Man fatally stabs friend to death over 20 baht in Chon Buri

webfact

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Never seen Thais disciplining children in nearly 30 years here. And the boys especially get the royal treatment...are spoiled, always get their way and get away with anything/everything. Upbringing a real problem here, among many other factors. Too many too young, unfit, unable, unprepared, incapable and dirt poor allowed to have offspring when terminating the pregnancy is the best option. This is true in every country, not only here. 

True, and the one thing that happens here that boys don't get away with in the US, among other countries, is  child support isn't enforced with penalties for those that don't pay. I don't see much in the way of good discipline but just hitting the kids when they are unruly, often with sticks.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

in the UK the guiding principle is that you are no allowed to carry anything that might cause injury to your attacker......go figure....555

Being armed with the same type of weapons is illegal here, also.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Aren't those machetes mainly used  for work in the fields and forests and not as weapons ?

I would assume mostly all machetes are used for some type of work but after a few rice whiskey's it's quite obvious to see what some people use them for.

• Sad 1

Yes, but the fine for carrying is 100 baht, hardly a deterrent to those looking to hurt someone. Both countries allow up to a 3 inch folding blade. Machetes are carried here by millions, and I don't think the police would do anything about it. You carry a machete in the UK, it can mean jail time. This is the law about machetes in the UK............https://www.bsbsolicitors.co.uk/blog/government-bans-machetes-and-zombie-knives/

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ronster said:

Think that equals the lowest amount I have seen people killed over . 🫤

As is invariably the case with incidents such as this it was not actually about the money.

It was about a history of insult and contempt from the person he killed.

The money was "the straw that broke the camels back".

Edited by Enoon
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ronster said:

Think that equals the lowest amount I have seen people killed over . 🫤

I think people here have killed each other over a few hundred baht.....But I agree 20 baht is a record low amount....

7 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I've never heard of so many people carrying knives or machetes, and sticks before I came here. Of course carrying a knife before you go see someone looks like pre-meditated murder, but so many carry weapons here it seems it's looked at as normal. The lack of concern and non respect of life itself is yet another reason I don't want my daughter growing up here. We see this daily, and probably are not seeing but a pinprick of what happens countrywide daily here. Most everywhere I go, I see women carrying sticks to keep their kids in line, which is abuse but seems it's another thing that's looked at as normal, because it's been the discipline method for generations. I only wish for the generations of children to come here, that people are taught that this is wrong behavior and there are better ways to discipline and react to confrontations.

You need educated people to manage country folks but if the manager , parents are also of low education, how to pass down the teachings then? Only when the entire country uplift their economic status in life will the social changes follow. We need more middle class spread achieved thru school education to do that. 

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, but the fine for carrying is 100 baht, hardly a deterrent to those looking to hurt someone. Both countries allow up to a 3 inch folding blade. Machetes are carried here by millions, and I don't think the police would do anything about it. You carry a machete in the UK, it can mean jail time. This is the law about machetes in the UK............https://www.bsbsolicitors.co.uk/blog/government-bans-machetes-and-zombie-knives/

Settling altercation thru physical force is second nature in Thailand. Knives, machetes, swords, steel rods and also homemade guns are everyday items carried by the masses. Until police enforce non lethal items in cars, I will keep on carrying a baseball bat in my car to protect myself in case of some lunatics in a traffic altercation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ctkong said:

Settling altercation thru physical force is second nature in Thailand. Knives, machetes, swords, steel rods and also homemade guns are everyday items carried by the masses. Until police enforce non lethal items in cars, I will keep on carrying a baseball bat in my car to protect myself in case of some lunatics in a traffic altercation.

why limit this to thailand, it is not a thai centric problem. Settling altercation thru physical force is second nature in Thailand to certain people around the world, just look at what happens in the usa, people don;t just use physical force, they use guns!

