Using a debit card in Thailand

Posted (edited)

I've all ready told my bank in the US that I'm heading to Thailand, so now my debit card is ready to used there. Now can I just go to Mickey D's or a Big C and just use my card with no problems?

Edited by luuk khreung Thai

I cannot give a definitive answer because all my debit cards except one are Thai based. The one US debit card I only use at ATM's no problem. But as long as your debit card is VISA or MasterCard should be OK. Just remember that US cards are usually 4 digit PIN while the Thai cards are 6 digit PIN.

28 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I cannot give a definitive answer because all my debit cards except one are Thai based. The one US debit card I only use at ATM's no problem. But as long as your debit card is VISA or MasterCard should be OK. Just remember that US cards are usually 4 digit PIN while the Thai cards are 6 digit PIN.

Oh this interesting.

• 5 months later...

I have had this problem before and on my newish SCB debit card and the local  ATM gave me back my card and then I went up to CJ and had a message about my chip and go and see your bank but our local bank branch  shut down.
When had trouble before I ,managed to get money put and has anyone had this problem also
Many thanks