He was very brave to admit he has depression caused by no particular reason 

Chemical imbalance?

I also get depressed ,some days are down days no reason why 

17 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Buzzin in Pattaya has 100k subscribers 

Chemical imbalance?

There is a reason, you've just lost track. Maybe the mopping job?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Buzzin in Pattaya has 100k subscribers 

Chemical imbalance?

Running a bar and drinking daily maybe??? Going from one fleeting relationdhip to another?? Watch the video again.

Posted (edited)

Does medication actually cure the depression or just treat it

I remember years ago when I was working in the actual hospital wards in the Psych dept a guy came in and he had to have Shock treatment!

I didn't know that still exists in Australia but it does 

Apparently he would lay days in bed without getting out !

I think they put electric stun gun to the side of your head I heard.

Edited by georgegeorgia

On 5/25/2024 at 1:30 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

Depression isn't to be laughed at.

Assuming your comment is sincere, then you are correct. Genuine depression is a serious, debilitating disorder that requires understanding, not glib mockery. It's a wiring problem caused over years of mental stressors, not because of a 'lousy job'.

I'm lucky now, and I have a great life, wife and kids, and I'm generally positive and happy, but I've been through major depressive episodes since aged 7 or 8, and suffered 2 breakdowns. It wasn't until my 40s that I realised why, and I know now that I was psychologically abused by my parents. I also went to a crap school with abusive teachers... I only realised is when I became a parent myself and it dawned on me that no loving parents would do and say the things that mind did. So, I guess I'm wired up wrong.

About this YouTuber, I haven't watched it, but it seems people will 'toob' anything AdSense for clicks now. I can tell you for sure, just because some GP prescribed you Sertraline doesn't make you depressed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2024 at 4:35 PM, BritManToo said:

I'd be depressed too, if I had to work as a hospital cleaner!

Why? Unlike most western professionals, like lawyers and consultants, cleaners actually do a worthwhile job. Hospitals have to be clean to prevent infection. Cleaners should be proud, that like other essential workers ( garbage men, plumbers, electricians, sewage workers etc ) they fill a real need in society, and their lives are not about BS.

6 hours ago, Flummoxed said:

Assuming your comment is sincere, then you are correct. Genuine depression is a serious, debilitating disorder that requires understanding, not glib mockery. It's a wiring problem caused over years of mental stressors, not because of a 'lousy job'.

I'm lucky now, and I have a great life, wife and kids, and I'm generally positive and happy, but I've been through major depressive episodes since aged 7 or 8, and suffered 2 breakdowns. It wasn't until my 40s that I realised why, and I know now that I was psychologically abused by my parents. I also went to a crap school with abusive teachers... I only realised is when I became a parent myself and it dawned on me that no loving parents would do and say the things that mind did. So, I guess I'm wired up wrong.

About this YouTuber, I haven't watched it, but it seems people will 'toob' anything AdSense for clicks now. I can tell you for sure, just because some GP prescribed you Sertraline doesn't make you depressed.

Are not most parents mentally damaging to their children? Mine certainly were, and most parents I know are doing a bad job. Why is it that we need qualifications to do almost every job above the labouring level, yet the most important job of all- raising children- requires no qualifications at all?

Many people think they are depressed ( when they are not clinically depressed ), and need some pills to make them feel better, but they are not depressed. That sort of thing can be rectified with a life change or such like. Depression is not so easily cured.

It's not helped when GPs have no proper training, and trained psychologists are too few or too expensive to help most, and just hand out pills.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Does medication actually cure the depression or just treat it

I remember years ago when I was working in the actual hospital wards in the Psych dept a guy came in and he had to have Shock treatment!

I didn't know that still exists in Australia but it does 

Apparently he would lay days in bed without getting out !

I think they put electric stun gun to the side of your head I heard.

Nothing wrong with shock therapy if done properly. I saw quite a few when doing my mental health training component.

