5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

On 8/23/2024 at 2:51 PM, sikishrory said:

Thanks for the info. Really handy.

Seems like havign 500k is the main thing. More so than showing indivdual transactions.

The proof of employment one is the only grey area left for me. 

Not that important anyway I guess as anyone can get one on the basis of muay Thai anyway

I'm not seeing any success stories with the soft power route (Muay Thai, Cooking classes ).  Am I missing something?  Lots of people casually mentioning how easy it would be but want to see some approvals.  

Has anyone had success getting the DTV based on having medical appointment? I’ve been putting off a personal medical checkup / procedure(s) for a number of years now and perhaps this DTV is a sign I should procrastinate no more.

I contacted my embassy and they said only official letters of invitation would be accepted (I.e. appointment slips not accepted). After emailing a number of well known hospital brands, only a few would do this.

My only concern is that for this first appointment will be a consultation / checkup and then any procedures thereafter would be decided upon by the doctor - is this initial letter enough for DTV? Remains to be seen.

I note Tod (Daniels) had mentioned somewhere else that some embassies needed a treatment plan. If you read this Tod, could you advise what embassies are doing this?

Many Thanks

I doubt anyone has any experiences to report yet but I will ask anyway.

1. Will it be possible to obtain the documentation to register a vehicle in your own name with a DTV?

2. Will banks allow you to open an account with a DTV? I have a bank account here but I would like to open another.

3. The impossible question. Does anybody envisage denials of entry if holders of DTV's spend 11 months a year in Thailand? This is what happened with METV's so it is not too far a stretch of imagination.

Replies sharing experiences from those holding DTV's would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I doubt anyone has any experiences to report yet but I will ask anyway.

1. Will it be possible to obtain the documentation to register a vehicle in your own name with a DTV?

2. Will banks allow you to open an account with a DTV? I have a bank account here but I would like to open another.

3. The impossible question. Does anybody envisage denials of entry if holders of DTV's spend 11 months a year in Thailand? This is what happened with METV's so it is not too far a stretch of imagination.

Replies sharing experiences from those holding DTV's would be greatly appreciated.

1. Yes.

2. Why do you want another account if you have one already?

3. It's a 5 year visa, unlikely. They explicitly said you can use it as many times as you want within a 5 year period.

44 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Such as? 

Omg, you really don't know Thais? 

Every new job - and Thais change jobs often - requires an account at the bank your employer works with.

Transfer fees to send your money upcountry to the parents are very high, so many have an account in Bangkok and another one in the village. 

For the same reason - very high fees - you want to have an account with the bank that runs the nearest working ATM - this can change. Same for branches. 

You might even have an account at the bank of your landlord, to avoid transfer fees.

Some banks have special promotions that make it a good move to  open an account with them, eg TMB once introduced free net- banking,  that was a very good deal that only TMB offered. 

Some banks do not have a functionality you want,  eg BBL can pay MEA, but not PEA - so for PEA you need another account. 

Accounting: you can use different accounts for different purposes.  You may have an account with very little money and give the card to your child,  another one for your mia noi, another one you use for savings. 

Etc

Edited by Lorry
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Omg, you really don't know Thais? 

Every new job - and Thais change jobs often - requires an account at the bank your employer works with.

Transfer fees to send your money upcountry to the parents are very high, so many have an account in Bangkok and another one in the village. 

For the same reason - very high fees - you want to have an account with the bank that runs the nearest working ATM - this can change. Same for branches. 

You might even have an account at the bank of your landlord, to avoid transfer fees.

Some banks have special promotions that make it a good move to  open an account with them, eg TMB once introduced free net- banking,  that was a very good deal that only TMB offered. 

Some banks do not have a functionality you want,  eg BBL can pay MEA, but not PEA - so for PEA you need another account. 

Accounting: you can use different accounts for different purposes.  You may have an account with very little money and give the card to your child,  another one for your mia noi, another one you used for savings. 

Etc

So I could give my second account to the Mia noi. Not a bad idea. Thanks! 

5 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

So I could give my second account to the Mia noi. Not a bad idea. Thanks! 

For this reason alone,  some people have 5 accounts.

OTOH, some men want to have their own account that the wife doesn't know about.  Many Thai husbands deliver their salary to their wife.

And a smart girl will have a separate account for every sponsor,  just in case.

Edited by Lorry

6 minutes ago, Lorry said:

For this reason alone,  some people have 5 accounts.

OTOH, some men want to have their own account that the wife doesn't know about.  Many Thai husbands deliver their salary to their wife.

Makes sense, though I'd never show the account in the first place. The main one I mean. 

