20 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Well actually young fella, it on theirs as they tell me. But no mind, its conveneince rather than a necsssity, when I go to the USA next moth Ill just grab a a few thousand cash to fatten up my Asian accounte and save the fees

Seems like a reasonably smart move for you 👍🏼

2 hours ago, superal said:

I do know a couple of ex-pats in that situation living in Thailand with their Thai wife and children  .

Then I stick with my adjective...Stupid!

• Sad 6

1 minute ago, nrasmussen said:

Perhaps your own quote answers your question: I.e., the amount of THB needs to be already in Thailand to cover your transfer and, if not, they will have to delay until they have enough THB locally to put into your account.

I haven't actually asked a question, however I do believe that there's a possibility that you're right. There is one clue that I've picked up on over the years which is that delays to payouts seen to occur around Thai holiday periods when business and hence in-payments slow down.

4 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Seems like a reasonably smart move for you 👍🏼

Lucky for me I can do it. Sucks to be those who cant and whose Wise starts glitching

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

You don't think people should be able to rely on this then?

Wise 2.jpg

You really don't understand what they are telling you, do you 🤣

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Last time I used Wise it popped up some message like "my account was associated with micro-transactions" and it took 5 days to send following some verification. First time that ever happened and not sure if it will happen again. Same bank I always used so I don't know what's up. Maybe they're doing some changes to the system right now.

8 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Last time I used Wise it popped up some message like "my account was associated with micro-transactions" and it took 5 days to send following some verification. First time that ever happened and not sure if it will happen again. Same bank I always used so I don't know what's up. Maybe they're doing some changes to the system right now.

Same here.  

Was never a delay problem until WISE partnered with PLAID.  What previously took a day now takes a week due to my account having been verified via micro-transactions.

WISE recently informed me that I could speed up my transfers by going into the settings of my account and obtaining "instant verification" for my credit union account.  It appears that this is a process whereby WISE/PLAID will re-direct you to the log-in page of your bank/credit union and record your log-in for verification purposes.  I have no intention of sharing my bank/credit union's log-in credentials with another entity so that's a non-starter for me.  

• Like 2

Don't understand some of these posts. I keep a reasonable GBP balance in my Wise account, topping up when needed from my UK bank.

Then during the month I convert to THB when the rate is good, I have a notification pops up when it goes above my pre-set limit making sure that the is sufficient for my Immigration needs.

Then on 1st of each month I send THB to my Bangkok Bank costing Bht 31.70, as long term stay, and it arrives the next day at about 2 o clock.

I was recently in Dubai/Bahrain and used only my Wise card for all transactions, worked perfectly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:

I have no intention of sharing my bank/credit union's log-in credentials with another entity so that's a non-starter for me.  

Then you will NOT get Instant Verification, and your transfers could be delayed. Up to you!

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

some of us dont want to leave money sitting in Wise

Where do you leave your money which you could need quickly then?

Yes, I have other UK bank accounts from which I can transfer almost immediately to Wise or Revolut, or anywhere. Wise just makes it easier FOR ME.

Edited by KannikaP

1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:

Was never a delay problem until WISE partnered with PLAID.  What previously took a day now takes a week due to my account having been verified via micro-transactions.

WISE recently informed me that I could speed up my transfers by going into the settings of my account and obtaining "instant verification" for my credit union account.  It appears that this is a process whereby WISE/PLAID will re-direct you to the log-in page of your bank/credit union and record your log-in for verification purposes.  I have no intention of sharing my bank/credit union's log-in credentials with another entity so that's a non-starter for me.  

interesting thanks for sharing. Why do they need to reverify the account via micro transactions? They already verified the account when I started using wise like 4 years ago!  Great, so now we need to wait 7 days up from seconds. That's an appalling regression of service.

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Where do you leave your money which you could need quickly then?

Yes, I have other UK bank accounts from which I can transfer almost immediately to Wise or Revolut, or anywhere. Wise just makes it easier FOR ME.

Well that was the issue that started me in Wise years ago, the need for fast transfers into my Thai Bank account.

I havent really figured out yet what to do. I dont even have an active Wise card until I return to the USA next month. Meanwhile, my Cambodian account is flush and I dont require more than 150-250000 B in my Thai account because thats just for GoGo girl fees at this time. With the exception of a few offshore things I dont mess with, all my money is in the USA. I may open a Schwab account as their ATM withdrawels overseas are free.

My kid, who lives overseas has some gig going with her Swiss Bank account that is similar to Wise, I may have her put my name on it, then I can spend her money.

Its just a PITA when you do things one way for 10 plus years to suddenly have to change. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

interesting thanks for sharing. Why do they need to reverify the account via micro transactions? They already verified the account when I started using wise like 4 years ago!  Great, so now we need to wait 7 days up from seconds. That's an appalling regression of service.

Thats what I have been whining to them about for 5 months now. In my case, almost 10 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

I may open a Schwab account as their ATM withdrawels overseas are free.

It all depends on whether you need the transfers/withdrawals to THB to be shown as Foreign Transfers for Immigration purposes, which I, and many others, do.

Wise to Bkk Bank always shows as FTT if you click 'for long term stay in Thailand' so Mr IO is happy.

Posted (edited)

On Trustpilot Wise reviews are quite good, the reviews are mostly positive, not too bad as a transfer service for cost and efficiency one could say.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/wise.com

Wise tfer 1000gbp

image.png.4a1478460c4c524ec9c660890383e14d.png

An alternate is Remitly, equally good service and positive reviews.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/remitly.com

Remitly tfer 1000gbp

image.png.47abd3fdd87f3e45421af31d3c79cd56.png

Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Thats what I have been whining to them about for 5 months now. In my case, almost 10 years.

they started doing this to you too 5 months ago? Mine just started and if it goes on it's going to get boring fast.

• Like 2

Just now, NorthernRyland said:

they started doing this to you too 5 months ago? Mine just started and if it goes on it's going to get boring fast.

Things started slowing down and I tried repeatedly to use their systems to"verify" the accounts they had withdrawn thousands of dollars from.

Their customer service is atrocious.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Their customer service is atrocious.

Banking is highly secret and I'm sure they are doing some checks. The service is only atrocious when a customer experiences some kind worry when their transfer is delayed. Fortunately there are alternatives.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Well actually young fella, it on theirs as they tell me. But no mind, its conveneince rather than a necsssity, when I go to the USA next moth Ill just grab a a few thousand cash to fatten up my Asian accounte and save the fees

American banks, American spelling? Very confusing🤣

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if all this had something to do with the new tax law. More bookkeeping on the Thai side

Nothing to do with it.  I did two transfers last month, same speed as always.