Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

Posted (edited)

We have to wait on the fine print requirements for the 180 day visa. If its like the LTR Visa or Smart Visa then its more of an exclusive program.

Edited by at15
  • Like 2

UPDATE:

Thailand makes sweeping changes for foreign travellers in record tourism bid

Changes will be made for digital nomads, students and retirees

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's government has announced sweeping changes to tourism in the country.

Tourism is a key driver of Southeast Asia’s second-largest economy and a big source of employment.

The country said on Tuesday it had approved longer visa stay periods for tourists, postgraduate students and remote workers, and better visa conditions for retirees, in a move to boost its crucial tourism sector as its economy stutters.

Starting in June, Thailand will allow travelers from 93 countries to stay for periods of 60 days, up from the current 57 nations, while more will also be eligible for visas on arrival, government spokesperson Chai Wacharonke told reporters.

Foreign students will be permitted to stay for an additional year upon graduation, while insurance requirements for foreigners seeking to retire in Thailand will be relaxed, he added.

The new measures come as part of an effort to boost visitors, especially from its main and fastest-growing markets, by extending stay limits to 60 days from 30 days for on-arrival visas.

The validity of so-called “digital nomad” visas for self-employed, remote workers will be extended to five years, from 60 days presently, with each stay limited to 180 days.

Thailand recorded 14.3 million tourists in from January to May 26 this year and is targeting a record 40 million foreign arrivals for the full year, with revenue of 3.5 trillion baht ($95.73 billion).

In pre-pandemic 2019, Thailand welcomed a record 39.9 million arrivals, generating 1.91 trillion baht.

-- independent.co.uk 2024-05-28

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bvor said:

good for me ,i like!

but i wonder how many times per year before the "you come too many times" accusations?

Well currently you needed four 30+30 day entries for 8 months....now you only need 3 entries for 9 months so no problem as less visits 😀

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Wondering what happens to expat insurance policies now since they've backfipped on O-A insurance and went back to 440k. I'm on a non-O and fishing for insurance and most of the good policies were for 3 million baht like the O-A....might wait a month to see what happens

Ah, but.....

In other visa-related changes, tourists aged 50 years and above seeking long-stay visas are now only required to have health insurance coverage of 440,000 baht, down from the previous 3 million baht. This reduction will be effective for long-stay applicants from September to December, according to Mr Chai.

Is there a complete list somewhere of ALL 93 countries whose citizens will not need a visa to come to Thailand, as well as a complete list of countries whose citizens will qualify for the visa on arrival?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well currently you needed four 30+30 day entries for 8 months....now you only need 3 entries for 9 months so no problem as less visits 😀

i hope you are right, but will i/o muppet switch from number of visits b/s to number of months b/s when no visa........ to maintain their sweetners.

whatever i still have 60 day evisa now available in oz . 

Just now, Bvor said:

i hope you are right, but will i/o muppet switch from number of visits b/s to number of months b/s when no visa........ to maintain their sweetners.

whatever i still have 60 day evisa now available in oz . 

What would be the point. 60 day e-visa costs $60 and is exactly the same 60 days as a free vIsa exempt?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, theblether said:

"- Adjusting the criteria and conditions for the Long Stay visa for elderly people who wish to spend their retirement in Thailand, starting in September 2024."

Oooft - here we go. So where do they go with this? Raising the 65,000 baht monthly qualifier or 800,000 baht in bank? 

Let the speculation begin. 

The last time Thaksin did this he doubled the necessary amounts iirc

So if you have 800,000 in the bank,  please bring 800,000 more - taxable, of course

Edited by Lorry
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

What would be the point. 60 day e-visa costs $60 and is exactly the same 60 days as a free vIsa exempt?

i been doing mixture of visa exempts/tourist visa for nearly 20 years cos thats all the time i need.

just saying multiple visa exempts have been frowned upon more than multiple visa's.

you may well be right.... "no problem".

wait and see to be sure.

cheers

ps i avoid rogue jomtien i/o so extensions or tm30's not for me.   

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I honestly cannot believe what I am reading.

This government seems to have a split personality when it comes to foreigners/tourism. 

How long before we see the obligatory 'over tourism' articles, and the 'tourists stealing Thai jobs' evening specials? Anyone taking bets? 

Bob. 

It's a worthwhile point. Because it's going to cause the volume of numbers through the roof. 

Edited by DonniePeverley

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Confuding since Cambodia and Laos already have visa free entry albeit gorr a shorter dtay (14 days). Are they really going to give them 60 days now? 

Looks like it. More than likely an effect would be more working here illegally. 

Also now allowing visa on arrival to some countries with very high crime rates. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

Whilst the visa length may be welcome by some, you have to think about whether Thailand will still look the same after the huge volume of people that are now going to be let in. 

This is not the good news people think. 

Thailand is quite big. Not just Bangkok. I hope they provide 60+30 days on land border runs too as it would require just 1 for a 180 day/year stay.

• Agree 2