Has anyone been able to get a Certificate of residence under the DTV?

looks like in Bangkok I cant get it at immigration because I donty do 90 day reporting.

wonder if my countries embassy here in bkk could do it.. some say get at police station or use visa agent 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

Has anyone been able to get a Certificate of residence under the DTV?

looks like in Bangkok I cant get it at immigration because I donty do 90 day reporting.

wonder if my countries embassy here in bkk could do it.. some say get at police station or use visa agent 

The problem many have at CW, is their time in-Thailand does not exceed 90-days before border-bouncing, due to their Visa-type. 

One would be legally required to do 90-day reporting if staying 6-mo on the DTV.  Then, at CW, one could also get a Certificate of Residence.  One could use an agent to do the 90-day report, if desired - and to get the CoR.

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

One would be legally required to do 90-day reporting if staying 6-mo on the DTV. 

90-day reporting is not required on the dtv regardless of length of stay, as far as I understand 

Edited by Sum Ting Wong
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

90-day reporting is not required on the dtv regardless of length of stay, as far as I understand 

There is no exception for 90-day reporting in the published (Gazette) information.   One could "avoid" doing it, by doing exclusively border/airplane in/outs every 180 days - thus never having to visit immigration in Thailand.  But, at some point in the future, they could start checking for 90-day compliance at exit-points. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

There is no exception for 90-day reporting in the published (Gazette) information.   One could "avoid" doing it, by doing exclusively border/airplane in/outs every 180 days - thus never having to visit immigration in Thailand.  But, at some point in the future, they could start checking for 90-day compliance at exit-points. 

Interesting. I had never even considered that I may need to do 90-day reporting until I read your comment earlier. There was nothing during my visa process/research to indicate that. 

But I see now that DTV holders will likely have to report.

You’d think there would be mention of this somewhere, if its required…

The average person who is not well versed on thai visa policy, who enters on a DTV, will probably not even be aware they need to report 

Edited by Sum Ting Wong

8 hours ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

Interesting. I had never even considered that I may need to do 90-day reporting until I read your comment earlier. There was nothing during my visa process/research to indicate that. 

But I see now that DTV holders will likely have to report.

You’d think there would be mention of this somewhere, if its required…

The average person who is not well versed on thai visa policy, who enters on a DTV, will probably not even be aware they need to report 

I was never told I have to report every 90 days when I got my visa.

You may slowly discover that Thailand is a foreign country,  they do have their own laws, own currency, own customs. And they generally expect people to know the laws and rules and to follow them. 

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

I was never told I have to report every 90 days when I got my visa.

True, but most "Visas" do not allow a continuous-stay over 90-days.  If one obtains an extension of stay, which allows more than 90-days stay, they will be informed at immigration, complete with a slip in their passport indicating the next date to report.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2024 at 3:29 PM, Rob Browder said:

One could use an agent to do the 90-day report, if desired - and to get the CoR.

I wonder if I could use an agent to get the CoR sooner than 90 days?

I want to get a scooter + licence and thai bank account. But don’t want to wait 90 days, then another several weeks for CoR, etc 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm currently living in thailand on a thai retirement visa extension.  I did the numbers.  it's a tossup for me on whether I go with DTV or continue with thai retirement visa extension.  on the other hand, this DTV visa will bring in large numbers of foreigners simply because the age limit is 20 years old.  I wonder if thai immigration realizes how many people will come?  population of thailand is around 70 million.  can thailand accommodate 10+ million MORE?  people from russia and china alone who are running away from their countries will overrun thailand.  that's my guess.  china has population of 1.4B.  india same.  russia 90M.  it will become scary here if they all come.  I think thailand should reconsider this DTV visa.  my 2 cents.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I'm currently living in thailand on a thai retirement visa extension.  I did the numbers.  it's a tossup for me on whether I go with DTV or continue with thai retirement visa extension.  on the other hand, this DTV visa will bring in large numbers of foreigners simply because the age limit is 20 years old.  I wonder if thai immigration realizes how many people will come?  population of thailand is around 70 million.  can thailand accommodate 10+ million MORE?  people from russia and china alone who are running away from their countries will overrun thailand.  that's my guess.  china has population of 1.4B.  india same.  russia 90M.  it will become scary here if they all come.  I think thailand should reconsider this DTV visa.  my 2 cents.

4 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Can one apply for the DTV in any embassy or does it have to be of the passport country?

You should be a resident there.  Proof depends on which country and which embassy. 

Vientiane doesn't have this requirement. 

I haven't seen any DTV application failures! Not here and not an Facebook. Everybody is a success. Really?

If I apply... Plonk down 10k thb or more... If I'm not successful I lose that money. I assume. 

I live here in a non o based on retirement...i can switch no problem? But I'm not supposed to work with my current visa. Now all of a sudden I'm working as a digital nomad because I have a few websites... Which is true... But my income comes from pension funds. My intuition says stick with my non o visa. Thoughts?