all bases... 

And, I'd never a burger from anywhere other than a dedicated 'burger restaurant'... as they rarely do a decent job...

So as far as the quality of food is concerned - bob's comments are very realistic... 

However, it would of no surprise that the quality of interaction he encountered is solely down to his attitude.

Being a 'fly on the wall', I'm sure we'd all identify this issue, but bob seems incredibly thick skinned and insulated to the point of being completely oblivious to how he comes across to Thai's... 

yes,  some good points ...

I think the same as you,  I'd be extremely reluctant to order farang food from a Thai restaurant unless it's a franchise like Santa Fe or similar as at least they somewhat kinda know how to cook a burger if not fully.   

And remembering that proper burger shops charge 295 - 490 baht for a burger whereas the Santa fe's and similar are 180 - 250 baht. 

I can also say that Bob is correct in that the meat is never fully cooked inside,  they don't know what it is to completely cook the meat right through so it's all dark brown inside .... same with the sausages, they cook them quickly with little heat so how can it even cook properly.  

Edited by steven100

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

He clearly lacks the ability to self-reflect and thus places the blame on others.

....I must be Thai then!

bob.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, you're right.

the waitress/chef was at fault for not getting my order right..

It would have been nice if they accepted this with an apology.

I, a paying customer sat having a beer, was not at fault.

bob.

Correct... You were clearly not at fault for the poor quality of food...  I don't think anyone is suggesting you are.

But, you may well have been at fault for the negative encounter with the waitress and their responding attitudes towards you... This is an issue you repeatedly fail to identify becase you are unable to self reflect. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bbko said:

Maybe this was the restaurant's silent message to the OP of "We don't like you and don't want you to come back". 

🤣

that's fine.

I will go elsewhere and tip double next time!

bob.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

stop judging me!!

bob.

Given your content...   

... You're asking the impossible !!!...   

You cause everyone to judge you bob...  thats why you face the issues you do.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Given your content...   

I eagerly await the thread "I made a waitress go postal and she stabbed me with a butter knife" !!

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Given your content...   

bored of you now to be honest, richard.

you have my permission to leave my thread if you wish.

bob.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

that's fine.

I will go elsewhere and tip double next time!

bob.

Bingo - if everyone did this...   then the place wouldn't still be around serving rubbish food... 

But, as mentioned earlier...   in Thailand we have to chose the restaurants in which we order 'Western food' a little more carefully... as the chefs / owner may want to cater to a wider clientele, especially in an area of higher tourist footfall, but may not have the requisite cooking experience or knowledge...  that seems so in this case. 

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

bored of you now to be honest, richard.

you have my permission to leave my thread if you wish.

bob.

Fair enough....

... looking forwards to your next whinge about how badly Thai's treat you...  :giggle:  :violin:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

... looking forwards to your next whinge about how badly Thai's treat you... 

why would you be looking forward to that??

not very nice of you, is it richard?

bob.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, theshu25 said:

The Op is nothing but a whinging   p..... ,  never ever his fault,always someone elses.  About time he ha da good look in the mirror.

are you drunk??

bob.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

went out for lunch yesterday,

kept it really simple,

ordered a cheeseburger and chips, well done.

food comes and the burger is raw in the middle and the chips stone cold.

I called the waitress over and told her to send it back.

the look she gave me was like I had just farted!

then she brought it back after about 20 minutes and threw the plate down on the table.

no apology, no sorry sir, nothing.

this isn't an isolated incident, it's happened to me a few times, hence the title..

what is this all about?

is it cultural that one cannot complain about ones food in Thailand?

does the chef lose face or something?

christ, it's starting to become a chore now just eating out.

more trouble than it's bloody worth these days!

bob.

You've got zero finesse. If I was even going to send the burger back then below is exactly what I would have said. No instructions on what to do and not providing them with a solution to the problem. Then no loss of face for them and no distaste. I'm pretty sure if you had said the following with a smile they would have taken care of it quickly for you and with a smile too. And then we wouldn't have to be reading all your hopeless whinging. 

ขอโทษครับขอรบกวนนิดนึงครับปกติผมชอบกินสุกกว่านี้นิดนึงครับ

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GrungthepGringo said:

You've got zero finesse. If I was even going to send the burger back then below is exactly what I would have said. No instructions on what to do and not providing them with a solution to the problem. Then no loss of face for them and no distaste. I'm pretty sure if you had said the following with a smile they would have taken care of it quickly for you and with a smile too. And then we wouldn't have to be reading all your hopeless whinging. 

ขอโทษครับขอรบกวนนิดนึงครับปกติผมชอบกินสุกกว่านี้นิดนึงครับ

have you ever heard the expression - the customer is always right?

bob.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hey Bob, I somewhat sympathise with your experience, but expecting a Thai establishment to cook foreign food to your liking is rare.

Burgers and sausages in particular are taken straight from the freezer and cooked without defrosting first.
The result is as you experienced, cooked on the outside, raw in the middle.

Usually if you order French fries together, it's common the fries to be served first and the burger 10 minutes later when you've eaten the fries.
Or as you experienced, they cooked the fries then waited for the burger before serving together ........ cold fries.

Even some of the best 'Thai' restaurants, do not understand the concept that foreigners like their meals served hot and together.

Thais don't complain, they often eat food cold by choice.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Liquorice said:

Hey Bob, I somewhat sympathise with your experience, but expecting a Thai establishment to cook foreign food to your liking is rare.

No.

I asked for it well done!

bob.

I have to agree with Bob a few too many times recently food under cooked, my latest episode the other night a fancied egg fried rice, thats all, I ordered it on grab, it was plain garbage, there was no egg in it, I mean FFS if you cant cook egg fried rice then you are in the wrong business, and no I didn't eat it as it also had to much oil, 

• Like 1