Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Well I assume they accepted it, as my payments did not get interrupted!

I think I filled in my SSN where it days SSN (despite the "for SSA use only) and under remarks, explained that I did nto receive the form.

I'm going to the use next month. Plan to give it until a few days before my departure then if still nto received, download it.

Thank you very much Sheryl I may do the same if I don’t get one in a couple weeks and mail one from Thailand and another while I’m in the U.S. in August This takes a load off my mind Thank you 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, jerryonjay said:

Thank you very much Sheryl I may do the same if I don’t get one in a couple weeks and mail one from Thailand and another while I’m in the U.S. in August This takes a load off my mind Thank you 

I’ll let you know if I get one and please do the same Last year I sent with tracking and they never received it ! US mail is awful . They need to do this online It’s crazy again thank you 

• Agree 1

HELP HELP HELP!!!!! I just received my 7162 for 2024 and my 7162 form is 3 pages for the first time this year (with all the privacy stuff now on a separate “page 3”). Of course the instructions don’t say whether to send back just the 1 page double sided signed form (pages 1 and 2) or to also send back the page “3 of 3“ which is just privacy stuff. What is everyone doing? I assume this is all automated with machines when SS receives them, so don’t want to screw it up. Super appreciate knowing what you guys are doing. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, MJoe said:

HELP HELP HELP!!!!! I just received my 7162 for 2024 and my 7162 form is 3 pages for the first time this year (with all the privacy stuff now on a separate “page 3”). Of course the instructions don’t say whether to send back just the 1 page double sided signed form (pages 1 and 2) or to also send back the page “3 of 3“ which is just privacy stuff. What is everyone doing? I assume this is all automated with machines when SS receives them, so don’t want to screw it up. Super appreciate knowing what you guys are doing. Thanks!

Just send back pages 1&2 (i.e., the double side form that you mark and sign on); no need to send back the instructions page  as that's purely to give you guidance on how to complete and return the form.   But if you do send back the instructions page also I'm sure Wilkes Barre will have a big trashcan full of instructions pages sent back.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

Just send back pages 1&2 (i.e., the double side form that you mark and sign on); no need to send back the instructions page  as that's purely to give you guidance on how to complete and return the form.   But if you do send back the instructions page also I'm sure Wilkes Barre will have a big trashcan full of instructions pages sent back.

Thanks for the reply.  The problem is, for the first time the actual 7162 they have sent is 3 pages - the Privacy Information that used to be on Page 1 is on a page 3.  (The instructions are still on a different page - and I never send the instructions back.).  So this “page 3 of 3” with the Privacy Information is technically part of the actual 7162 form.  So should I send it back?  Thanks for your help!

6 hours ago, MJoe said:

Thanks for the reply.  The problem is, for the first time the actual 7162 they have sent is 3 pages - the Privacy Information that used to be on Page 1 is on a page 3.  (The instructions are still on a different page - and I never send the instructions back.).  So this “page 3 of 3” with the Privacy Information is technically part of the actual 7162 form.  So should I send it back?  Thanks for your help!

No.  You do not need to send back the instructions page (page 3). 

But you seem very concerned about not sending back the instructions page so for your peace of mind include it....however, SSA will just discard/trashcan that instructions page when they open your envelope at Wilkes Barre.

On 6/26/2024 at 3:05 PM, Sheryl said:

Yes, never got it last year.  Downloaded form myself and mailed it while in US.

Looks like may need to do the same this year.

Incredible that in this day & age both IRS and SSA insist on using snail mail to communicate. Especially with people living abroad.

Mail in my area is slow snd hit-or-miss but that is not unique for rural Thailand. For that matter, mail service within US has deteriorated. 

On 6/26/2024 at 4:20 PM, jerryonjay said:

I see you can download the form online . Did they accept yours without the barcode ?

I've been looking but haven't got mine either.  If it doesn't show up by the first week of July I'll send out a copy I made last year.  I keep copies of my previous year's SSA Form 7162 they sent me just for this eventuality.  All filled out with my SSN and a barcode.  But I'll give it another week.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 7:10 AM, KhunLA said:

Just picked mine up from the PO Box, as out of town for a couple weeks, and It may have been there since 1st of June, as I check the box once a month, at beginning of the month.

Last one I sent in (2023), I did an address change, and apparently that was ignored.   That's why I keep the PO Box, as all mail is suppose to go to the house, which we have good service at.

If you did an address change, and haven't received yet, that could be why.   I'll be sending 2 or 3 copies of current 7162 back, snail mail, with an attached notice of address change.   See if they can get it right for next year.  Doubtful :coffee1:

How did you notify SS of your address change?

