The Waning Patriotism of Modern Liberals: A Call to Rediscover National Pride

Social Media

National Pride Week?

Pride is a negative word and one of the seven deadly sins. When people say national pride, they usually refer to xenophobia, hatred of others and a selfish "we rule the world" stance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I'd be curious how many people who consider themselves to be patriots have passports and have ever been outside of the United States?

I would also be curious how many of them would put their lives at risk in a war, if the situation called for it. Or send their sons or daughters overseas, to sacrifice their lives or limbs?

It's very easy to say you're a patriot, when there's nothing at stake. For instance, standing for the pledge is an artifice created by the war department in 1942, to drum up patriotism for enlistments. It was perhaps required at that time. It has since been highly politicized and is not necessarily a symbol of patriotism.

Trump was offended by the military. Unlike the coward who got 5 deferrments when his nation asked him to serve, the military men and women consistently put their own lives on the line. Don Don cannot relate to self sacrifice. So, he belittles them, betraying his own lack of dignity. That is just who he is. The ultimate lowlife. McCain was a hero. Don has always been a coward. 

Real Americans? Is that some sort of secret language for white men? Color hating folks, who think the past was unbelievably great? When American prospects were HUUUGGGE? Explain your version of real American to me. I am an American, but I guess I am not patriotic, since I am critical of US policy and don't wave around a flag. 

I spent 10 years of my life as a Vietnamese linguist, 2 years in VN, been in Laos during that war, lived in Rocket City  (named for incoming rockets) for 18 months and enlisted right out of HS in 1964.  I have lived and worked around the world for another 36 years and have seen the changes in the US culture/society created by some of my generation but mostly those younger generations who don't seem to want to volunteer for anything especially the US military.  Yeah I hear all of you talking the US involvement in so many different locations - in most, the US was not alone but it was a conflict brought about by the

UN and many of your countries also sent your military to those foreign lands.  Many conflicts exist due to the borders drawn up by other westerrn countries that do not fit in with the locals so much so.  A perfect example is Afghanistan - ruled by terrorist and used as a training ground for other terrorists.  English couldn't fix them, Russians got their butts kicked,  US went in with other nations.  Women for 20 years were treated as humans, allowed to go to schools and fill in any jobs, then the great negotiator - Trump negotiated with the Taliban to leave.  He gave Biden a short leash to do that and the military heads did little planning except for fleeing the country and leaving it up to the Taliban - immediately all women were kicked out of any jobs they held, no schools for females, women could only be examined by a female doctor etc. and back to the stone age.  The US found out that you can't win the hearts and minds of certain religious peoples if your are western and believe in equality of the sexes.  Now, the Afghanis continue to suffer and wonder what they did wrong to deserve the Taliban I guess.  While living around the world, I kept notes on livability after retiring.  Thailand came out number 1 with the PI as number 2...I don't like cold weather, and still think that Thailand still suits me better than anywhere else, but if push came to shove guess I could go to the PI or GOD forbid the US.  Good luck to us all.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Ah, I think we have another #bekind "liberal" on the forum :coffee1:.

Great to see your tolerance of those with different opinions 😃

Everyone is entitled to an opinion Jonny, but facts are not opinions and nobody gets to imagine their own facts.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

National Pride Week?

Pride is a negative word and one of the seven deadly sins. When people say national pride, they usually refer to xenophobia, hatred of others and a selfish "we rule the world" stance.

That's biblical pride, the ridiculous concept that God should be put above your own self-respect. Subjugation or Islam. 

You can have pride in your children, pride in your work, pride in your achievements and pride in your self-worth.  There's nothing wrong in that.  

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

I will help clarify.

The folks in that image are naive gullible idiots who believe the lies spewing from the rabid mouth of the most infamous recently convicted felon. They hate democracy, law enforcement, and they are prone to violence. They confuse being members of a Cult with patriotism. They are absolute scum. They are not 'hostages' nor 'political prisoners', just low life losers.

The FBI director appointed by the felon himself called them "terrorists". They all should have been shot.

Amen !  Beers on the house   spoken like a true patriot.  I tried to go but Amtrak was booked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Everyone is d titled to an opinion Jonny, but facts are opinions and Bobby gets to imagine their own facts.

Not sure what that means, or who Bobby is, but judging by that post maybe it's time to put down the Brandy. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

That's biblical pride, the ridiculous concept that God should be put above your own self-respect. Subjugation or Islam. 

You can have pride in your children, pride in your work, pride in your achievements and pride in your self-worth.  There's nothing wrong in that.  

How about pride in the gender of people you choose to copulate with?

Seems odd to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

How about pride in the gender of people you choose to copulate with?

Seems odd to me.

Seems odd to me that you're infatuated with other people's ccpulation. Most remarkable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I couldn't care less.