‘terminating the pregnancy is the best option’ 

no, Thailand is a Buddhist country and terminating life in your womb is illegal. Even doctors would not abort if asked to do so as it will affect their karma too. Buddhist believe your offspring became your offspring due to karmic consequences and no human must interfere with the arrangement of the karmic creditors. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

You need educated people to manage country folks but if the manager , parents are also of low education, how to pass down the teachings then? Only when the entire country uplift their economic status in life will the social changes follow. We need more middle class spread achieved thru school education to do that. 

I don't see the lack of good education as necessarily a bad thing. Millions of people live in poverty , being farmers and the like, and they aren't bad people because of this. We need farmers so we can eat, and if that's all they know, I'm all for it. I don' want my daughter to be a farmer,,and moving to the US will give her an excellent chance of having a great future, because I can get her into good schools and then college. Having the people here get more pay through more democracy would help them yes. Better schools and teachers will help them also, as will having them learn more English, which gives them more chances for a better paying job.

As far as disciplining their children, this is something that needs to change because generations have passed down corporal punishment that is even still seen in some schools, although it's not allowed. If you are raised thinking whipping your kids to discipline them is normal, that's all you know, until proven otherwise. It's abuse no matter where it happens, and too easy to use. The alternative is actually talking to your kids and teaching them restraint, respect for authority without bowing down to it, respect for elders, and animals. I won't tolerate anyone hitting my child, especially seeing I don't myself, and if anyone does, they're going down hard. I don't see any big changes in this country until some are taken out and better ones put in, which could take decades to happen. Some are trying, and good for them.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A Thai man fatally stabbed his friend in Chon Buri after he refused to lend 20 baht. The tragic incident occurred earlier today, with police receiving a report of a stabbing at 12.30am in Mueang District.

Upon arrival, officers found 43 year old Nirun critically injured with a stab wound to his left collarbone. Despite immediate CPR efforts, he was pronounced dead in the rescue vehicle.

The suspect, 45 year old Sarawut later confessed to the crime, citing anger and repeated humiliation as his motives.

Police inspected the scene at the house of the victim’s relative, 46 year old Rattana. Evidence of a struggle amid the altercation was clear as bloodstains were found inside the residence.

According to Rattana, the conflict began when Sarawut, a close friend of the victim, arrived and asked Nirun for 20 baht. Nirun’s refusal, accompanied by questions regarding the reasoning for the money enraged Sarawut.

A physical altercation ensued, during which Sarawut, unable to overpower Nirun, instead drew a knife and stabbed him once before fleeing towards the end of the alley.

Sarawut revealed his motives during questioning, citing his previous grievances stemming from Nirun’s habit of belittling him and sharing stories of him begging for money with others.

This compounded with Nirun’s refusal to lend him 20 baht, ultimately sparking the fatal confrontation.

Following the attack, officers managed to apprehend Sarawut near the New Market in Makham Yong, approximately 5 kilometres from the crime scene.

The police have detained Sarawut and charged him with murder. Further investigations are underway to uncover additional details and motives behind the incident, reported Khaosod.

by Nattapong Westwood

Image courtesy of Khaosod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-28

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Did Nirun filed a police compaint before dying?
How can the police start actions in this case but not in the Englishman in Pattaya case?
Something doesn't add here.

Well despite all the hyperbole to the contrary on this forum, and elsewhere, 99% of the homicides committed here are Thai on Thai. Which doesn't concern us that much. Whereas in my home country the U.S, alot of it is random, alot of it is mass murder, and I consider myself to be far safer here, than there. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I agree.

From the UK and I have been attacked (unprovoked) twice whilst walking down the street.

My wife was mugged twice and had her handbag stolen both times.

Moved to Oz, house burgled.

Been in Thailand 24 years - nothing.

I never lock my doors and windows are left open - island life.

To be fair, also lived in Singapore and Hong Kong - no issues, but I did lock doors and windows there.

Nonsense I am 76 lived in Australia for 43 years never got robbed, beaten, but lived in LOS for some years I got threatened with a gun got broken into twice had my rooms in my Homestay burned down got abused at the ATM and many other things. 

