5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

5 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Nothing to be curious about.

Every time you re enter Thailand within the 5 year visa validity period you'll receive a stay stamp for 180 days.

It seems that way, but I am still confused why they would say that extending your 180 day stay for another 180 days is 10,000 THB, but apparently you can do a visa run and just come back and get another 180 days for free.

Anyway, it definitely seems to be like you say: a visa on which you can basically stay in Thailand for 5 years.

For Soft Power, it might be a bit tricky.

I emailed my Embassy and asked how to get the DTV if I sign up for cooking classes.

They said I need a letter proving I will signed up for 3 months.

So what if I want to renew? I guess I would also need another 3 months proof?

Will people be getting fake letters to get around this?

1 hour ago, anrcaccount said:

They're giving it away like candy.

I don't think people realise this is the biggest relaxation in Thai visa rules in a very long time. Decades likely. 

Game has radically changed, it's open season now. 

I think this is true. Interesting to see if it works out in terms of economic benefits and how quickly. It could be genius. If it doesn't pay off fairly quickly, you'd imagine there'll be changes to the terms and conditions at some point. They have a lot of options to implement a stricter regime at some point while sticking to the basic idea. 

If it ever reaches the consciousness of the wider Thai public and becomes an issue or strikes a negative chord, like the 'grey Chinese', this government will be toast and it will be gone. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

On 7/23/2024 at 6:52 PM, roobaa01 said:

Good morning 

Pertaining the DTV validity 5 years, what happens if my passport has a remaining validity of only 4 years would receive a 5 year validity sticker?

Wbr

Roobaa01

If you get it online it's a PDF you can print out and carry on your phone.  Not a stamp or sticker that goes in your passport.  Same as the Tourist Visa.  Looks like if you physically go into a consulate you get a sticker in your passport.  I would assume you also get the same letter/PDF version as well but not sure about that.

Remains to be seen what happens if you get a new passport and the ID# is different to what is on the Visa.  You would probably have to go into immigration or apply online to get that changed on the Visa.  I suspect Thai immigration hasn't thought about this scenario yet so just hope your not one of the first that has to deal with it.

Edited by shdmn

9 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Nothing to be curious about.

Every time you re enter Thailand within the 5 year visa validity period you'll receive a stay stamp for 180 days.

That plus the 60 day waiver on arrival should make the Jomtien immigration office a lot less busy.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Remains to be seen what happens if you get a new passport and the ID# is different to what is on the Visa.  You would probably have to go into immigration or apply online to get that changed on the Visa.  I suspect Thai immigration hasn't thought about this scenario yet so just hope your not one of the first that has to deal with it.

You carry the expired passport with you and they check it against the visa then stamp you in on the new one.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

You carry the expired passport with you and they check it against the visa then stamp you in on the new one.

That had crossed my mind.  Remains to be seen if this would work in reality.  In my limited experience, they don't respond very well to expired travel documents.

Edited by shdmn

Wouldn't it be nice if they just released the specific documents required and the specifics of those documents so we didn't have to have a 100 page discussion trying to figure it out for ourselves.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, shdmn said:

If you get it online it's a PDF you can print out and carry on your phone.  Not a stamp or sticker that goes in your passport.  Same as the Tourist Visa.  Looks like if you physically go into a consulate you get a sticker in your passport.  I would assume you also get the same letter/PDF version as well but not sure about that.

Question, if that's the case with the PDF. Why is it necessary for someone to be in your home country to apply for the Destination Thailand Visa? A person currently in Thailand or a neighboring country could easily apply without returning home. How would they confirm that you were actually in your home country? 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I think this is true. Interesting to see if it works out in terms of economic benefits and how quickly. It could be genius. If it doesn't pay off fairly quickly, you'd imagine there'll be changes to the terms and conditions at some point. They have a lot of options to implement a stricter regime at some point while sticking to the basic idea. 

If it ever reaches the consciousness of the wider Thai public and becomes an issue or strikes a negative chord, like the 'grey Chinese', this government will be toast and it will be gone. 

The key factor to consider is the income tax requirements. I believe an individual becomes liable for income tax in Thailand after staying in the country for 180 days or more, unless a tax treaty applies. However, it’s relatively easy to circumvent this by leaving Thailand and returning before reaching that threshold. It will be interesting to see how this situation evolves.

Here are more details on the tax requirements: https://www.expattaxthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/FOREIGNERS_PAY_TAX2024.pdf

Just now, racket said:

The key factor to consider is the income tax requirements. I believe an individual becomes liable for income tax in Thailand after staying in the country for 180 days or more, unless a tax treaty applies. However, it’s relatively easy to circumvent this by leaving Thailand and returning before reaching that threshold. It will be interesting to see how this situation evolves.