The only reason I notice it is because they prance down the street half naked shouting about it. 

So you're out getting your sausages and there it is, yet another gay parade with half naked people coming towards you shouting that they want to copulate with people of the same sex. There's no avoiding it is there? I do feel for you. It must be so distressing.  

Honestly. Just be a man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mark Twain had patriots sussed. A bumper sticker doesn't make one a patriot. Apparently, at government level, patriots send other people's kids to war.

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about. - Mark Twain

Mark Twain had patriots sussed. A bumper sticker doesn't make one a patriot. Apparently, at government level, patriots send other people's kids to war.

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about. - Mark Twain

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You may not have noticed that it's Pride month. Yes, a whole month. Pride in what you might ask? Having a good education? Raisng nice kids? Working with sick animals or the homeless? No, Pride in copulating with people of the same sex.

I have no problem with gays. Work with many and consider quite a few of them friends. I just don't get why people are so proud of who they are sexually attracted to. Doesn't make much sense to me. It's like being proud of liking dairy products.  

Just get on with it. It's really not that amazing to the rest of us. Maybe that explains the need to prance around half naked shouting about it. Nobody would pay any attention otherwise 😆

Well, if you that think all Pride is is people going around shouting about copulation then you're beyond redemption.  We're way off the original subject now so let's leave it there. 

Edited by Baht Simpson

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

Nah same thing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

Well, if you that think all Pride is is people going around shouting about copulation then you're beyond redemption.  

They are proud of being gay.

Proud of being sexually attracted to the same sex as them, or both sexes or however they define the LGBT alphabet.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. Nothing to be proud of. It is an innate characteristic. Like having brown hair. Murray said it well, and he's gay by the way so likely not homophobic.

image.png.b8a328d47d19c4ae3ff4072f3e0923d6.png

No need to prance down the street singing and shouting about it IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Y'all might want to watch that 'draft dodging' talk. Sure, Trump got 4 deferments as a student and a final one for a failed medical. Yet, Biden got FIVE deferments as a student and a final one for a failed medical. So which is the coward? Bill Clinton got 5 student deferments. Bush the Younger joined the Guard but rarely actually trained.  It is a crowded field of those who didn't want to join up.

While this is true having five deferments on top of five enormous bankruptcies is something that might put him in a class all of his own. I seriously doubt that there's another American that can lay claimed to those qualities, and could be a significant tribute to his moral bankruptcy, too. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

I spent 10 years of my life as a Vietnamese linguist, 2 years in VN, been in Laos during that war, lived in Rocket City  (named for incoming rockets) for 18 months and enlisted right out of HS in 1964.  I have lived and worked around the world for another 36 years and have seen the changes in the US culture/society created by some of my generation but mostly those younger generations who don't seem to want to volunteer for anything especially the US military.  Yeah I hear all of you talking the US involvement in so many different locations - in most, the US was not alone but it was a conflict brought about by the

UN and many of your countries also sent your military to those foreign lands.  Many conflicts exist due to the borders drawn up by other westerrn countries that do not fit in with the locals so much so.  A perfect example is Afghanistan - ruled by terrorist and used as a training ground for other terrorists.  English couldn't fix them, Russians got their butts kicked,  US went in with other nations.  Women for 20 years were treated as humans, allowed to go to schools and fill in any jobs, then the great negotiator - Trump negotiated with the Taliban to leave.  He gave Biden a short leash to do that and the military heads did little planning except for fleeing the country and leaving it up to the Taliban - immediately all women were kicked out of any jobs they held, no schools for females, women could only be examined by a female doctor etc. and back to the stone age.  The US found out that you can't win the hearts and minds of certain religious peoples if your are western and believe in equality of the sexes.  Now, the Afghanis continue to suffer and wonder what they did wrong to deserve the Taliban I guess.  While living around the world, I kept notes on livability after retiring.  Thailand came out number 1 with the PI as number 2...I don't like cold weather, and still think that Thailand still suits me better than anywhere else, but if push came to shove guess I could go to the PI or GOD forbid the US.  Good luck to us all.

I go back to the US 2 to 5 times a year for various reasons, and I can tell you that I feel exactly the same way as you do. Life back there is getting harder and harder, the quality of life has diminished for all but the most wealthy, and there is very little cheer, or joy to be found. God forbid if you are single!

I do a lot of traveling around the US, so I am speaking of various parts of it. 

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

They are proud of being gay.

Proud of being sexually attracted to the same sex as them, or both sexes or however they define the LGBT alphabet.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. Nothing to be proud of. It is an innate characteristic. Like having brown hair. Murray said it well, and he's gay by the way so likely not homophobic.

image.png.b8a328d47d19c4ae3ff4072f3e0923d6.png

No need to prance down the street singing and shouting about it IMO.

MY Gawd                 I                                                                                                                          agree