Previously SS changed my address automatically when I used a new address on IRS form 1040. Now with ID.me I can log in to mySSA account to change address.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 163033.png

Edited by Thailand J
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Previously SS changed my address automatically when I used a new address on IRS form 1040. Now with ID.me I can log in to mySSA account to change address.

Well, this is a change.  Before if you had an "international" address onfile with SSA you could "not" change if via your MySSA online acct.   But if you had a U.S. address you could change/update your address.  Ditto for changing other things like your bank acct.  And I'm not talking years ago...I'm talking like well within 1 year ago.  

I logged onto MySSA acct just now to see if I could change/update my Thailand address "now"....and sure enough I could get to the screen like you show above.  Before I would just get a notice to contact my regional/local SSA office to make the change.  Now I have no need to update my address....but I just wanted to confirm I could get to where you are now getting to....and I could.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

Add the new address to the 7162 where it askes if address has changed.   Tried the SSA site, unsuccessfully and also with IDme

Even called the supplied ph# and every time, it's 20 minutes on hold, then disconnected.   If they don't notice this one, I'll change it via Manila.

I don't file tax returns, contrary to popular belief, I'm too poor ... :cheesy:

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Add the new address to the 7162 where it askes if address has changed.   Tried the SSA site, unsuccessfully and also with IDme

Even called the supplied ph# and every time, it's 20 minutes on hold, then disconnected.   If they don't notice this one, I'll change it via Manila.

When did you last log onto your MySSA acct (whether the original way, ID.me, or Login.gov) to see if you can now update you address online?

Apparently the ability to update your address and other personal details on your MySSA acct for those of us with an international/Thailand address onfile has "recently" changed.   Before only those with a U.S. address onfile with SSA could do an online update.

Like I mentioned in my post I was surprised when I logged on 30 minutes ago to see if I could now update my address with MySSA acct and I could...I would get the prompt/image like ThailandJ showed.  "Before"...for years now....I would just get a message that I needed to contact my regional/local SSA office.

Now I logged on thru Login.gov since I transitioned from using the original SSA User ID method that is going away soon....SSA telling people to transition to using Login.gov or ID.Me portals.   You are still logging into your MySSA acct it just you first go thru the Login.gov or ID.me portal to verify you MySSA logon credentials.

Maybe if you logged on via the original SSA User ID method that prevents you from updating your address.  Or maybe SSA just hasn't got around to updating "all" MySSA acct to allow address and other updates for those of us with an international address already onfile.   Try via Login.gov or ID.me. 

As talked in the related SSA thread about the SSA soon to shutdown the original SSA User ID method and people will need to use Login.gov or ID.me portals instead.   They still start the logon at the MySSA website but click Login.gov or ID.me to enter their login credentials.  If a person does not have a Login.gov acct they can easily/quickly transition to having a basic Login.gov acct for MySSA logon "without" going thru the full blown identity verification....instead, just follow the transition to Login.gov instructions that is now presented at the tail end of anyone still using the original SSA User ID logon method.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

When did you last log onto your MySSA acct (whether the original way, ID.me, or Login.gov) to see if you can now update you address online?

Apparently the ability to update your address and other personal details on your MySSA acct for those of us with an international/Thailand address onfile has "recently" changed.   Before only those with a U.S. address onfile with SSA could do an online update.

Like I mentioned in my post I was surprised when I logged on 30 minutes ago to see if I could now update my address with MySSA acct and I could...I would get the prompt/image like ThailandJ showed.  "Before"...for years now....I would just get a message that I needed to contact my regional/local SSA office.

Now I logged on thru Login.gov since I transitioned from using the original SSA User ID method that is going away soon....SSA telling people to transition to using Login.gov or ID.Me portals.   You are still logging into your MySSA acct it just you first go thru the Login.gov or ID.me portal to verify you MySSA logon credentials.

Maybe if you logged on via the original SSA User ID method that prevents you from updating your address.  Or maybe SSA just hasn't got around to updating "all" MySSA acct to allow address and other updates for those of us with an international address already onfile.   Try via Login.gov or ID.me. 

As talked in the related SSA thread about the SSA soon to shutdown the original SSA User ID method and people will need to use Login.gov or ID.me portals instead.   They still start the logon at the MySSA website but click Login.gov or ID.me to enter their login credentials.  If a person does not have a Login.gov acct they can easily/quickly transition to having a basic Login.gov acct for MySSA logon "without" going thru the full blown identity verification....instead, just follow the transition to Login.gov instructions that is now presented at the tail end of anyone still using the original SSA User ID logon method.

I've yet to be able to open an account on MySSA, and failed in every attempt to.   Gave up, as don't really need.  As long as SS keeps coming every month, there's nothing I need from them, I don't think.

