Rose coloured glasses

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I think it's related to the beer goggles that were introduced when everyone became bored (post #6).

Ah, yes, the proverbial liquor lenses, also known as bourbon binoculars. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

It's great that we can all get together and have stimulating conversation like this .

Far better than sitting in any loud bar in Pattaya 

I'm doing both. 

Who said men can't multitask. 

14 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm doing both. 

Who said men can't multitask. 

I thought only bob sits around in loud tranny bars in Pattaya lurking for his next short-time victim? Chek Binnnnn Neh!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

I thought only bob sits around in loud tranny bars in Pattaya lurking for his next short-time victim? Chek Binnnnn Neh!

Yep, you are correct, it's only Bob who sits around in the loud tranny bars, he's next door.

I'm in the 'sexy chick only' bar. 😎

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Everyone who is fresh meat get their pink glasses on when they land at the international airports in Thailand. For some it lasts for a few hours, others, lifetime thai fever which is a serious condition and can not be cured

Meaning, naiv, stupid and reckless when it comes to girls, culture, alchohol and other stimulants. 

That is being 'green'. Rose tinted glasses is more thinking everything is awesome and not entertaining or accepting any negativity on Thais or Thailand even when it is staring them in the face. Thaier than Thai types.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

That is being 'green'. Rose tinted glasses is more thinking everything is awesome and not entertaining or accepting any negativity on Thais or Thailand even when it is staring them in the face. Thaier than Thai types.

Pink glasses cover pretty much everything 

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm trying to work out the "psychology" of this.

The statement I see often.

You have Rose tinted glasses about Thai people 

Please explain if you see that statement 

I think a big part of it is that people attach something like their ego, identity, status or sense of worth to the perception of Thailand as being superior to other places.  Thailand is superior, Thai people are superior, they live in Thailand, they like Thai people, therefore they are superior.

Obviously, in order to maintain this feeling, they have to block out all the bad things about Thailand and reinforce the good.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, stoner said:

whats a neh ?

neh, na, same thing. It's just a soft intonation added to the end phrases and sentences. You could just say check bin khrub. Or na khrub. It's all basically the same. No real added meaning. Just softens the phrase. 

"Check bin na nawng khrub" is what polite male Thais would say. 

Edited by ChumpChange

40 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I think a big part of it is that people attach something like their ego, identity, status or sense of worth to the perception of Thailand as being superior to other places.  Thailand is superior, Thai people are superior, they live in Thailand, they like Thai people, therefore they are superior.

Obviously, in order to maintain this feeling, they have to block out all the bad things about Thailand and reinforce the good.

We used to call that "going native". I don't see that happening as much anymore. Most people coming here now are mainly coming to reap what the place has to offer and are less interested in going below the surface. Back in the day, many more long-stayers tried to integrate and learn more about the food, language, social norms, and developed a deeper fondness for the people and culture.