5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

On 9/20/2024 at 9:42 PM, JimmyTobacco said:

Has anyone managed to get a bank account on the DTV? I saw on Reddit that for many people it was a little problematic. I just applied for the certificate of residence here in Chiang Mai and hope to get it within a few days, so maybe that will make it easier to get an account.

Yes got one at SCB but I've shown my Yellow Book and DL.

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

1b) one of them used the medical route, same dental clinic I went to, in Thai.

All of them have successfully received the visa slip.

What type of dental work was used? A simple checkup and clean or something complex?

What type of documentation did the dental clinic provide?

Edited by bbi1

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What type of dental work was used? A simple checkup and clean or something complex?

What type of documentation did the dental clinic provide?

2 appointments: tooth removal and filling printed on a receipt for another removal.
Mine were for taking a mold and putting the dentures in.

• Like 1

One Russian guy got Krungsri account with just DTV + DL in Hua Hin,  DL was from Krabi so he had to show them rental contract in Hua Hin, just show, no copies were made. He had CoR but bank did not take it. 

Scb's Head Office  turned his request down, just DTV is not enough apparently.

Edited by Tim K

52 minutes ago, alw22 said:

If anyone knows a good agent who can help open a bank account for DTV holders in Bangkok, please message me.   I was quoted 21k thb by one agent, which seems steep.

That's absolutely insane. Surely that agent is taking the piss.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, alw22 said:

If anyone knows a good agent who can help open a bank account for DTV holders in Bangkok, please message me.   I was quoted 21k thb by one agent, which seems steep.

That is an outright ridiculous amount. Hopefully you can find better offers.

• Agree 1

On 9/23/2024 at 3:11 PM, Schnitzelfritz said:

Are Thai language classes from a school recognized by the Thai Ministry of Education accepted under the soft powers category? 

P.S. No, thank you I don't want to apply for an ED visa..

I have opened a separate thread about this subject. 

@Moderators, I'm aware there are already several threads about the DTV but none is about getting a DTV with Thai language classes

Edited by Schnitzelfritz
added link

On 9/23/2024 at 4:43 PM, Tim K said:

One Russian guy got Krungsri account with just DTV + DL in Hua Hin,  DL was from Krabi so he had to show them rental contract in Hua Hin, just show, no copies were made. He had CoR but bank did not take it. 

Scb's Head Office  turned his request down, just DTV is not enough apparently.

On 9/23/2024 at 11:05 AM, Tim K said:

Yes got one at SCB but I've shown my Yellow Book and DL.

Getting a Thai DL was next on the list, but perhaps I should have done that before attempting the bank account, since the DL seems quite easy to get. However, I was foolish enough to apply for a residence certificate with the sole purpose of making a bank account, and I am still awaiting that one, so I am not sure if that residence certificate will be valid for the DL as well, or if I need to apply for a new one that states the purpose of the DL. At the immigration office they told me that a RC needs to be made again for every different purpose, but that might not be entirely correct.

I hadn't looked into getting a yellow book yet, but that might be a good idea as well.

I also heard that some people got bank accounts on the ED visa through their language school. Some schools seem to have a link with specific banks. However, I am not sure if the bank account can also be created for people at the school who are not on the ED visa.

7 minutes ago, JimmyTobacco said:

I was foolish enough to apply for a residence certificate with the sole purpose of making a bank account, and I am still awaiting that one, so I am not sure if that residence certificate will be valid for the DL as well, or if I need to apply for a new one that states the purpose of the DL. At the immigration office they told me that a RC needs to be made again for every different purpose, but that might not be entirely correct.

Correct, the COR addresses the purpose of its use.
My IO request a letter from the bank, DLT, or vehicle dealership, requesting the COR in the first instance.

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Correct, the COR addresses the purpose of its use.
My IO request a letter from the bank, DLT, or vehicle dealership, requesting the COR in the first instance.

It is funny that my IO did not request a letter from the bank, but when I mentioned wanting to buy a motorbike, they asked for the purchase deed of the motorbike. Since I didn't have one, they told me I could only get the COR for the bank.

I also asked the IO in CM if an expedited procedure for the COR is possible, but they told me no. The only possibility was to have the COR sent to me, at the earliest 10 business days after the request.

It seems a bit weird that one might need to apply a couple of times for essentially the same document and has to wait 10 business days every time, especially if it involves something that might require some urgency. Say I want to buy a motorbike off Marketplace and need to close the deal.

12 minutes ago, JimmyTobacco said:

It is funny that my IO did not request a letter from the bank, but when I mentioned wanting to buy a motorbike, they asked for the purchase deed of the motorbike. Since I didn't have one, they told me I could only get the COR for the bank.

A letter from the dealership with the motorcycle particulars would suffice.

13 minutes ago, JimmyTobacco said:

It seems a bit weird that one might need to apply a couple of times for essentially the same document and has to wait 10 business days every time, especially if it involves something that might require some urgency. Say I want to buy a motorbike off Marketplace and need to close the deal.

Usually available on the day for a fee.

Dealerships need the COR to register your name, address etc, in the logbook.

You could probably purchase a motorcycle off marketplace, but you'd then need the COR to register it in your name.

Long term, maybe aim at obtaining a Yellow Tabien Baan + ID card.

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

A letter from the dealership with the motorcycle particulars would suffice.

Usually available on the day for a fee.

Dealerships need the COR to register your name, address etc, in the logbook.

You could probably purchase a motorcycle off marketplace, but you'd then need the COR to register it in your name.

Long term, maybe aim at obtaining a Yellow Tabien Baan + ID card.

At the IO in CM they told me that there was no option to pay extra to get the COR immediately. I read everywhere I could get it the next day for 500THB, but they told me it's not possible.

I'm lucky to have my Thai gf here, so if I need to purchase a motorbike, we can first put it in her name and then look at putting it in my name later.

I am also looking into the Tabien Baan and (pink?) ID card. Is this possible on a DTV without being a tax resident? (so staying less than 180 days per year)

25 minutes ago, JimmyTobacco said:

I am also looking into the Tabien Baan and (pink?) ID card. Is this possible on a DTV without being a tax resident? (so staying less than 180 days per year)

You'd have to enquire at your local Amphoe what their requirements were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyTobacco said:

At the IO in CM they told me that there was no option to pay extra to get the COR immediately. I read everywhere I could get it the next day for 500THB, but they told me it's not possible.

You might need to contact a visa agent for the expedited service. I don't know about Chiang Mai specifically, but some IOs are more reluctant than others to accept bribes from walk-in foreigners directly. There's always a risk that someone who's later unhappy that่ they had to pay 500 baht will write a nasty Google review besmirching the otherwise stellar reputation of Thai immigration.