Who said you bank/s aren't passing on your information to governments. Expats be advised !

On 6/5/2024 at 10:18 AM, timendres said:

It is interesting.

The gold sitting in my safe is not asking me to fill out any forms, nor is it reporting itself to any government agency...

What is your address?

On 6/14/2024 at 6:40 PM, EVENKEEL said:

When I call my bank from overseas and if they ask, I tell them I'm on vacation.

When I call my bank/DWP/IRS from overseas, I use a Skype phone number that appears to be in London. They can also call me back on that London number.

$90 US a year and well worth it.

I have a very common name in the UK, my bank doesn't have my passport number (I never admit to having a passport) or NI number, and thinks I'm living in the UK, I use a 3rd party to transfer money around (that isn't a bank) so how could they inform Thai authorities about anything?

Do you know who I am? ......... no you don't, and I'm not telling.

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/5/2024 at 8:37 AM, Caldera said:

Thailand has joined the CRS, so this is hardly surprising. If you tell your bank - that is located in another CRS country - that you are a tax resident of Thailand, they have to report information about your accounts to the Thai tax authorities. 

I don't think that banks in one country supply information about an account holder's details to a government in another country.

The exchange of information is between governments.

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I don't think that banks in one country supply information about an account holder's details to a government in another country.

The exchange of information is between governments.

Correct, but the banks have to tell the government, and the government informs other governments.  The result ends up the same.   

• Agree 1