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I've yet to be able to open an account on MySSA, and failed in every attempt to.   Gave up, as don't really need.  As long as SS keeps coming every month, there's nothing I need from them, I don't think.

OK...where you earlier said "...you tried the SSA site..." I thought you meant logging onto your MySSA acct versus trying to open one.  

I would recommend you accomplish ID.me identify verification and then you can create a MySSA acct.   ID.me is flexible/not hard to get verified on....basically you just need a passport or state ID along with a few other docs you will have.  You'll probably need to also do the online video chat with them....it pretty easy on their system. 

I know you said you tried ID.me before....but if you got to the point where they still needed to do a video chat after you had upload requested docs where they just want to see you real time, ask you a few questions and have them take a snapshot of your while you hold your passport next to your face  but you never followed thru with the video chat then yes, that will result in failure with ID.me verification.

Now Login.gov doesn't allow/accept passports yet to accomplish a full blown identify verification....and I don't think they do video chats/verification either like ID.me  will do.   Typical "government" organization that's behind the times/commercial companies in being able to do full identify verifications.  

Edited by Pib

24 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK...where you earlier said "...you tried the SSA site..." I thought you meant logging onto your MySSA acct versus trying to open one.  

I would recommend you accomplish ID.me identify verification and then you can create a MySSA acct.   ID.me is flexible/not hard to get verified on....basically you just need a passport or state ID along with a few other docs you will have.  You'll probably need to also do the online video chat with them....it pretty easy on their system. 

I know you said you tried ID.me before....but if you got to the point where they still needed to do a video chat after you had upload requested docs where they just want to see you real time, ask you a few questions and have them take a snapshot of your while you hold your passport next to your face  but you never followed thru with the video chat then yes, that will result in failure with ID.me verification.

Now Login.gov doesn't allow/accept passports yet to accomplish a full blown identify verification....and I don't think they do video chats/verification either like ID.me  will do.   Typical "government" organization that's behind the times/commercial companies in being able to do full identify verifications.  

Did that, the IDme thing, approved by them, but failed to use and accepted at SSA.  

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Did that, the IDme thing, approved by them, but failed to use and accepted at SSA.  

What do you mean by "failed to use"?

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Where you say "....if they don't notice this one, I'll change it via Manila...", how are you going to determine if they notice?  Going to wait to see if the 7162 for next year shows the address?   

Heck, I would just go to the Manila SSA website and update it now as talked earlier.....just takes a few minutes to enter you name, address, SSN, email, DOB, and some other bits of info.....hit Submit....and then 2 to 4 weeks later you'll get an email from Manila saying updated as requested....maybe sooner if you are lucky.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 4:20 PM, jerryonjay said:

I see you can download the form online . Did they accept yours without the barcode ? And I suppose you wrote in your Social Security number under " Remarks " ? or in the section that says " for SSA use only " ? Many thanks !!   If I don't get mine in the next 30 days I will download myself and mail from the Us when Im there in August . Last year I mailed with tracking . They never received it 

Well, they still may have received it because once "registered" international mail enters the U.S.  further tracking updates may stop simply because the USPS is not always scanning the international registered mail tracking number as it moves thru the US Postal System.    The mail still arrives the intended address but it's just tracking shows it going MIA...tracking updates just stop.      

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

What do you mean by "failed to use"?

I forget exactly what happen, but it wouldn't accept IDme's identity verification.    Probably something along the lines of 'unrecognized / log in failed, call Ph# for assistance',   which as stated, phoning always failed.

I tried a few time, different days/times, incase the system was just having a hissy fit, failed each time.  Gave up.

Just logged in to IDme, see a link to connect to SSA.  Maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow.

🤞🤞

On 6/26/2024 at 3:00 PM, Pib said:

Just as FYI, depending on your address, age, and type of benefit you may not receive a 7161/7162 "every" year as a person can be on a biennial (i.e., every 2 years) vs annual schedule.   If on a biennial schedule the SSA only mails you a 7162 every other year depending on the last two digits of your SSN or the last two digits of the person's SSN the pension is earned from.

Like for a person with a Thailand address receiving a "spousal retirement benefit"  the SSA is only going to mail that person a 7162 every other year unless that person is 90 years old or older.   A spousal retirement benefit is when that spouse did not work for 10 years to accumulate enough SSA credits (i.e., at least 40 credits) to earn a pension based on their own earning record...but instead receives a SSA pension based on the earning record of another person who is typically their spouse.  Like my wife that falls into that category....she's receives a spousal pension and only receives a 7162 every other year....and this year was her year to receive one.  

