Learning Thai in three months

MalcolmB

Hi, I was directed here from the Visa section.

I am getting married later this year and would like to be able to do a speech in Thai.

I have just started learning the thai alphabet, chicken, egg, bottle, buffalo etc.

Any good tips about how to learn quickly. Online courses etc. My girlfriend speaks good English so I am lucky there, she will help me.

It should take about 3-6 months I think. 

• Haha 2

I would say if your young it isn’t to difficult to learn. If you’re old then the new iPhones have a translator built in. That would be a lot easier 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, thrilled said:

I would say if your young it isn’t to difficult to learn. If you’re old then the new iPhones have a translator built in. That would be a lot easier 

I don’t think a translator would cut it.

i want to be able to hear what is being said, and social events etc

I've used the services like Thaipod101 and Pimsleur. YT resource. I may be too old to absorb the ability to effectively read in any major capacity.

Having learned Chinese, Korean (fluently) and German, its just practice and memorizing and tuning into how people speak. Eventually, you'll pick it up.

Posted (edited)

@MalcolmB you are to be commended, your heart is in the right place.

Unfortunately this is doomed to failure - as @Smokin Joe points out no Thais will understand you.  Really. You are going to stress yourself out for nothing; I tried this and in the first sentence or two I went off-road and it was trash from that point on.

Your girlfriend most likely has a Thai friend with decent English language (preferably speaking and reading). Let her give it. Spend an evening going over this with her (you may have to pay a bar fine)  Damn, I wish I had done this ...

Edited by Tookea
add let her give it
  • Sad 1

Failure is not an option.

If other people can do it I can to.

I am already up to กขคฆงจฉ

My NZ mate says you will fail if you do not learn the alphabet first.

Maybe that is where you went wrong.

Ps i assume there is no keyboard key for the bottle and the person as they are not used anymore?

I say just get up and wing-it with no preparation at all. It'll be from the heart, and more adventurous. Catch everyone off guard as you rise to your feet and start speaking in tongues. Everything will turn out fine...trust me.:mad:

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

Ps i assume there is no keyboard key for the bottle and the person as they are not used anymore?

My dual language keyboard has both of the obsolete consonants on it (Bottle -  and  Person -  ).

KK.png.18fffedada03096dde692fa424f768fa.png

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Start learning the words you will use the most, such as:
- How much sin-sod will I need to pay for you?
- How much gold do your mother asks for marrying with you?

- How much will your family will ask on a daily base?
- In what bar you learned to speak Thinglish?
- Etc.

marvellous  i take it you did the same   ummmmmmmmmmmmm

On 5/30/2024 at 4:28 AM, MalcolmB said:

Hi, I was directed here from the Visa section.

I am getting married later this year and would like to be able to do a speech in Thai.

I have just started learning the thai alphabet, chicken, egg, bottle, buffalo etc.

Any good tips about how to learn quickly. Online courses etc. My girlfriend speaks good English so I am lucky there, she will help me.

It should take about 3-6 months I think. 

Forget it these falangs who think they can speak Thai are deluded. They are laughed at behind their backs. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

My NZ mate says you will fail if you do not learn the alphabet first.

Yes, first learn the alphabet and then the tone rules. Otherwise, getting the pronunciation correct will be difficult.

15 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Yes, first learn the alphabet and then the tone rules. Otherwise, getting the pronunciation correct will be difficult.

Got it.

i did a small speech last year at our wedding, and did it in thai.  i got a few laughs in the right places, so some of it must have been understood by some 🙂

i wrote mine down in phonetic, and read it from my paper on stage

i am not sure you need to learn how to read thai quite yet.  just write what you want to say in english, get it translated, write it in phonetic, practice it to someone and see if they can follow what you're saying.... repeat, repeat

good luck. i was really pleased i did mine, but as always, a good wedding speech is always quite short

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2024 at 2:09 PM, Smokin Joe said:

My dual language keyboard has both of the obsolete consonants on it (Bottle -  and  Person -  ).

KK.png.18fffedada03096dde692fa424f768fa.png

As does mine, but the Thai characters are on the left, not the right.

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2024 at 8:28 AM, UKJASE said:

i did a small speech last year at our wedding, and did it in thai.  i got a few laughs in the right places, so some of it must have been understood by some 🙂

i wrote mine down in phonetic, and read it from my paper on stage

i am not sure you need to learn how to read thai quite yet.  just write what you want to say in english, get it translated, write it in phonetic, practice it to someone and see if they can follow what you're saying.... repeat, repeat

good luck. i was really pleased i did mine, but as always, a good wedding speech is always quite short

Yeah thanks.

I was told it is better to learn the thai writing from the start so I am going with that.

i am up to บ now. I have also learned the basic vowels. ะา ิี ึื ุ ู

For my speech I might use the phonetics to help me though.

Good idea

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/31/2024 at 2:53 PM, Toby1947 said:

Forget it these falangs who think they can speak Thai are deluded. They are laughed at behind their backs. 

Well t least they will not be laughing in my face.