Is Thailand set for another era of bureaucratic reform under Thaksin’s influence?

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand’s bureaucracy has been frozen in time for over 20 years, with the last real reforms coming around 2002 under the government of Thaksin Shinawatra.

Now, with Thaksin back from self-exile and his Pheu Thai Party back in power, the government appears poised to shake up the bureaucratic structure once more.

“With no major overhauls, our current bureaucratic structure is pretty much the same as in 1932 [the year of the Siamese Revolution],” said Olarn Thinbangtieo, deputy dean of Burapha University’s Faculty of Political Science and Law.

The Siamese Revolution brought the end of absolute monarchy in favor of a constitutional monarchy and democratic government.

Thailand’s bureaucratic system

Although Thailand has developed its bureaucratic system over time, the country is still considered a bureaucratic polity in which the civil service rivals the elected government in terms of power.

Anand Panyarachun was the first prime minister to challenge that status quo with his bureaucratic reforms of 1991.

Full story: THai PBS 2024-05-30

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Ole paddle face is looking quite spritely for someone with serious health issues. 

He has the best doctors on the planet

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

35 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Optional health issues

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Good to see that the paroled cum-convict is under police surveillance during his tours although I am concerned about the impartiality of the senior police officer tugging his forelock. (Refer to OP image)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Now, with Thaksin back from self-exile and his Pheu Thai Party back in power, the government appears poised to shake up the bureaucratic structure once more.

It has already begun by farang income tax plan. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

It has already begun by farang income tax plan. 

10 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Rubbish🤔
aimed who ever got enough to pay tax,
Thai & farang. 

It was already in the place long before Thaksin returned.

It is aimed at rich Thais who were hiding their 'earnings' overseas and then getting around the tax with a delay of a one year.

They just removed the free from tax after one year rule.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

who were hiding their 'earnings' overseas and then getting around the tax with a delay of a one year.

They already have solution for it. If it's a fat income then their lawyers will show them the way. Problems are always for small fish. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Madgee said:

Rubbish.
The change of 'income tax' was not aimed at foreigners. 

I hope you are right 🤞

will see how "rubbish" it will be, but for now this is what you guess. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

It was already in the place long before Thaksin returned.

Do you really think Taksin return was accepted a day before his return ?!! Or there was a long negotiation before his return even comes to news ? And not just about a month or a few months before. 

Edited by The Theory

I hope so....I cannot understand why I only need two copies of everything, plus originals, for immigration......sure three should be the absolute minimum?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Galong said:

None of my Thai friends know anything about it, but all of my expat friends certainly do. 'On paper' it might not openly say it's directed at foreigners, but as someone who lived here during Thaksin's reign, I'm pretty sure his dislike for foreigners had some influence on the puppet. 

As a resident in Thailand for the past 22 years may I ask examples of Thaksins dislike for foreigners ? When he was in power all the overseas exchange rates were going great, ENG pound 85 baht, US dollar 45 baht, AU dollar 33.5. A a self funded retiree with a Thai wife that's all that worries me. Everything else is business for Thais.

• Confused 1