Here are more details on the tax requirements: https://www.expattaxthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/FOREIGNERS_PAY_TAX2024.pdf

It's 180 days in any one calendar year so if you spend Jan-March 2025 in Thailand (90 days), leave & come back Oct-Dec 2025 (92 Days) you're tax resident.

On the flipside if you spend August 2024-June 2025 in Thailand, leave & don't return until 1st Jan 2026 you won't have spent 180 days in either year so won't be tax resident in either year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/30/2024 at 5:53 AM, george said:

What can you do with a DTV visa for Thailand? 

With the Destination Thailand Visa (DTV), you are allowed to stay in Thailand for up to 180 days per year.

- The visa is valid for 5 years.

- It's also possible to extend your stay in Thailand once for a maximum of 180 days.

- Accompanying Family Members: Legal spouses and legitimate children under 20 years old

Requirements:

There are two known main requirements:

- You need to be at least 20 years old

- You need to have financial proof of at least 500,000 baht throughout your stay in Thailand.

DTV-INFO.jpeg

What happens if you become ill or have an accident and your hospital bill brings you under the 500,000 baht in your bank account during your stay in Thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/30/2024 at 6:04 AM, CHdiver said:

If they don't ask for the 500k baht to be in Thailand, I would go for this visa..

Oh! You can bet they will, they will never do anything in a farangs favour. Are you also guaranteed that if, or should I say when, they change the rules again, will you be OK for up to these 5 years?

15 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Had DTV granted by London embassy. About 30 hour turnaround!

I'm co-owner of a car sales/service business in UK (although formally retired from day-to-day working).  I simply wrote a letter (with our business logo and contact details in header/footer) and headed it 'Confirmation of Employment'.  I then confirmed that I worked for the company and signed it myself. Nothing was stated with regard to remote working. Submitted with Council Tax bill as proof of location and a UK bank statement. Submitted about 4pm on Tuesday and received  eVisa 11.00pm Wednesday!  Seems ridiculously easy to obtain and good value at £300 for five years. I used to get the ME non-O 'family member' visa but they pulled it from London a year or so back.

Did you include details of income? 

Are most people going down the workation route?

I’m wondering if the soft power route is better if we get tax questions at a later date.

would be good to hear of soft power dtv visas being issued and what documentation was required.

4 hours ago, racket said:

Question, if that's the case with the PDF. Why is it necessary for someone to be in your home country to apply for the Destination Thailand Visa? A person currently in Thailand or a neighboring country could easily apply without returning home. How would they confirm that you were actually in your home country? 

Having a visa with an issued-date which is while you were stamped-into Thailand would be a dead giveaway. 

If in Thailand, better would be to apply in Phnom Penh or Vientiane, which are not requiring residency in those countries to apply for it.  

24 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Having a visa with an issued-date which is while you were stamped-into Thailand would be a dead giveaway. 

If in Thailand, better would be to apply in Phnom Penh or Vientiane, which are not requiring residency in those countries to apply for it.  

Do you mean one can apply for a DTL at a Thai embassy in Cambodia or Vientiane? I went to thaievisa.go.th and selected both countries, but I received the following message: ‘You are not eligible to apply for a visa through the Thai E-Visa system. Please apply for a visa in person at the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate.’

• Confused 1

On 5/30/2024 at 12:00 AM, BritManToo said:

Looks good, might be an alternative to a retirement VISA/extension.

Stay 180 days, extend once (assuming 1,900bht), border hop, rinse and repeat.

Averaging 3,900bht/year.

Around the same cost as a retirement extension with multi re-entry, but 300kbht less in the bank required.

Extension only once during 5 year duration of the visa. Can't rinse and repeat. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, racket said:

Do you mean one can apply for a DTL at a Thai embassy in Cambodia or Vientiane? I went to thaievisa.go.th and selected both countries, but I received the following message: ‘You are not eligible to apply for a visa through the Thai E-Visa system. Please apply for a visa in person at the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate.’

Cambodia and Laos don't use e-visa so you have to go in person to apply (Thai Consulate websites there also don't ask for proof of residence so anyone can apply)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Anyone try and get the DTV in Kuala Lumpur trough E-visa or in person application? Seems to work now for Cambodia and Vientiane but wondering if KL is the same.

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been answered already. I have looked through pages and pages of stuff, but I have a DTV visa. Do I need to book a return ticket, or can I just go to Thailand on a one-way ticket?

• Like 1