5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

18 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Can one apply for the DTV in any embassy or does it have to be of the passport country?

Some Thai embassies limit visas based on residents - including for Tourist Visas, in some cases. 
The DTV has been successfully obtained in Vientiane and Phnom Penh by non-residents/citizens.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, parallelman said:

Is DTV a one time Visa or can a second be obtained after the first expires?

Impossible to know Thai Visa policy that far in advance.  At best, one can hope to be "grandfathered" on an unbroken-series extensions-of-stay, as that happened in the past, in some (not all) cases.

• Like 1

With a DTV visa you are allowed to stay a max of 180 days per years for 5 years at a cost of 10k baht for the DTV visa. For the other 185 days of each year are you able to come into Thailand visa exempt and still have your DTV valid? Eg. use your 180 DTV, fly out after 180 days then fly back in visa exempt the next day or a few days after?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

With a DTV visa you are allowed to stay a max of 180 days per years for 5 years at a cost of 10k baht for the DTV visa. For the other 185 days of each year are you able to come into Thailand visa exempt and still have your DTV valid? Eg. use your 180 DTV, fly out after 180 days then fly back in visa exempt the next day or a few days after?

You can use a DTV to stay for up to a year without leaving Thailand by getting one extension at the local immigration. Then you can leave Thailand and re-enter (perhaps immediately, perhaps after 1 day abroad) and you can stay another year - and so forth until the visa expires after five years.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

You cannot enter Thailand Visa Exempt if you have a valid Visa in your Passport BUT this doesn't matter with the DTV as it's Multi-Entry Visa so every time you enter Thailand you will be given a 180 Day permission to stay.

FWIW I read somewhere (can't find it now) that one of the MFA guys said you had to spend at least 1 night outside of Thailand before returning & in a recent Integrity Legal video one of the Laos borders was reportedly insisting on 2 days outside of the country before you could re-enter Thailand.  

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, bbi1 said:

With a DTV visa you are allowed to stay a max of 180 days per years for 5 years at a cost of 10k baht for the DTV visa.

No, you receive a permitted stay of 180 days "per-entry" ongoing for 5 years - so can border-bounce for another 180-day permitted stay.  You might have to stay out a night before returning, between 180-day permitted-stays.

I applied for a DTV on the E-visa website (London Embassy) and the credit card did a security check due to the £300 fee. After I had completed the check, the bank told me to try to pay again after 10 minutes.

However, there is no option to pay any more on the e-visa site. It just appears to be stuck on pending payment.

Has anybody encountered this situation?

Scratch that. I worked it out. 😜

Edited by Briggsy

Has anyone been rejected yet for a remote working DTV?

(Not just asked for more documentation that you couldn't provide, but flat out rejected with no recourse.)

I'm going a on 2 weeks of "Pending Approval" status and starting to wonder what's up.

On 8/29/2024 at 10:40 PM, Sum Ting Wong said:

I have a feeling in 5 years this visa will be discontinued 

And if you applied in the digital nomad category they will have a record of that, questioning you every time you try enter as a tourist.  Most likely forcing a lot of people to get that expensive digital nomad visa.  

Edited by shdmn

4 hours ago, moana said:

My first application was accepted at the window but later rejected because the reviewing officer wanted to see an additional bank statement that shows my "salary" going into the account.

Could you expand on that please? What 'salary' did he want to see? I thought the only requirement was a statement showing 500,000 baht in the account at time of application?

33 minutes ago, alw22 said:

Has anyone been rejected yet for a remote working DTV?

(Not just asked for more documentation that you couldn't provide, but flat out rejected with no recourse.)

I'm going a on 2 weeks of "Pending Approval" status and starting to wonder what's up.

Maybe you applied a long time before your travel date? Some embassies do not like that so they take their time. Mine took 18 days at the Danish Embassy, travel date October 1st. I applied August 5th.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I must have been living under a rock not knowing about this visa.

I went to this agent I was used to help me get my Non-Imm O before, trying to get the same thing now mine has expired and just found out about the DTV.

As far as I can see its going to be around 30k total (10k visa, 10k travel, 10k visa agent fees) , but then you basically only need to do a visa run once every year (as in leave country after every 180 days and come straight back) for the next 5 years! this just seems too good to be true, would love not to worry about 90 day runs and extensions and days at immigration like Im doing now.

