Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And I will still have to supply 26 copies and 61 signatures and witness for my marriage extension, home visit and 90 day reports, after 9 yrs of marriage Thanks Thailand  you are sooo caring to us who look after Thai women, and their families, who's fathers are not around, giving them a secure home and life. :jap:

You choose that country yourself. Nobody forced you?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

Can anyone decypher WTH this probably means?

" This reduction will be effective for long-stay applicants from September to December, according to Mr Chai. "

Does that mean, the new rule for this starts somewhere between Sept through Dec? or   : I guess it MUST mean that?

Wait. What.

Edited by AreYouGerman

6 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

You choose that country yourself. Nobody forced you?

True I wasn't frog marched here but I want to stay with the woman who loves me and me her. Never mind, pity you're not loved..:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

True I wasn't frog marched here but I want to stay with the woman who loves me and me her. Never mind, pity you're not loved..:coffee1:

Woah woah, don't need to get passive aggressive on me! I am happy for you that you found a Thai wife!

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Sounds like they want the tax money. So can we just say we’re digital nomads. Someone explain to me why a digital nomad is going to get 180 days while a married expat has to jump through all kinds of hoops and report every90

Marriage visas are so difficult I trashed mine, and went with the retirement visa. It was almost like they were saying "you marry one of our women and we will punish you for it". Yikes. Hated the process. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think of more concern to a lot of people will be if in simplifying the 17 Non-IMM visa types to 7 types, they merge the Non-Imm O & OA retirement visas forcing non-Imm O holders to get Health Insurance.

If they do then let's hope existing holders are Grandfathered in or they offer an alternative for people who cannot get Health Insurance.  

They didn't "grandfather" the health criteria for the O-A extensions. Why would (should) the Os get a commonsense approach. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And I will still have to supply 26 copies and 61 signatures and witness for my marriage extension, home visit and 90 day reports, after 9 yrs of marriage Thanks Thailand  you are sooo caring to us who look after Thai women, and their families, who's fathers are not around, giving them a secure home and life. :jap:

WOW, your hand must be sore from patting yourself on the back all day, I'm sure you are just doing that out the goodness of your heart and don't ask anything of your wife

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think of more concern to a lot of people will be if in simplifying the 17 Non-IMM visa types to 7 types, they merge the Non-Imm O & OA retirement visas forcing non-Imm O holders to get Health Insurance.

If they do then let's hope existing holders are Grandfathered in or they offer an alternative for people who cannot get Health Insurance.  

Yes, the good news about immigration is always the same as asking you for more money.

For Thai insurance, no problem for grandparents, they will pay 400,000 THB annually to obtain maybe the max same amount of reimbursements as current Thai insurance offers.

17 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Nothing for the majority on extensions of stay for retirement/marriage originating from an O visa ….. boo !

Those holding OA visas and presumably extensions of permission to stay see their mandatory health insurance dropping from 3M baht coverage to 440k.

This is from Khaosod. I'm not sure what exactly this means. Given TAT maybe they'll make it harder.

🤣

But a few things that would improve it. 

Scrap the 90 days.

Reduce the 800,000 holding requirements 

And definitely get rid of the proposed tax residency rule with all the associated paperwork. It only reduces the amount of money people will bring to the country.

"Restructuring and reducing the number of Non-Immigrant visa categories from 17 to 7, starting in September 2024.
Adjusting the criteria and conditions for the Long Stay visa for elderly people who wish to spend their retirement in Thailand, starting in September 2024.... อ่านข่าวต้นฉบับได้ที่ : https://www.khaosod.co.th/khaosod-english/news_8258349

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

At the same time they are proposing a tax to enter Thailand.  Not that it is a huge amount but you would think that you either are adopting policies to encourage tourism or those that are intended to curb tourism but not both at the same time. 

This happens because of different ministries having different priorities. The tourism ministry want more visitors with few deterrences, the health ministry wants every visitors insured while the police ( including immigration) wants lesser load in enforcement, the other ministries just want to make more money from tourists and finally the politicians only want everything …votes and all. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, sabai-dee-man said:

I've not had a visa for about 15 years, and stay 5-6 months a year over each winter.

similar to my past entry experiences except once last year when i was advised at swampy to get a tourist visa next entry which i did. my and other members present query is how will multiple 60 day visa exempts actually play out - my crystal ball gets all foggy when it comes to thailand so wait and see i guess. 

37 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Marriage visas are so difficult I trashed mine, and went with the retirement visa. It was almost like they were saying "you marry one of our women and we will punish you for it". Yikes. Hated the process. 

Too many scam marriages for long stay worldwide and Thailand is not exclusive . 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

This happens because of different ministries having different priorities.

Yes, I agree.  Now it should be that the prime minister gathers the heads of those ministries together and decide on a cohesive and coordinated policy.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Sounds like they want the tax money. So can we just say we’re digital nomads. Someone explain to me why a digital nomad is going to get 180 days while a married expat has to jump through all kinds of hoops and report every90

fairly sure there aint any Thai Immi staff on this forum

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, black tabby12345 said:

The proposed change opens up the flood gate for more overstayers, illegal workers, and foreign offenders.

What makes this current government so keen to help increase Thai police's workload?

They are already busy enough with the negatives already here.

Tourism is a big earner for Thailand and without good prospects in the coming year for other industries, this is the only option for current administration to keep the people happy and not going into demonstrations. Moreover this tourism industry need little effort to establish. Just open the floodgates and fiddle with the requirements. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I would punish you as well if hordes of high fertility males from incompatible cultures with the promise of getting access to young females invading Germ,.. I mean Thailand!

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Yes, I agree.  Now it should be that the prime minister gathers the heads of those ministries together and decide on a cohesive and coordinated policy.  

You need an iron fist to cobble the coalition leaders to form out policy. The current pm may not be up to the task. Thailand need a strongman at the helm . 

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It would remain at 30 day extension as per when previously visa exempt raised to 45 days extensions remained at 30 days

How do you know, details haven't been released yet 

• Agree 1