Nothing to do with stun guns- where did you get that BS from?

On 5/25/2024 at 11:17 PM, georgegeorgia said:

This Pattaya YouTuber who was talking about it today is a bar owner and for some reason he has no idea why he is depressed?

This is chemically imbalance,is it not ?

You have a friend in Google, use it.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/diseases/depression-anxiety.html#:~:text=The exact cause of depression,%2C environmental%2C and psychological factors.&text=Everyone is different‚ but the,person's chances of becoming depressed%3A&text=Having blood relatives who have had depression

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 8:03 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Bloody good salary in Australia.

I think your out of touch with reality (no offence intended). There are so many struggling in the OLD lucky country.

Minimum wage is through the roof, working conditions are high standard, many rest schedules, coffee and lunch breaks etc., it's why Australia can't compete with industry, too expensive for manufactured goods. 

In the 80's/90's yes, but not today, most people work from home, you know the work/life/balance that they BS you with, I remember working twice as hard, when I say twice as hard, I mean in hours as well, 8 hours tuned into 16 hours a day, minimum 14 hours a day, albeit the salary was 6 figures, but still, not enough to go forward if you have a wife who isn't working and raising kids.

Today is a totally different ball game, and when you say, they can't sack you, there are ways around that, all they have to do is up the anti till you crack.

If I remember the OP owns property in Sydney, minimum house price is $1,000,000, I reckon the OP would be the envy of some here. 

Don't forget the minimum mortgage is paid off:

between 60 and 65 years

What is the average age to pay off a mortgage in Australia? According to estimates, the average Australian pays off their mortgage somewhere between 60 and 65 years.May 16, 2567 BE

How Much Is The Average Mortgage In Australia? The latest lending data from the ABS shows that the average mortgage size in Australia was $624,000 as of December 2023. This is for owner-occupied dwellings, rather than loans specified for first-home buyers or investors wishing to rent out a property.May 16, 2567 BE

The average repayment (interest only) on that amount is $2,650 per month using 5% as the interest rate, now that works out to be $32,000 net per year.

The average wage 1. Average Wages. In Australia, the average wage, as of 2024, is approximately AUD 89,122 per year, which translates to AUD 7,427 per month or AUD 43.06 per hour. However, these figures represent an average and can vary greatly depending on the individual's job, industry, region, and level of experience.

If you make $89,000 a year living in Australia, you will be taxed $21,172. That means that your net pay will be $67,828 per year, or $5,652 per month. Your average tax rate is 23.8% and your marginal tax rate is 34.5%. This marginal tax rate means that your immediate additional income will be taxed at this rate.

If you earned $89k you would be left with $36,000 a year, not including the 2% Medicare levy if it hasn't already been accounted for in the above.

Now that works out to be $693 per week net, the OP has a unit, which he has strata levies to pay for quarterly, then there is Council and Water rates and any special levies set down in the annual general meeting, which I am sure he has, so knock off another, say, $11,000 a year, now we are down to $25,000 a year nett or $480 per week.

Then there is electricity, car registration, insurance, maintenance, and petrol if you have a car, oh wait, then there is food, oooooops, did you say they make good money.....LoL, NOW THAT'S DEPRESSING.

The only way anyone working gets ahead in life in Australia, is by sacrifice, getting better educational qualifications to earn a bigger salary, which takes years of studying, then into debt to buy a property, or properties, and hold them for a couple of decades, shares, or Crypto currencies like BTC or ETH etc,
i.e. unless they are one of the lucky ones who get an inheritance and don't pi$$ it up against the wall.

Without the above, you just survive, till pension age, then you complain that it's not enough, high inflation, high rents etc.

Welcome to the real Australia, that said, after a couple of decades of investing (forced savings), then one can sell up and move to Thailand and live happily ever after, but watching out where he/she puts their money of course.....LoL

Edited by 4MyEgo

On 5/25/2024 at 10:50 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I just watched a famous Pattaya YouTuber admit he has depression, and was on medication.

