Sloshed, plastered and gazeboed: why Britons have 546 words for drunkenness

43 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

'Lived in England for 8 years, never enjoyed booze much, became a slobbering drunk there.

Brit pub culture is a thing of great beauty, and I am grateful to be far away from it.

Never will forget the time I went into a pub in Bath. Ordered a draft of Bass Ale. Only ever had it before that time bottled and chilled. The draft came out served warm. I looked at them and said "this is warm". And they said "yeahhhh". No more pubs! 😉

Edited by ChumpChange
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

Never will forget the time I went into a pub in Bath. Ordered a draft of Bass Ale. Only ever had it before that bottled and chilled. The draft came out served warm. I looked at them and said "this is warm". And they said "yeahhhh". No more pubs! 😉

You should have ordered "a pint of draught Bass", not "a draught of Bass Ale" [sic], then he probably wouldn't have taken the piss out of you.   Just because it didn't come out of a fridge (you did order draught) doesn't make it "warm" - another common myth about British-served beer.

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

B0llocks, it's because of our unsurpassed, articulate eloquence.

😂 Yeah, right it just must be. 😉 Nah, but been in the UK many times. It´s about one of the last countries that still cling on to after work beer. A nice thing, many other countries have forgotten. Just look at Swedes. They run home as quick as they can after work a hide in their houses and apartments.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You should have ordered "a pint of draught Bass", not "a draught of Bass Ale" [sic], then he probably wouldn't have taken the piss out of you.   Just because it didn't come out of a fridge (you did order draught) doesn't make it "warm" - another common myth about British-served beer.

TBH, I don't think they were taking the piss. I think they really did serve it warm. So it seemed like my mistake for not knowing. So I took a couple of sips and left it. I didn't make a big fuss. The pub food lunch was good though. Sliced turkey I think from my vague memory. 

Edited by ChumpChange
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

... countries that still cling on to after work beer.

AFTER work??

Friday lunchtime down in the Albion Inn (the old Verwood station) with the MD! (this would have been the late 80's mind)

Two or three pints of something from Ringwood brewery and a pasty-n-chips then back to the office.

By far the best code was written on Friday afternoons, not that anyone actually remembered who wrote it or how it actually worked :whistling:

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

I think they really did serve it warm.

It should have been "cellar temperature" 10-13oC (50 to 55oF), not exactly warm but definitely not having its nads frozen off.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It should have been "cellar temperature" 10-13oC (50 to 55oF), not exactly warm but definitely not having its nads frozen off.

Thanks. Just seemed like room temperature from what I recall. Was a long time ago. Bath is a lovely place though and with the river running right through the middle. Epic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

Thanks. Just seemed like room temperature from what I recall. Was a long time ago. Bath is a lovely place though and with the river running right through the middle. Epic. 

Yeah, we used to live in Box (of Brunel's Box Tunnel fame) just up the A4, I got my BSc at the University of Bath.

We swilled a LOT of that "warm" ale in the Quarryman's Arms on top of Box Hill (still trading).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, we used to live in Box (of Brunel's Box Tunnel fame) just up the A4, I got my BSc at the University of Bath.

We swilled a LOT of that "warm" ale in the Quarryman's Arms on top of Box Hill (still trading).

The pub from my foggy memory was located a bit up a hill on a windy road from the city center. It was a small place. Had a nice bay window in the front of the pub where we sat. kind of a narrow place. Like a single Thai shophouse. Bar was at the back. 

We went midday or early afternoon. There might have been someone playing acoustic guitar inside the pub too. I'm probably describing dozens of places in that area so this is purely anecdotal. It was likely 20+ years ago, so may not even be there any longer. If I could remember the street name I could see if I could find it on Google Earth, but it's too long ago to remember the street now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

'Lived in England for 8 years, never enjoyed booze much, became a slobbering drunk there.

Brit pub culture is a thing of great beauty, and I am grateful to be far away from it.

The British Pub is a great institution! One of the few things I miss is the country pub - rarely seen a "slobbering drunk" in any of them

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

😂 Yeah, right it just must be. 😉 Nah, but been in the UK many times. It´s about one of the last countries that still cling on to after work beer. A nice thing, many other countries have forgotten. Just look at Swedes. They run home as quick as they can after work a hide in their houses and apartments.

When I worked in the City of London as an insurance broker a major part of the day involved visiting the pub. That was where all the biggest and best deals were done. We would often have a late morning pint or two, a 'proper' drink at lunchtime, a mid/late afternoon 'livener' then go out for a session in the evening. Invariably, you felt pretty grim the next day so you would have a mid morning 'hair of the dog' and so the cycle continued.

Happy days but nearly killed me. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:
20 hours ago, ChumpChange said:

I think they really did serve it warm.

Exactly.

17 hours ago, BobBKK said:

One of the few things I miss is the country pub

The English country pub, the main reason the English own dogs!

As if we really need an excuse :whistling:

• Haha 1