Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

46 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I wrote "Plenty of other countries tax the worldwide income for their resident nationals, including the UK."  Note the word "resident".  So (as usual) I'm not wrong.  Your workers in the Middle East are spending sufficient time outside the UK to be classed as non-resident, and so their non-UK income is not taxed in the UK.

Not always the case.  As you say if they are out of the country for a full tax year (April 6th to April 5th the following year) excluding allowable days for visits, you are entitled to file non-dom status and will pay no tax on outside UK income providing you can prove that you are registered for tax in the country that you are based.  However, a lot of countries/contracts in the Middle east etc will pay tax free and use this as bait regardless of whether the contract is long enough for you to qualify.  This can lead to a rather unpleasant surprise if the UK tax man catches up with you at a later date.  I know people that have been caught out this way and I have also turned down contracts myself when the attractive so called tax-free turns out not to be the case. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, alphason said:

I've been struggling to find out about this, but from found this on Sherrings Thai tax pages...

Taxation of Capital Gains Income.

Specific types of assessable (taxable) income, for a resident of Thailand* is taxed as follows: 

* A resident is a person in Thailand for 180 days or more in a year

For a resident of Thailand deriving capital gains income from a source outside of Thailand and bringing it into Thailand**.
Personal income tax on the amount of capital gains income (the amount of the proceeds exceeding the costs of the investment).

**not including capital gains from immovable property which most double tax agreements prescribe the tax rights for the country in which the immovable property is situated.

Is this saying the UK Thai DTA prevents Thailand charging CGT/PIT on the sale of a property in the UK ??

the property I sold was in Thailand so the DTA wasn't relevant.

I also recently sold a property in the UK and paid capital gains tax there but It only worked out as a low percentage (much less than Thai income tax rates) - I sold it last year just in case Thailand conspired to find a way to tax it ! 

22 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Hahahahaha. The Phillippines look better every day.

And the best part is, even if you are covered by a Double Taxation Agreement (meaning you got fleeced already in your passport country or wherever your money is taxed already) you have to file for taxes every year which will cost 10,000 - 20,000 THB done by an accountant.

I concur. And I think it will be a standard fee of 5,000 baht to issue a semi fraudulent document that you will need to submit to renew your visa. And once a year all the local tax firms will get fined. But the revenue will be worth it.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, proton said:

They need everything they can get to help pay for their enormous 10k baht for every Thai over 16 election bribe bill, I will not be contributing. 

*who has less than 500k THB in their bank account 😄 

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

Do you mean a Thai citizen residing in the UK?

The basics are here

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence

UK residence and tax

Your UK residence status affects whether you need to pay tax in the UK on your foreign income.

Non-residents only pay tax on their UK income - they do not pay UK tax on their foreign income.

Residents normally pay UK tax on all their income, whether it’s from the UK or abroad. But there are special rules for UK residents whose permanent home (‘domicile’) is abroad.

Yes, thanks. 

So Thais in the UK, US, Australia pay tax on their foreign income but those countries' citizens residing in Thailand think they don't need to do the same. Interesting. 

11 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

Not always the case.  As you say if they are out of the country for a full tax year (April 6th to April 5th the following year) excluding allowable days for visits, you are entitled to file non-dom status and will pay no tax on outside UK income providing you can prove that you are registered for tax in the country that you are based. 

Perhaps we are talking Apples and Oranges.

Registering as non-resident for tax in the UK is vastly different to registering as a non-dom. Non-doms are (as far as I am aware) are tax resident in the UK but not domiciled. As a lowly Brit but registered as non-resident for tax with HMRC I pay no tax on any offshore income or any capital gains excluding property. I have not had to show that I am registered elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

It's what the call for skilled technicians is all about. I'm looking to invest in hacking. Seems like a sure thing. Any ETFs? Groups listed on SET?

Thailand approved its first spot in Bitcoin ETF, with One Asset Management joining the growing list of jurisdictions approving regulated Bitcoin funds.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/thailand-approves-the-first-spot-bitcoin-etf

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, topt said:

It's not necessarily that they think they do not have to do the same. That is how the tax rules have been set up for decades. 

Just so happens that Thailand not only moved the goal posts with the change announced last year but now are talking about moving the whole stadium..........(if it goes ahead)

As the Buddhists say, 

“Change is never painful, only resistance to change is painful.”

According to Buddhism, everything in human life, all objects, as well as all beings whether in heavenly or hellish or earthly realms in Buddhist cosmology, is always changing, inconstant, undergoes rebirth and redeath (Samsara). This impermanence is a source of dukkha.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Thaindrew said:

the property I sold was in Thailand so the DTA wasn't relevant.

I also recently sold a property in the UK and paid capital gains tax there but It only worked out as a low percentage (much less than Thai income tax rates) - I sold it last year just in case Thailand conspired to find a way to tax it ! 

Thanks, maybe should have sold earlier also.

UK CGT on property is 18%or24%, Thailand PIT could be as high as 35%. (£45k 30%, £110k 35%). How do they calculate gain, from when.

Also if you owned the property before April 2015, as a UK non resident you can rebase the valuation to April 2015, so taxed only on gain from April 2015.

8 minutes ago, topt said:

Registering as non-resident for tax in the UK is vastly different to registering as a non-dom. Non-doms are (as far as I am aware) are tax resident in the UK but not domiciled. As a lowly Brit but registered as non-resident for tax with HMRC I pay no tax on any offshore income or any capital gains excluding property. I have not had to show that I am registered elsewhere.

becoming UK non-tax resident is fairly easy yes, you are out of the country for a period of time and have no earnings in the UK. Non-Dom is harder to achieve - proposed legislation seems to say that you can claim Non Dom if you lived in another country for 10 years straight and proactively choose that country as your place of domicile (not a mix of countries) - given the upcoming election we will have to see if that legislation goes through. 