There seem to have been a disproportionate number of "social media influencers" who have taken their own lives in recent years.

I suspect that realising that no-one actually cares what they think and not making enough money to make a living combine to create a depressive mood.

Also, there is an alarming number of people who ask on Thai forums about bringing in their anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication, or where to buy it in Thailand.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with Western doctors' proclivity for prescribing such medications, as it's easier than prescribing exercise, proper diet, proper sleep and in necessary cases, psychotherapy.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are not most parents mentally damaging to their children? Mine certainly were, and most parents I know are doing a bad job. Why is it that we need qualifications to do almost every job above the labouring level, yet the most important job of all- raising children- requires no qualifications at all?

Many people think they are depressed ( when they are not clinically depressed ), and need some pills to make them feel better, but they are not depressed. That sort of thing can be rectified with a life change or such like. Depression is not so easily cured.

It's not helped when GPs have no proper training, and trained psychologists are too few or too expensive to help most, and just hand out pills.

Everyone gets depressed at times, but clinical depression is a permanent (at least for now) thing. Environmental depression comes from living in an unstable, abusive, neglective or absent parent environment. Words, especially done continuously, over time, can hurt and make a permanent mark on one's thinking.

I don't think most parents are bad parents, but just uneducated or absent. Of course, most if not all of today's world problems are created at home, and most world leaders are narcissists because they were either abused, neglected or spoiled when children. Some parents are doing the same things to their children they learned as children, and many of these things are wrong, but it's all they know. The most important years of a child's life are 0 to 5, and if these years are spent in turmoil, that's what they'll bring into their adult lives, unless they understand what went wrong, and do what they need to understand what normal means.

There is also seasonal depression, SAD, when people spend a lot of time in an environment without sunshine, trapped indoors under ultraviolet light. This passes when the outdoor weather improves, and is usually limited to cold northern climates.

Clinical depression is a permanent thing, and needs treatment, which usually involves talk therapy and some medication to help with symptoms. They don't cure the depression but make it easier to cope with bad or negative moods, anger and lost feelings. It is all we have now to help people who are suffering. Lifestyle changes, exercise, healthy diet, removing yourself from a toxic environment, supplements, supportive friends and family, steady job, pets, all can help a person with depression but aren't cures.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Moncul said:

There seem to have been a disproportionate number of "social media influencers" who have taken their own lives in recent years.

I suspect that realising that no-one actually cares what they think and not making enough money to make a living combine to create a depressive mood.

Also, there is an alarming number of people who ask on Thai forums about bringing in their anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication, or where to buy it in Thailand.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with Western doctors' proclivity for prescribing such medications, as it's easier than prescribing exercise, proper diet, proper sleep and in necessary cases, psychotherapy.

A doctor is only a go-between towards help. They can prescribe meds that can help with your depression, but need to be there with followups regularly to see if it's the right medicine and if it's helping, as the wrong one can make things worse or not do anything. If they are good, they will talk to you using psychotherapy, to get you to let your negative feelings out, which helps a lot of people, especially those with depression. A good doctor will also tell you to have a healthy lifestyle, as a bad one will hurt your depression symptoms. It isn't just western doctors but most that will do what's available now, as that is all they have to treat depression now. The brain is an extremely complicated place, which runs on chemicals and food to work properly. When something's in short supply, all you can do now is try and replace what's missing with medicines and psychotherapy so you can have a better life. As far as social media influencers taking their own lives, they are joined by many who use anything to feel better. Sex, drugs, alcohol, comedy, reckless buying, risk taking, excess sleep and others to escape their pain. My best friend had everything he needed to have a happy, full life, but it was never enough to escape the inside dark clouds he had most of his life, so he took the only way out he knew at that time, back in 1987, before more was known about treatments for depression.

Edited by fredwiggy

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, susanlea said:

If you flew to Thailand to have fun you shouldn't be depressed. 

