Bangkok vacation

Encee

hi members i apologise for asking this again about Bangkok accommodation as I'm sure it been asked many times... I am having a 3 week vacation in Thailand for the very first time. Recently I lost my wife and I need to get away from australia to come to grips with everything. 

I really need some help I finding a suitable hotel or accomadaion in bangkok.. I have been checking booking sites but really confused about locations. Also I am a little disabled. 75 years old. 

I am wanting to see the terminal 21 mall and take a river cruise as well as other sites in bangkok and vicinity

I'm trying to find a reasonable priced hotel or even maybe private condo I can rent for about 2 weeks. 

I need to be close to transport and the attractions with ease of getting about with all the hassles of not knowing where to go and when.. can anyone please assist me with hotel advises and also a bit of an itiniary for a 2 to 3 weeks vacation.. any assistance will be greatly appreciated... BTW I arrive on 27 June

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, susanlea said:

I wouldn't recommend Bangkok if you have mobility issues. Hua Hin might suit you better. Nice beaches, cheap rooms and relaxing city.

And Bangkok for two weeks for an elderly? (I am 67).

I would die in this jaggernaut of noise, pollution, heat, crowds ...

Walking with a stick in the burning heat?

It's good for three nights (highlights of temples and palaces) or so and with adequate transportation.

Terminal 21(s) bores me to hell. They are everywhere.

Food, food, food, 2 hours and out.

Of course there are malls worth seeing like Siam Paragon or the vulgar Central Embassy mall (porters wearing white gloves at the glass doors of the luxury brand shops, waiting room for the drivers of the high end cars in the garage).

Haven't been to the latest superhype IconSiam.

Best places to understand the extreme gap between rich and poor in the country.

Please rethink! First holiday in Thailand and sitting in Bangkok for two weeks!!!

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

57 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's good for three nights (highlights of temples and palaces) or so and with adequate transportation.

Terminal 21(s) bores me to hell. They are everywhere.

Food, food, food, 2 hours and out.

Of course there are malls worth seeing like Siam Paragon or the vulgar Central Embassy mall (porters wearing white gloves at the glass doors of the luxury brand shops, waiting room for the drivers of the high end cars in the garage).

Haven't been to the latest superhype IconSiam.

Best places to understand the extreme gap between rich and poor in the country.

Please rethink! First holiday in Thailand and sitting in Bangkok for two weeks!!!

I live in BKK and am 64, it is great. many attractions / things to do. No need for much walking, loads of taxi's. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I like Bangkok, but what do you consider "reasonable"? 

Centerpoint Terminal 21, is a nice hotel, and not too pricy, I spent a couple weeks there over Christmas and New Years a few years ago and it was great. The room had a kitchen and a washer-dryer, and connects to Terminal 21 the BTS and MRT, and easy walk to Soi Cowboy.

I also really like Novotel Siam Square, and have stayed there countless times over the years.  Great location, plenty to see and right next to BTS station Siam. 

The Landmark is nice, and an easy walk to Nana Plaza it what you really want is a gash-fest. 

I would not worry about doing tourist stuff like the dinner cruises and whatnot, because you can typically book these with transportation that will pick you up at the hotel. 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I live in BKK and am 64, it is great. many attractions / things to do. No need for much walking, loads of taxi's. 

I don't dispute that but the poster is on his first Thailand holiday and the country has more to offer than a megacity.

But who knows, tastes differ.

Lived 40 years in a crowded city and got enough.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

hello... to those of you who have taken the time to send the suggestions about my posting i thank you all so very much i really do apreciate your efforts. Now that I have read what has been suggested I have much to think about now and  i will change some of my original ideas and not spend so much time in Bangkok. One of you mentioned a place called hua hin and I looked it up on YouTube ad decided that I will indeed go there for some of the vacation.. im looking at booking. com for a good place to stay for maybe 1 week or 10 days.. Again thank you all so very much for your input. This old codger is a bit more wiser now about where in thailand.... 🤩

Edited by Encee
typing error
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, susanlea said:

I wouldn't recommend Bangkok if you have mobility issues. Hua Hin might suit you better. Nice beaches, cheap rooms and relaxing city.

But he said, specifically, that he's coming to Bangkok to see things in Bangkok, he didn't mention a need for cheap rooms or beaches.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Most of us don't die in Bangkok, Bangkok is not a juggernaut of noise and the heat is, to all intents and purposes, no worse than Thailand's  heat anywhere else.  You seem to assume that he will be walking everywhere...why?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You obviously don't like Bangkok, or maybe any big city.

That is ok, not everybody has to love the city.

But when a guy asks about visiting Bangkok then probably he wants to see Bangkok, and not Hua Hin or a village somewhere.

