Thousands March Through London Streets Waving British and English Flags

English people waving the English flag in public?

The horror!!!

I hope they were arrested, or at the very least given a Palestinian flag to wave by the Police. 

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2024 at 11:42 AM, RuamRudy said:

Fair enough - personally, I don't see that celebrating your heritage is taking credit for it; more, to me it's being in awe of it and, I suppose, being a little bit proud that you descend from that stock. Vain and pointless, possibly, but as long as it's not of the supremacist type of nationalism, essentially harmless.

I did notice that on a certain contentious issues, lots of members here adhering to a particular stance, claimed that "we beat the Germans" and stuff to that effect. Or that certain other nations were ungrateful to the UK for what 'we" did.

Posts contravening our forum community standards have been removed along with replies. Please remain on topic without sluring members with personal attacks.

Thousands March Through London Streets Waving British and English Flags

On 6/3/2024 at 8:13 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Why sarcastic? Be grateful for a nation based on Christianity. It could have been one of the other hundreds that are not helpful for the common man.

It had to be a religion as that was a common denominator of past times.

Christianity was helpful for the common man.? Really? For most of its history it had no problem with slavery, serfdom, and rule by kings and aristocracies. Civil society had to rid itself of these institutions in order for progress to be made.  It was actually the weakening by the Renaissance and the Enlightenment of the hold that Christianity had in the West. that benefitted common folk.

• Agree 1

On 6/3/2024 at 8:29 PM, James105 said:

One day the left will wake up in the totalitarian state they helped create where being gay is once again illegal and women are once again second class citizens. 

I believe the term used by leaders of totalitarian movements refer to them as "useful fools". Once they have achieved their purpose usually eliminated, far as I know.

However, I doubt any state such as you describe will happen in Britain. It's too diverse now. IMO only possible in places like Afghanistan where they were never liberated in the first place.

On 6/4/2024 at 8:31 PM, JonnyF said:

English people waving the English flag in public?

The horror!!!

I hope they were arrested, or at the very least given a Palestinian flag to wave by the Police. 

This forum occasionally gets surreal. On some subjects I would agree with you 100% and on others we are coming from 100% opposing viewpoints.

On 6/3/2024 at 7:19 AM, JayClay said:

Again. People taking "pride" in winning the birth-place lottery. There's nothing to be proud of. It didn't involve making a smart decision, it wasn't the result of hard work and dedication. We just pop out of whoever made us, wherever that person happens to be at the time.

On 6/3/2024 at 7:39 AM, stoner said:

tell that to the fastest swimmer. 

The fastest swimmer chose where they were going to be born? How did they manage that?

24 minutes ago, JayClay said:

The fastest swimmer chose where they were going to be born? How did they manage that?

How did you manage to miss the point that much.