Im going to be honest with you ,I took 7 weeks leave from my job .

Pattaya made me depressed especially after 3 weeks 

The greatest happy moments was walking up & down  the Manila subway last Monday & Tuesday night !!!!!

Just the look on the passengers face as they looked up at me walking through the 8 carriages .

I was dangling a set of keys in one hand patrolling like a police man , I felt good 

Edited by georgegeorgia

20 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

The greatest happy moments was walking up & down  the Manila subway last Monday & Tuesday night !!!!!

Just the look on the passengers face as they looked up at me walking through the 8 carriages .

I was dangling a set of keys in one hand patrolling like a police man , I felt good 

I went to Hua Hin for 2 weeks and loved it.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think your out of touch with reality (no offence intended). There are so many struggling in the OLD lucky country.

In the 80's/90's yes, but not today, most people work from home, you know the work/life/balance that they BS you with, I remember working twice as hard, when I say twice as hard, I mean in hours as well, 8 hours tuned into 16 hours a day, minimum 14 hours a day, albeit the salary was 6 figures, but still, not enough to go forward if you have a wife who isn't working and raising kids.

Today is a totally different ball game, and when you say, they can't sack you, there are ways around that, all they have to do is up the anti till you crack.

Don't forget the minimum mortgage is paid off:

between 60 and 65 years

What is the average age to pay off a mortgage in Australia? According to estimates, the average Australian pays off their mortgage somewhere between 60 and 65 years.May 16, 2567 BE

How Much Is The Average Mortgage In Australia? The latest lending data from the ABS shows that the average mortgage size in Australia was $624,000 as of December 2023. This is for owner-occupied dwellings, rather than loans specified for first-home buyers or investors wishing to rent out a property.May 16, 2567 BE

The average repayment (interest only) on that amount is $2,650 per month using 5% as the interest rate, now that works out to be $32,000 net per year.

The average wage 1. Average Wages. In Australia, the average wage, as of 2024, is approximately AUD 89,122 per year, which translates to AUD 7,427 per month or AUD 43.06 per hour. However, these figures represent an average and can vary greatly depending on the individual's job, industry, region, and level of experience.

If you make $89,000 a year living in Australia, you will be taxed $21,172. That means that your net pay will be $67,828 per year, or $5,652 per month. Your average tax rate is 23.8% and your marginal tax rate is 34.5%. This marginal tax rate means that your immediate additional income will be taxed at this rate.

If you earned $89k you would be left with $36,000 a year, not including the 2% Medicare levy if it hasn't already been accounted for in the above.

Now that works out to be $693 per week net, the OP has a unit, which he has strata levies to pay for quarterly, then there is Council and Water rates and any special levies set down in the annual general meeting, which I am sure he has, so knock off another, say, $11,000 a year, now we are down to $25,000 a year nett or $480 per week.

Then there is electricity, car registration, insurance, maintenance, and petrol if you have a car, oh wait, then there is food, oooooops, did you say they make good money.....LoL, NOW THAT'S DEPRESSING.

The only way anyone working gets ahead in life in Australia, is by sacrifice, getting better educational qualifications to earn a bigger salary, which takes years of studying, then into debt to buy a property, or properties, and hold them for a couple of decades, shares, or Crypto currencies like BTC or ETH etc,
i.e. unless they are one of the lucky ones who get an inheritance and don't pi$$ it up against the wall.

Without the above, you just survive, till pension age, then you complain that it's not enough, high inflation, high rents etc.

Welcome to the real Australia, that said, after a couple of decades of investing (forced savings), then one can sell up and move to Thailand and live happily ever after, but watching out where he/she puts their money of course.....LoL

Lots of stories regarding Aussie workers demanding hundreds of thousands of dollars annual salaries. 