As a non-tax resident you are correct that we don't pay any tax in the UK on foreign earnings but we are still liable for capital gains achieved in the UK (say from a sale of a property) and still liable for inheritance tax unless we can claim non-dom status.

On 6/5/2024 at 11:11 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Hypothetical conversation between a Thai Revenue Employee and a foreign resident:  "What was your income from the US last year?"  "None of your businessa and if want to know contact the IRS".  "What is the IRS?". "Information Release Service".  

But not everybody comes from US. What if you are required to submit US income tax return when doing your Thai self assessment?

13 minutes ago, topt said:

I don't want to get in a debate about this as I don't know the finer technicalities with regards to terminology/status.  However, a quick search of the internet reveals the following:

"Non-dom" describes a UK resident whose permanent home - or domicile - for tax purposes is outside the UK. It refers to a person's tax status, and has nothing to do with their nationality, citizenship or resident status - although it can be affected by these factors.

2 minutes ago, alphason said:

Thanks, maybe should have sold earlier also.

UK CGT on property is 18%or24%, Thailand PIT could be as high as 35%. (£45k 30%, £110k 35%). How do they calculate gain, from when.

Also if you owned the property before April 2015, as a UK non resident you can rebase the valuation to April 2015, so taxed only on gain from April 2015.

Yes I used the rebasing method and paid an effective tax rate on the profit of only 3-4%.

in Thailand they calculate based on land office docs, purchase price v selling price less any allowances for renovation, furniture etc (that in effect are passed on in the sale), but you need proper receipts. 

Along with the recent tax debacle, I'm also anxious to see what kind of cluster schmuck they can come up with when all the long term non-Immigrant visa rules are changed on Sept 1st of this year.

It has been reported that the 17 long term visas (available now) will be reduced to just 7 and that there will be requirement changes for all long term visa holders who wish to stay in Thailand long term.  Also mentioned that that there will be more scrutiny attached to the visas and extensions in order to weed out the undesirables and criminals.

This could be the opportunity to they have been waiting for to raise the bar on income and bank deposit requirements for retirees and spouses of Thai citizens (on long term stay visa extensions).  Nothing of this has been mentioned yet but they have been throwing subtle hints for a few years now (Big Joke has been pushing for this for some time).

When it rains it pours!

• Agree 1

I wonder if the latest THB weakness isn't explained, to a small degree at least, to the tax changes and all the news about taxing remittance & income. 

I rather large part of my expat friends are deliberately making fewer international transfers into Thailand - and they are probably not alone. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Everyman said:

Ain’t going to happen. Countries like the US aren’t going to hand over massive amounts of intelligence on their own citizens to any tin pot foreign regime that asks for it.

Imagine China searching such a database for patterns consistent with foreign spying, or using it to dig up dirt on presidential candidates and leaking it to the press.

Even in the U.S the government couldn’t get Trump’s financial records without a subpoena. 

This had gone far enough into paranoia land. You all need to take some Xanax, have a Chang in your favorite lady bar and forget about this for a couple years so you can see that nothing will happen. If it makes you feel better, pick a lady bar in Angeles city so you don’t spend more than 180 days in a year in Thailand. 

You mean like this.

https://th.usembassy.gov/united-states-and-thailand-sign-agreement-to-share-tax-information/

I know in my home country the US has very close cooperation with our tax authorities to catch tax offenders from both countries.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pentagara said:

No need. The agency that ensures that Thailand gets the required information already exists and is called OECD. Thailand is just leverages that one, it joined the CRS scheme in 2023 with the first reporting conducted on financial information covering 2022. If they hadn't joined, they actually would have been bullied by the rich countries ('grey tax jurisdictions'), since the point is that the rich countries get information on all the global bank accounts and incomes of their tax residents. The associated hacking skill is called CRS, where banks / financial intermediaries automatically are legally required to report to the foreign tax authorities based on TIN. Thailand is simply leveraging this infrastructure created by other rich tax desperate countries. The concept was initiated by Obama (FATCA) to ensure US citizens can't escape paying tax on their foreign inome. The concept was then picked up in principle by all countries that are OECD members (CRS/AEOI).

Interesting, thanks. 

Why do you think the Thai Rd would investigate one of its citizens? 

Could it be if they have regular bank deposits from abroad? 

2 hours ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

That is moderately interesting but of little value to those residing in Thailand. The fact remains that Thailand is an independent and sovereign country with its own laws, rules and regulations. But you already knew that and acted accordingly.

This waS IN RESPONS TO those that asked if the US tax folks provided foreign-language assistance.  Just because Thailand doesn't, they do allow English as well as Thai and there are numerous official translation agents available.  Probably some tax agents will advertise foreign language assistance too.

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

I have a few beach residences dotted about Thailand.

I love them but they are a fast track to alcoholism. 

Not much else to do except get hammered or go for a walk.

bob.

Yes Bob.

2 minutes ago, freeworld said:

You mean like this.

https://th.usembassy.gov/united-states-and-thailand-sign-agreement-to-share-tax-information/

I know in my home country the US works very close with our tax authorities to catch tax offenders from both countries.

I can see the US handing over information about large corporations but not Hank, retired butcher from Brooklyn. 

• Haha 1