Duration of Thai driving licenses

I've got 4 years left.

I have for both bike and car, issued in 2005.

Google results say 5 years duration is normal. 

Has the duration changed? 

Or is there any way to check their validity? 

TIA

1 hour ago, Smokin Joe said:

The license expires on you birthday. When you get a new one it is valid for 5 years from your next birthday.

If you renew a few days your birthday you'll only get 5 years but renewing a few days after you will get almost 6 years.

And you must be on a permission of stay that is 90 days or longer such as a Non-O, B, ED Visa or Extension of stay for marriage or retirement.

If on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry you will only be able to get a 2 year provisional license. Even if you have already had, or have, a 5 year license.

When you get a new license the issue date will not be the date you got the new one. The issue date will be the date of your FIRST license. My license expires in 2027 and the issue date is 2005.

Thanks, Joe. Nice to know someone else has the same long duration! 👍

The date is confusing.

But right next to the "Issue Date" is the "Expiry Date" and that is the one that is important. And it's in Thai and English so it shouldn't be hard to read.

It seems the "Issue Date" is the date of issue of your last (valid) 5 year license.

My 2nd license (first 5 year) expired in Apr 2018 but for various reasons, I wasn't able to get to the DLT to renew it until Jan 2019.

That one expired in Apr 2024. I renewed it at the beginning of April and my new license says "Issue Date: Jan 2019" (and "Expiry Date: Apr 2029").

I thought they'd made a mistake and only given me a license that expired in 3 weeks but then I saw it expired in 2029 so I took off my socks and started counting and realized the license was good for 5 more years (and 3 weeks) so I put my socks back on and was on my way.

Not sure why they don't change the Issue Date to the day the new license was issued.

On 5/30/2024 at 12:10 PM, JetsetBkk said:

I've got 4 years left.

I have for both bike and car, issued in 2005.

Google results say 5 years duration is normal. 

Has the duration changed? 

Or is there any way to check their validity? 

TIA

if you have a five year license and renew after your birthday you will get six years, it says on your license when it expires so I don't really understand your question,

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The date is confusing.

But right next to the "Issue Date" is the "Expiry Date" and that is the one that is important. And it's in Thai and English so it shouldn't be hard to read.

It seems the "Issue Date" is the date of issue of your last (valid) 5 year license.

My 2nd license (first 5 year) expired in Apr 2018 but for various reasons, I wasn't able to get to the DLT to renew it until Jan 2019.

That one expired in Apr 2024. I renewed it at the beginning of April and my new license says "Issue Date: Jan 2019" (and "Expiry Date: Apr 2029").

I thought they'd made a mistake and only given me a license that expired in 3 weeks but then I saw it expired in 2029 so I took off my socks and started counting and realized the license was good for 5 more years (and 3 weeks) so I put my socks back on and was on my way.

Not sure why they don't change the Issue Date to the day the new license was issued.

It might be too logical i suggest. 

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

if you have a five year license and renew after your birthday you will get six years, it says on your license when it expires so I don't really understand your question,

His question is about the fact that the expiration date of his license "four years left" or 2028 is 23 years after the issue date of 2005.

• Agree 1

His question is about the fact that the expiration date of his license "four years left" or 2028 is 23 years after the issue date of 2005.

think he needs to post a picture of that license, never heard of anything like that

11 minutes ago, flexomike said:

think he needs to post a picture of that license, never heard of anything like that

Here is a photo of my license. Some details have been changed to protect the guilty.

Issue date: 4 August 2005

Expiry Date: 13 November 2027

The issue date is apparently the date my first 5 year license was issued and I have an unbroken string of renewals each time it was expiring. Kerry's isn't the same, but he had let his expire for 8-9 months before renewing.

So the issue date is more like a "Licensed Driver since...." date.

License.jpg.5c3ca72a4833e4814a2ea6d41ff8a96f.jpg

5 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

Here is a photo of my license. Some details have been changed to protect the guilty.

The issue date is apparently the date my first 5 year license was issued and I have an unbroken string of renewals each time it was expiring. Kerry's isn't the same, but he had let his expire for 8-9 months before renewing.

The August 2005 is the date when you were given a full licence, the other date is when it expires...

9 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

amazing, never have seen anything like that, my guess since this was your first license is that it should have been good until 2007 not 2027, unless it came from Khao San Road in Bangkok, 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

Which transport dept issued that ?

Edit: shoulda put my reading glasses on... main LTD in Chonburi !

Weird that they issued for 22 years.

In 2003 they changed from lifetime to the current 2yr temp/5yr full licence.

My first licence issued in 2005 as well and at Chonburi... was the 2yr temp licence.

Am thinking someone done goofed and that 2 before the 7 was meant to be a zero.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, flexomike said:

amazing, never have seen anything like that, my guess since this was your first license is that it should have been good until 2007 not 2027, unless it came from Khao San Road in Bangkok, 

This is my 4th or 5th license. They are only issued for 5 year validity. the one in the photo was issued after I returned post Covid

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Which transport dept issued that ?

Edit: shoulda put my reading glasses on... main LTD in Chonburi !

Weird that they issued for 22 years.

In 2003 they changed from lifetime to the current 2yr temp/5yr full licence.

My first licence issued in 2005 as well and at Chonburi... was the 2yr temp licence.

Am thinking someone done goofed and that 2 before the 7 was meant to be a zero.

It was not issued for 22 years. It was issued for 5 years. The license in the photo was issued in 2021.

My FIRST license was issued in 2005. I have always renewed on time every 5 years ( 4 or 5 times) and the issue date has remained the same.

2 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

It was not issued for 22 years. It was issued for 5 years. The license in the photo was issued in 2021.

My FIRST license was issued in 2005. I have always renewed on time every 5 years ( 4 or 5 times) and the issue date has remained the same.

Yeah....

image.png.d219a2c57800ae564db7fe5bd69fc1c4.png

• Thumbs Up 1

This is my 4th or 5th license. They are only issued for 5 year validity. the one in the photo was issued after I returned post Covid

just looked at mine and you are good to go, nothing to think about

On 6/1/2024 at 12:47 PM, Kerryd said:

The date is confusing.

Yes, you really have to remember when you last renewed it, rather than worry about "Why did they give me a license for 22 years?" 

😂