All eyes on Steady Eddy - best wishes

55 minutes ago, theblether said:

I don't think they've got to the bottom of Eddy's infection yet and there was some suggestion it could have been a parasite. If you live in Thailand long term, go get the cleansing medication from the pharmacy. Better safe than sorry. 

Thanks for the info. Is the medicine you mention preventative or a cure if you do have a parasite? Do you have any further details of what medicine one should be taking and how regularly?

Thanks in advance.

56 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Thanks for the info. Is the medicine you mention preventative or a cure if you do have a parasite? Do you have any further details of what medicine one should be taking and how regularly?

Thanks in advance.

Thais routinely take it every six months and it kills most gut parasites ( I don't want to be so bold as to say all ). 

As I said, it's nothing to do with personal hygiene, it's food supply. Pork in particular and the Thai habit of eating raw prawns are common factors. 

Every time I leave Thailand I take anti-parasite medication with me and use it when I return home. It's usually a three to five day course. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, theblether said:

Thais routinely take it every six months and it kills most gut parasites ( I don't want to be so bold as to say all ). 

As I said, it's nothing to do with personal hygiene, it's food supply. Pork in particular and the Thai habit of eating raw prawns are common factors. 

Every time I leave Thailand I take anti-parasite medication with me and use it when I return home. It's usually a three to five day course. 

That´s actually really good. I take em regulary as well. 🙂 Good luck and all the best to Eddy.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, theblether said:

Some of you will be aware that YouTube vlogger Steady Eddy has been ill for a few weeks with a brain infection. He's due an operation this weekend and I wish him all the best, as no doubt many forum members will also. Also, all praise to Nick Dean for the support he has shown to Eddy. 

....and many others in our world🙏

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, theblether said:

Is there a specification for the parasite medicine, name, dosage, program, etc?  I spent about a week each month in Thailand for the past year or so (and into the foreseeable future), and I'm always nervous about eating in unfamiliar venues.  Especially since I love street food, though I avoid as much as possible uncooked meat, fish and other seafood.  Still...  A little prevention.  No telling what dripped on the food they put on my plate.

Best of luck to Steady Eddie.  Though I can't say I've met him or I'm familiar with his work...

Edited by impulse

17 hours ago, theblether said:

Finally, over the years I have continually stated: 

1. There's no such thing as self-insurance. You are gambling - full stop. 

2. NEVER ASSUME THAT YOU WILL BE FIT ENOUGH TO FLY HOME FOR TREATMENT. 

3. Always share your insurance details with someone in Thailand and your home country as you MAY NOT BE IN A FIT STATE TO CONDUCT YOUR AFFAIRS. 

this time I'll add one more - 

Get in the habit of using anti-parasite medication. One girl who was part of my general social circle was diagnosed with a brain worm, commonly associated with undercooked pork. Prawns and some fish types are also a source of worms. Your personal hygiene is not the issue, it's the food supply. 

I don't think they've got to the bottom of Eddy's infection yet and there was some suggestion it could have been a parasite. If you live in Thailand long term, go get the cleansing medication from the pharmacy. Better safe than sorry. 

Which parasite cleansing medication is recommended? 

Thanks

• Like 1

16 hours ago, impulse said:

Is there a specification for the parasite medicine, name, dosage, program, etc?  I spent about a week each month in Thailand for the past year or so (and into the foreseeable future), and I'm always nervous about eating in unfamiliar venues.  Especially since I love street food, though I avoid as much as possible uncooked meat, fish and other seafood.  Still...  A little prevention.  No telling what dripped on the food they put on my plate.

Best of luck to Steady Eddie.  Though I can't say I've met him or I'm familiar with his work...

Praziquantel, Albendazole - common usage. Just ask your pharmacy re dosage. It's part of the daily routine for pharmacies in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, sapson said:

Which parasite cleansing medication is recommended? 