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/city-held-hostage-as-tradies-demand-240k-salary/news-story/ab39e7a1a7f9ee892d2c6a4e3b295c30

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/west-gate-tunnel-workers-reach-pay-deal-300k-a-year-20210610-p57zu8.html

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Lots of stories regarding Aussie workers demanding hundreds of thousands of dollars annual salaries. 

Ah yes, tradies are a special breed, and miners, but they are not your average Joe, who are suffering.

20 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't think most parents are bad parents, but just uneducated or absent. Of course, most if not all of today's world problems are created at home, and most world leaders are narcissists because they were either abused, neglected or spoiled when children. Some parents are doing the same things to their children they learned as children, and many of these things are wrong, but it's all they know.

Agree that it's not deliberate in most cases, but still destructive. Words hurt, and if said by a parent hurt more.

I was involved with a solo mum for some years ( leaving with almost nothing and having to start over from scratch ), and repeated all the bad things that had happened to me with her kids. Like you say, it was all I knew.

I did not even realise what I was doing till years later. The irony is that I would have made a terrible father in the years I'd most likely have had kids, but after that time past I learned enough to have been a good parent.

15 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

That is bizarre!

If Pattaya made you depressed why did you not go elsewhere?

20 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

A doctor is only a go-between towards help. They can prescribe meds that can help with your depression, but need to be there with followups regularly to see if it's the right medicine and if it's helping, as the wrong one can make things worse or not do anything. If they are good, they will talk to you using psychotherapy, to get you to let your negative feelings out, which helps a lot of people, especially those with depression. A good doctor will also tell you to have a healthy lifestyle, as a bad one will hurt your depression symptoms.

LOL. In NZ we get about 10 minutes, if lucky and it costs large. Not much time for psychotherapy, or anything. Costs far too much for those "follow ups" unless rich, and if rich can afford the real thing. GPs will prescribe drugs and see you in 3 months to renew prescription.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. In NZ we get about 10 minutes, if lucky and it costs large. Not much time for psychotherapy, or anything. Costs far too much for those "follow ups" unless rich, and if rich can afford the real thing. GPs will prescribe drugs and see you in 3 months to renew prescription.

In Australia to see a GP costs me $60 after Medicare rebate , something like 5 minutes consultation .

Blood tests are FREE by the Australian government though and I get a full blood test monthly 

But paying $60 just to see a doctor for 5 minutes is outrageous 

Mind you I paid the equivalent of $42 AUD to see Dr Oliver in  Pattaya recently AND he wanted 1400 baht or around $65 AUD for a blood test !!!!!

1400 baht for a blood test !

Edited by georgegeorgia

17 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

In Australia to see a GP costs me $60 after Medicare rebate , something like 5 minutes consultation .

Blood tests are FREE by the Australian government though and I get a full blood test monthly 

But paying $60 just to see a doctor for 5 minutes is outrageous 

Mind you I paid the equivalent of $42 AUD to see Dr Oliver in  Pattaya recently AND he wanted 1400 baht or around $65 AUD for a blood test !!!!!

1400 baht for a blood test !

You went to Pattaya to see doctors? Try doing something else.

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

You went to Pattaya to see doctors? Try doing something else.

Susan ,you would have to be mad not to make use of the cheap dentist on your vacation.

But...as you only joined this forum last week.... supposedly anyway...you wouldn't know.

I bet anything that you are another forum member on here using the name SUSAN .... probably you Liverpool Lou ....is this your feminine side coming out using a woman's name when your a bloke?

Fair dinkum you using another name joining last week and picking a woman's name , some screwed up people on here !

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Susan ,you would have to be mad not to make use of the cheap dentist on your vacation.

But...as you only joined this forum last week.... supposedly anyway...you wouldn't know.

I bet anything that you are another forum member on here using the name SUSAN .... probably you Liverpool Lou ....is this your feminine side coming out using a woman's name when your a bloke?

Fair dinkum you using another name joining last week and picking a woman's name , some screwed up people on here !

It's Sparky

• Haha 1