Maybe he also wants to see the attractions of Bangkok which are not promoted by the TAT.

I live in Bangkok, I like it, and I like Terminal 21. From all the malls this is still one for (more or less) normal people.

Hear, hear!

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But he said, specifically, that he's coming to Bangkok to see things in Bangkok, he didn't mention a need for cheap rooms or beaches.

But he did post prior to your response above that, after reading various suggestions, he will indeed definitely be visiting Hua Hin. Therefore, your response was quite unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, Encee said:

hello... to those of you who have taken the time to send the suggestions about my posting i thank you all so very much i really do apreciate your efforts. Now that I have read what has been suggested I have much to think about now and  i will change some of my original ideas and not spend so much time in Bangkok. One of you mentioned a place called hua hin and I looked it up on YouTube ad decided that I will indeed go there for some of the vacation.. im looking at booking. com for a good place to stay for maybe 1 week or 10 days.. Again thank you all so very much for your input. This old codger is a bit more wiser now about where in thailand.... 🤩

I would not book more than 1 week in Bangkok, actually less, first 3 nights.

Going to Hua Hin, hotels jack their rates up, some considerably on the weekend.  so if wanting to save a few baht, better to be there during weekdays.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You obviously don't like Bangkok, or maybe any big city.

That is ok, not everybody has to love the city.

But when a guy asks about visiting Bangkok then probably he wants to see Bangkok, and not Hua Hin or a village somewhere.

Maybe he also wants to see the attractions of Bangkok which are not promoted by the TAT.

I live in Bangkok, I like it, and I like Terminal 21. From all the malls this is still one for (more or less) normal people.

So, tell me how someone with the need of a walking stick crosses the road in any big city?

OP, if you mentioned Terminal 21 because you want to have meals there, it would be wise to stay close by.

On booking.com and also agoda.com etc., there is a facility for you to view hotels in "map view" so you can see which hotels are really close to Terminal 21. 

You can choose which one you like according to price, etc.

4 hours ago, still kicking said:

So, tell me how someone with the need of a walking stick crosses the road in any big city?

I don't know why you ask me, but let me try:

Like anybody else, i.e. zebra crossings, pedestrian bridges, etc.

How about: what is easier for a person with a walking stick, walking on a mostly flat surface or walking up country or on the beach with uneven and maybe unsteady ground? I guess walking in the city is easier.

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I ignore the couple nay sayers.  Walking stick / cane is minor, and shouldn't hold you back from getting around.   Just take care, as many walkways are not level, and easy to take a tumble if not paying attention.

If your endurance walking is OK for couple hundred meters, you won't have any real issues.  

T21 is OK, decent food court, and some chain restaurants (non fast food) Sunrise Taco for example.  Or a Whopper if your preference, and Wing Zap (spicy wings) from KFC compliment any munchy fix.

Definitely pop into ICONSIAM, for a much better mall experience.  the indoor 'floating market' is better than most outdoor tourist attractions of the same genre.  

River cruise/taxi is nice.  Now have E-MV w/AC, a bit more comfy.   Get one that stops at pier N10, present name Prannok, used to Wang Lang, even something else.   Point is, Wang Lang market is short stroll away.

May interest, and has some AC restaurants there also, if the heat gets to you.

On that, it is rainy season, so expect some, some sunshine (hot) and some nice overcast skies.   No air pollution as previously mentioned, except local traffic on walkways next to busy streets.

Stay out of public trans; taxis, rail bus during rush hour.  Might want to use the after dinner time for lounging around pool, reflecting.

Booking.com is one of the best booking sites, for info and decent rates.  DO NOT BOOK TOO MUCH IN ADVANCE.   Personally, I wouldn't book more than first 3 nights, then go on the fly from there.   3 weeks is a very long time for 1 destination.

Knocking around town is easy, use Google maps, and get to know it.  Besides BTS/MRT don't discount the bus system.  I use it quite a lot when at Bangkok.  Will get you closer to some places.

Decide what you want to see; iconic places, of just knocking around town.  River cruise is nice, especially if cruising by Wat Arun at sunset, great photo opt, though rainy season may affect that.

Any type of budget, and ฿2000 a night will get you a comfy place, w/pool and maybe nice brekkie, if a breakfast person.   I'm not, so usually don't get.  You can stay for less ฿1000+/-, though you get what you pay for.   If plan on being out most of the day, not a pool person, you can definitely save some baht, if wanting.

I would stay near the river myself, unless wanting adult nightlife.  Also the iconic sites are closer to the river.  Staying either side of the river isn't a problem as ferries are frequent.