Thanks

Praziquantel, Albendazole - common usage. Just ask your pharmacy re dosage. It's part of the daily routine for pharmacies in Thailand. 

Don't go down the rabbit hole - you'll encounter online obsessives who take things too far. 

In my case a parasite was picked up during a routine blood screening twelve years ago. Treatment was as described above and it was that experience educated  and encouraged me to join Thais in routine consumption of anti-parasite medications. 

To clarify re Steady Eddy, the cause is unknown so I'm not saying its parasitic. 

Edited by theblether

4 hours ago, theblether said:

Thanks for that!

On 6/7/2024 at 10:12 PM, theblether said:

Thais routinely take it every six months

Never knew a Thai doing this.

(Doctors don't recommend this)

They give it to their dogs every 6 months. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Never knew a Thai doing this.

(Doctors don't recommend this)

They give it to their dogs every 6 months. 

That's amazing as it was my Thai doctor that put me onto it and told me that he takes them every six months. 

Maybe you should read this recent study where they found parasites in 10% of a study group in Khon Khaen. A study that found 67.5% of Thais take anti-parasite medication every year. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9860576/

3.3. Reason for Self-Treatment of Anti-Parasitic Drugs

Half of the participants (50.7%) had experienced parasitic infection screening, and from this group, 42% had a diagnosis of parasitic disease. A total of 81% of the participants in this community had the experience of anti-parasitic drug treatment. The most common reason for treatment with an anti-parasitic drug was “Often eat raw food” (37.7%), followed by “Feel uncomfortable stomach” (25.3%), “Self-treatment every year” (15.5%), and prevention from parasitic infection (14.1%). About 67.5% of the participants were treated with anti-parasitic drugs at least one time a year, and anti-parasitic drugs were commonly bought from pharmaceutical medicine stores (40.8%) and drugs sold on street markets (32.0%). More details are shown in Figure 2.

21 minutes ago, theblether said:

That's amazing as it was my Thai doctor that put me onto it and told me that he takes them every six months. 

Maybe you should read this recent study where they found parasites in 10% of a study group in Khon Khaen. A study that found 67.5% of Thais take anti-parasite medication every year. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9860576/

3.3. Reason for Self-Treatment of Anti-Parasitic Drugs

Half of the participants (50.7%) had experienced parasitic infection screening, and from this group, 42% had a diagnosis of parasitic disease. A total of 81% of the participants in this community had the experience of anti-parasitic drug treatment. The most common reason for treatment with an anti-parasitic drug was “Often eat raw food” (37.7%), followed by “Feel uncomfortable stomach” (25.3%), “Self-treatment every year” (15.5%), and prevention from parasitic infection (14.1%). About 67.5% of the participants were treated with anti-parasitic drugs at least one time a year, and anti-parasitic drugs were commonly bought from pharmaceutical medicine stores (40.8%) and drugs sold on street markets (32.0%). More details are shown in Figure 2.

It says "self-treatment every year 15%", out of a rural community chosen fire parasite studies.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lorry said:

It says "self-treatment every year 15%", out of a rural community chosen fire parasite studies.  

Why are you arguing about this? Is your life that shallow? 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, theblether said:

Why are you arguing about this? Is your life that shallow? 

You can leave away the insult.

Taking prescription medicine,  especially antimicrobial medication,  without asking a health professional,  is never a good idea. 

Rural Thais in Isaan may not know any better,  "Amoxi" is sold and taken like candy. But educated foreigners from rich countries should know better. 

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Lorry said:

You can leave away the insult.

Taking prescription medicine,  especially antimicrobial medication,  without asking a health professional,  is never a good idea. 

Rural Thais in Isaan may not know any better,  "Amoxi" is sold and taken like candy. But educated foreigners from rich countries should know better. 

??? It's over the counter medication

You started off with a patently false insinuation that Thais don't routinely use anti-parasite medication. 

You are sent a recent medically supervised survey that stated 67.5% of used it in the past year. And you are still arguing. 

Give it a rest.