The start of this thread seems a little confusing with people having different interpretations of how the visa will work, Am I right in my thinking that its just like any multi-entry, so you can come back and forth as many times as you want over the 5 years. Any 1 stay can be max 180 days, but then you can just do a boarder run and come back for the rest of the year and do the same thing when that 180 days expires.

Seems like a no brainer for me to go for this one.

My question is have I got this right, as in its not 180 days a year and then you need to leave for the rest of the year, as in what some posts were saying at the beginning of this thread.

Also has anyone had experience obtaining this visa with a good agent here in Chiang Mai?

Edited by wisemonkey

3 hours ago, wisemonkey said:

As far as I can see its going to be around 30k total (10k visa, 10k travel, 10k visa agent fees)

You seem to know that you'll need to apply for this visa outside of Thailand, because you've included travel expenses.

So I'm wondering why you've also included visa agent fees - how can an agent based in Chiang Mai assist you to obtain such a DTV from a Thai embassy or consulate abroad?

Personally, I think for those who qualify for a non-immigrant visa, it's best to stay with that option. The DTV is mostly interesting for people who didn't qualify for any longterm visa previously - unmarried ones below the age of 50 who wish to spend more time in Thailand without a need to seek employment because they have funds or income from abroad.

Edited by Caldera
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Personally, I think for those who qualify for a non-immigrant visa, it's best to stay with that option. The DTV is mostly interesting for people who didn't qualify for any longterm visa previously - unmarried ones below the age of 50 who wish to spend more time in Thailand without a need to seek employment because they have funds or income from abroad.

For me, the DTV is both easier and cheaper than NON-O based on retirement. I am a winter bird and with the DTV I do not need to leave Thailand after 90 days; and the price of the DTV is the same for five years as two years for the NON-O. It is also easier to get the DTV (if you meet the requirements) as there are fewer documents you need to supply.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, wisemonkey said:

I went to this agent I was used to help me get my Non-Imm O before, trying to get the same thing now mine has expired and just found out about the DTV.

Also has anyone had experience obtaining this visa with a good agent here in Chiang Mai?

If getting extensions in-country after 180 days, vs going on a border-run, you might need to pay an agent for the extension, depending on your reason for obtaining the visa, and whatever (currently unknown) paperwork immigration will require.

But, yes, per your question, it is a normal "multi-entry" visa.  Based on the current rules, any entry-hassles would be of the same sort faced by those with METVs, Visa-Exempt entries, etc - only needing agent-assistance at "known-problem" entry points.

I would like to hear how the visa-agent you spoke to is arranging thins.  I am guessing it would be based on "soft power" (cooking schools, etc), or similar?  Do they just prepare the paperwork / arrange with the "class" or whatever (the 10K Baht) - then you take that to Vientiane or Savannahket?

• Confused 1

I noticed on my DTV e-visa, it says under "Remarks": "Passport valid until 15April2028" (which is correct).

I should still be able to enter with this e-visa at that point as long as I bring the old passport along with the new one, right?  Nothing needs to be done to update the e-visa?

Anyone know what happens when my passport expires with the DTV eVisa?  Not talking about a sticker in the passport but the separate eVisa PDF I print out.  It has my passport ID# on it and I will need to get a new one next year.  I can certainly bring my old one with me, but will I be able to go into immigration and get my existing eVisa updated with the new passport ID# so that I don't have to do that for the next 4 years?

Edited by shdmn

22 minutes ago, alw22 said:

I noticed on my DTV e-visa, it says under "Remarks": "Passport valid until 15April2028" (which is correct).

I should still be able to enter with this e-visa at that point as long as I bring the old passport along with the new one, right?  Nothing needs to be done to update the e-visa?

Interesting. My passport expires in 2028 as well but nothing mentioned as a remark. Was going to ask immigration about that closer to the time but think others have said that normally you just show old passport with new passport and visa printout.

Under remarks, mine shows “Employment Prohibited” which I assumed meant employment with a Thai company and not that I can’t do my own work given I applied as a remote worker (rather than soft power).

Edited by Chalky0w
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chalky0w said:

Under remarks, mine shows “Employment Prohibited” which I assumed meant employment with a Thai company and not that I can’t do my own work given I applied as a remote worker (rather than soft power).

I guess the agent can write whatever he wants.   My remarks section only mentions the passport expiry and says "Digital Nomad", which I don't think is an official term used anywhere else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lapamita said:

and PP is charge 400 usd same14000 thb

These embassies are price gouging to get a few extra bucks into their pockets.

USD$400 = 13,440 baht = AUD$594 - when using Google to convert it over.

Edited by bbi1