If planning on using BTS/MRT (rail lines) quite a bit, get a top up/debit card for each, so no Q'ing for change or tokens.  Worth the small charge for the card, in wait or hassles with Qs.  Top up as you think you'll need so no excess when you depart on card.  And give to someone if there is, they'll appreciate it, as not an inexpensive means of transport for the working stiffs.  MRT has senior discount (1/2 price) so ask for that.  

A couple not iconic places you might want to knock around at;  Ko Kret/Pak Kret/Chit Beer for some suds, open weekends only, and nice little island to explore.

A canal market; Khlong Bang Luang Floating Market

If you get bored with Bangkok, maybe pop over to Kanchanburi or down to Hua Hin.

Nice effort, helpful.

• Thanks 1

Miami Hotel -10 minutes walk to Terminal 21. 5 minute walk to the SkyTrain. Too many restaurants to pick from 2 minutes away (partic if you like Indian).

Older property seen in a couple of films, great value. Great staff who will chat with an older solo traveler.

• Like 1

The skytrain  and BTS (underground) systems are comprehensive, modern and easy to use, they are also inexpensive. Buy a one, two or three day pass (cheap) and just ride around and see everything, their aircon and the Skytrain is all above ground so it's perfect for a first timer.

Another good sight seeing tipe is the passenger ferries on the river that runs through the city. Start at one end of the circuit and stay on until the other end, then turn round and do it again, jumping off when ever you want to...stops are frequent.

I would avoid tuk tuks and taxi's for the most part, if I were you because there are often too many scams or high charges.

There's a million hotels to chose from, depends where you want to be and your price range. 2k to 3k baht will get you a 4 or 5 star with breakfast, you can also spend a lot more or a lot less, depending on your budget. Mostly it depends on the area you want to stay in. Many tourists opt to be in the entertainment areas such as Lower Sukhumvit but don't be afraid to venture outside of there. I personally like Asok which is right at Terminal 21 and is also a major BTS/skytrain interchange point. Furamax at Asok is sensibly priced, in a great location and is a nice hotel.

If you visit the bars, you may want to pay for drinks as you go, rather than keep a tab, be aware that buying drinks for the girls can get pricey.

Suggest you visit Centralworld at least once and explore the massive shopping complex, the food courts on the top floor are excellent.

Enjoy yourself.

Itinerary-wise, I'd toss in a few days in Old City Chiang Mai and a trip to the beach. I favor Koh Samui. To me, Hua Hin was Hua-Dull.

'Lost my wife way back when and came to Thailand for healing. This place will uplift you.

If you make it up to Chiang Mai, toss me a message and I'll take you out for some 99 baht Khao Soi noodles.

• Love It 1

12 hours ago, Encee said:

Have a look at Kanchanaburi, Chiang Mai also. Usually tourists don't spend more than 5 days in Bangkok.

I like Hua Hin, but not as a tourist destination. 

First timers (I think) should hit Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya. 

These are the places most people are going to ask if you've been when you tell them you went to Thailand. 

Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya are both nice day trips from Bangkok. 

I am in Ayutthaya right now and it's def a bit of a dull dump, outside the ruins.

And that's staying at a 5* SALA hotel. Nice giant river prawns. Must to avoid.

Another suggestion is to stay near an English/Irish pub in Bangkok, partic as an older, solo traveler. It's good to have a check-in spot and they will tend to have some social stuff like quiz nights.

The one 2 minutes away from The Miami Hotel is exemplary. You can even order in an English-style curry from the place next door.

I have a lot of 5* restaurants to check off my list during this Bangkok go-round, but I will def make room for a Madras curry and a Guinness at the bar.

18 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Another suggestion is to stay near an English/Irish pub in Bangkok, partic as an older, solo traveler. It's good to have a check-in spot and they will tend to have some social stuff like quiz nights.

The one 2 minutes away from The Miami Hotel is exemplary. You can even order in an English-style curry from the place next door.

I have a lot of 5* restaurants to check off my list during this Bangkok go-round, but I will def make room for a Madras curry and a Guinness at the bar.

Guess it really depends why one travels internationally for vacation.  Myself, to explore what's there that is not in my home country.  Thai/Asian food, diverse landscape, cultural difference

For me it would be a waste of time & money to have the vacation revolve around what I can have & experience in home country.

Living here is a bit different, though certainly don't need to go out for home country fare, as can do in house.  Though nice to just get out of.

Does seem most of the vocal members travel for a different location, just to eat Brit/Indian food, cheaper beer & sex.   Hence the popularity of Patts, Patong/Bangla, Nana, Soi Cowboy, Silom Sor 4.

On 5/31/2024 at 3:45 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Indeed,  I am 72 soon live in Isarn and spend 6 weeks a year in Bangkok. I have no issue going up and down the stairs of Nana Plaza, and rarely go back to my hotel alone.

OP if you don't want to spend too much you could look at this hotel.