Car Insurance for a Rental Car

I'll be renting a car for a week. I have Class 1 insurance on my SUV here in Thailand. Just wondering if my Class 1 insurance carries over to rental car. Ask the lil lady and of course she says no can do. This is where not having a conversational level of Thai is a hinderance and obstacle. Because I know she won't ask Insurance a question. It's an extra 459 baht/ day for full coverage.

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'll be renting a car for a week. I have Class 1 insurance on my SUV here in Thailand. Just wondering if my Class 1 insurance carries over to rental car. Ask the lil lady and of course she says no can do. This is where not having a conversational level of Thai is a hinderance and obstacle. Because I know she won't ask Insurance a question. It's an extra 459 baht/ day for full coverage.

That's about what I paid for a week recently.  You have to decide if it's worth the risk.

If the car is not from one of big rental companies, it probably does not have car rental insurance. (It is different.)

Very few of the local companies here have car rental insurance. They just insure as their own car. If you have an accident, you cannot say that it is a rental.

A close friend of mine fell into that trap last month.

She has rented a car from the same (local) guy for more than 20 years. She rents for three months whilst she is here. He always said that she had full insurance.

Last month she had a minor accident - guy on a scooter ran into the back of her.

She had to pay 10,000 baht to the guy and pay for the repair.

The accident wasn't her fault but because of the wrong insurance...........

Not Enough information provided.

Some Foreign Credit Cards provide Rental Insurance for Free

If you purchase some Comprehensive Travel Insurance it may include Rental Car Insurance.  (Check policy)

You need to take Excellent Video of before pickup and after Rental car return to prove condition.  My experience was in Portugal were daily rate was equivalent to

$10 a day, Insurance was $5 a day.  Guy accepts return and gives me receipt. I ask if he is going to inspect car, "No, You bought Insurance which will fix any damage"

You do Not need to buy Rental insurance from Rental Company they should accept Any Thai Rental Company insurance if you found much lower rate.

thai car insurance is usually attached to the car, not the driver, 

so if you have your own car and that has 1st class insurance, its for that car and unless you put down yourself as the sole named driver, anyone driving it is insured providing they have valid license, not drunk

most big rental companies will have collision damage waiver insurance you have to pay extra for when renting

mom and pop rental outfits will use the car's 1st class insurance, these can be a gray area as the conditions of most 1st class insurance is not for commercial use, if you got into accident the rental outfit would ensure that the insurance agent not look too closely at your relationship with the ultimate owner of the vehicle and how you come to be operating the vehicle

From my Research CPTL (Compulsory Third Party Loss) is Required by law on Every vehicle registered in Thailand.  Beware this provides low limit insurance for Bodily Injury, Death.  No coverage for Property or Vehicle Damage unless that has been Added to that vehicles insurance.

The Loss Damage Waiver Insurance is very common.   This protects against property damage, and Theft.  As of this writing according to Budget and Sixt website they include LDW insurance in the rental price.

30 minutes ago, J Branche said:

From my Research CPTL (Compulsory Third Party Loss) is Required by law on Every vehicle registered in Thailand.  Beware this provides low limit insurance for Bodily Injury, Death.  No coverage for Property or Vehicle Damage unless that has been Added to that vehicles insurance.

The Loss Damage Waiver Insurance is very common.   This protects against property damage, and Theft.  As of this writing according to Budget and Sixt website they include LDW insurance in the rental price.

I believe that is the compulsory insurance that you have to pay so that you can pay the road tax.

No insurance, no road tax.

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

That's about what I paid for a week recently.  You have to decide if it's worth the risk.

I'll probably pay it as well. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

If the car is not from one of big rental companies, it probably does not have car rental insurance. (It is different.)

Very few of the local companies here have car rental insurance. They just insure as their own car. If you have an accident, you cannot say that it is a rental.

A close friend of mine fell into that trap last month.

She has rented a car from the same (local) guy for more than 20 years. She rents for three months whilst she is here. He always said that she had full insurance.

Last month she had a minor accident - guy on a scooter ran into the back of her.

She had to pay 10,000 baht to the guy and pay for the repair.

The accident wasn't her fault but because of the wrong insurance...........

This is from a name company at an airport. But, yeah I've heard the same story told from others.