On 5/28/2024 at 11:25 AM, fredwiggy said:

I've never heard of so many people carrying knives or machetes, and sticks before I came here. Of course carrying a knife before you go see someone looks like pre-meditated murder, but so many carry weapons here it seems it's looked at as normal. The lack of concern and non respect of life itself is yet another reason I don't want my daughter growing up here. We see this daily, and probably are not seeing but a pinprick of what happens countrywide daily here. Most everywhere I go, I see women carrying sticks to keep their kids in line, which is abuse but seems it's another thing that's looked at as normal, because it's been the discipline method for generations. I only wish for the generations of children to come here, that people are taught that this is wrong behavior and there are better ways to discipline and react to confrontations.

Never been in UK ?

51 minutes ago, Pattaya420 said:

Never been in UK ?

Not yet but hear all about it for many years. I know no guns allowed so some choose knives. Here, machetes and knives are carried by many. Machetes aren't allowed to be carried in the UK.

On 5/28/2024 at 9:34 PM, spidermike007 said:

Well despite all the hyperbole to the contrary on this forum, and elsewhere, 99% of the homicides committed here are Thai on Thai. Which doesn't concern us that much. Whereas in my home country the U.S, alot of it is random, alot of it is mass murder, and I consider myself to be far safer here, than there. 

Actually, most of it isn't random but gang related and suicides. US does have more mass murders but that will happen more here as time goes on.

On 5/28/2024 at 3:25 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Never seen Thais disciplining children in nearly 30 years here. And the boys especially get the royal treatment...are spoiled, always get their way and get away with anything/everything. Upbringing a real problem here, among many other factors. Too many too young, unfit, unable, unprepared, incapable and dirt poor allowed to have offspring when terminating the pregnancy is the best option. This is true in every country, not only here. 

A bit off topic, but PREVENTING the pregnancy in the first place would be better.

See all the ads on TV about sending 2 quid a month to provide clean water for babies.

I would gladly pay 5 quid a month to vasectomise all the men in the suffering countries..

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Actually, most of it isn't random but gang related and suicides. US does have more mass murders but that will happen more here as time goes on.

I doubt it. The US adores violence, weapons and mayhem. They will always be the world leader in mass murder. 

On 5/28/2024 at 7:23 PM, still kicking said:

Nonsense I am 76 lived in Australia for 43 years never got robbed, beaten, but lived in LOS for some years I got threatened with a gun got broken into twice had my rooms in my Homestay burned down got abused at the ATM and many other things. 

You had some very bad luck! Never had an issue in nearly two decades. 

In the US, all kinds of issues. Not here. 

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I doubt it. The US adores violence, weapons and mayhem. They will always be the world leader in mass murder. 

They don't adore it, it just happens when a lot of people get together and there's so much infighting instead of working together. Remember the US isn't a race but all races and creeds on earth in one place. This breeds problems with all the freedom and wrong thinking going on. Mass murders happen elsewhere , including here, and it's growing, along with all the gun violence here that rivals the US, besides mass shootings. There's a lot more crime here than most people think, and the enforcement is way down, so that also breeds more. This will only get worse before it ever gets better. Many expats here rarely leave the house except to go shopping or bars, especially in the country areas, so they won't see much of what goes on, especially since only a fraction is reported on the news.

They don't adore it, it just happens when a lot of people get together and there's so much infighting instead of working together. Remember the US isn't a race but all races and creeds on earth in one place. This breeds problems with all the freedom and wrong thinking going on. Mass murders happen elsewhere , including here, and it's growing, along with all the gun violence here that rivals the US, besides mass shootings. There's a lot more crime here than most people think, and the enforcement is way down, so that also breeds more. This will only get worse before it ever gets better. Many expats here rarely leave the house except to go shopping or bars, especially in the country areas, so they won't see much of what goes on, especially since only a fraction is reported on the news.

Well this is one of those deep philosophical discussions that we could have for days. I do believe there is something innate within the American psyche that absolutely adores violence, we are a nation founded upon violence, we were birthed upon violence, we gorge ourselves on violent TV, film, video games, and we have more mass murders than any other country in the world by many multiples. Whether or not that increases in Thailand is somewhat irrelevant, the fact of the matter is I do believe many Americans find violence appealing on many levels.