If you or your spouse is receiving spousal retirement benefit then you may not received a 7162 this year....but you will next year.  If unsure about if you are coded as receiving a spousal benefit and which year you'll receive a 7162 take a look at a past/current 7162 you received and in the right side of the address block you see a bunch of numbers and you see some labelled a BNC, BIC, and COC.   Take a look at the letter under the BIC heading....if it's a "B" that means you are receiving a spousal benefit...if an "A" that means you are receiving a pension based on your own work record. Then review what the last two digits of your SSN to see which year applies.  Now I'm not absolutely sure if the last two digits used is based on the person receiving the spousal benefit or the SSN of the person who earning record was used--but I'm fairly sure it's based on the SSN of the earning record's person.     See below SSA regulation webpage and partial snapshot for more details.  

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655005

image.png.69a72aa91cdd45ac1626cf509522a0a9.png

A spousal benefit is not only "when that spouse did not work for 10 years to accumulate enough SSA credits (i.e., at least 40 credits) to earn a pension based on their own earning record..." but also applies to spouses with enough credits but receives a higher pension based on their spouse's earnings rather than her own benefit which would be less (From SSA website: "If you qualify for your own retirement and spouse’s benefits, we will always pay your own benefits first. If your benefit amount as a spouse is higher than your own retirement benefit, you will get a combination of the two benefits that equals the higher amount").  My wife has received a 7162 form last year (her first) and another one this year- 2 years in a row. Both hers and my 7162 forms are BIC coded "A". She is coded as "A" probably because she's entitled to receiving only her own benefit, if she had so chosen...the whole point here is the term "spousal benefit" applies to your posting as well as my writing here.

And as I wrote above, my wife received her 7162 form for this year on 19 June; I still haven't received mine......

Edited by jeffandgop

@Pib Used the SSA link on IDme site, after signing in.   Had to establish a 'gov' account, success, then directed to SSA register page.   Accepted info, name, SS#, address & Ph# (both USA only), then stated 'applied for', will receive a letter at address in 15-20 days.  Received email, changing that to 5-10 days, and will receive, stating may have an authorization code to be entered, as next step.

Seems all a bit redundant.  Strange they'll deposit SS almost anywhere, but require a USA address & Ph# for online account.  Along with sending 1099 anywhere.

Did state, any while registering, will NOT change any info SSA already has.   Good to know, and I hope true, as my SSA address is here/TH.   Same with IRS, and use address here/TH.   

Only use the USA address for pension & brokerage account, where the pension gets deposited, as only USA account allowed for pension deposit.   Kind of strange for an international company/union.   NWA, now DL, old union was IAM.

Kuhn.  I received the same message that this will not update anything with SSA.Gov.   Well after registering my address was updated to the us address.  I have been working or not with Manila for over a month to get my address updated and they are stating they cannot update. I hope my IDD deposits continue without a problem.  Good news is they said I should not receive a 7162 form anymore.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pib said:

I logged onto MySSA acct just now to see if I could change/update my Thailand address "now"....and sure enough I could get to the screen like you show above.

Are there any other disadvantages or advantages besides not receiving annual 7162 if I am able to change Thai address to my USA address in my social security account . I am keeping my irs tax account to remain in Thailand if it matters .

16 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Are there any other disadvantages or advantages besides not receiving annual 7162 if I am able to change Thai address to my USA address in my social security account . I am keeping my irs tax account to remain in Thailand if it matters .

Well if you register a US address with SS you can sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan which is US zip code based to get insurance that will cover you abroad for acute emergency events but not chronic conditions.

Downside might be if SS discovers you're really an expat that is viewed as fraud and benefits could be stopped. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

you can sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan which is US zip code based to get insurance that will cover you abroad for acute emergency events but not chronic condition

Thanks for the caution , I was not planning NOT to sign up Medicare advantage anyway as I was advised of no coverage abroad . I was merely trying to avoid this annual 7162which I am still waiting in Chiang Mai. I wonder if I call my local Thai post office if they can assist .

5 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Thanks for the caution , I was not planning NOT to sign up Medicare advantage anyway as I was advised of no coverage abroad . I was merely trying to avoid this annual 7162which I am still waiting in Chiang Mai. I wonder if I call my local Thai post office if they can assist .

Medicare A and B no coverage abroad.

A is free  You should enroll.

B has a fee about 170 a month and up.

Medicare ADVANTAGE is not the same!

It can even reduce the B fee. It replaces B.

But you must have a US address on file with SS to enroll in an ADVANTAGE plan.

With ADVANTAGE there is some emergency coverage abroad.

A and B not.

If you plan on repatriation not paying for B will cause a lifetime penalty of 10 percent for each year not paid from age 65.

Edited by Jingthing