90 Nations to Attend Swiss-Hosted Ukraine Peace Summit, Russia Snubs Invitation

Social Media

image.png.db6af7d772465271eb1668a455713425.png

Switzerland’s President Viola Amherd announced on Monday that nearly 90 countries and organizations, including half from Europe, have confirmed their attendance at the Ukraine peace summit hosted by Switzerland this weekend. However, Russia has declined to participate.

The summit, taking place in the scenic Bürgenstock resort overlooking Lake Lucerne in the village of Obbürgen, aims to pave a path towards peace 28 months after Russian forces invaded Ukraine. President Amherd emphasized that the summit is focused on humanitarian aid and fostering dialogue rather than propaganda.

"This is not about propaganda," Amherd stated. "This is about the basis of humanitarian aid provided by Switzerland, based on fostering peace (and) to provide a platform to initiate a dialogue."

Notably, Moscow was not invited to the summit and has indicated that it would not have attended even if invited, as the conference is based on peace proposals from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, which Russia rejects.

High-Level Attendance and Notable Absences

The summit will see participation from high-ranking officials and top country leaders. About half of the participants will be represented at the head of state or government level, with a handful from organizations like the United Nations. French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, and U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris are among the expected attendees. Harris will be joined by President Joe Biden's national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, as part of the U.S. delegation.

Despite 160 invitations being sent out, fewer than 100 have confirmed their participation in the first phase of the peace process. Key developing countries like Turkey, South Africa, and Brazil have not indicated their attendance. India will participate, but the level of representation is not yet clear.

Brazil and China have stated they will not attend unless both sides, including Russia, are present at the table. Swiss officials have acknowledged China's position, noting that Beijing has been a top supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin since the war began. Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis mentioned that Switzerland is in frequent contact with Moscow regarding the conference. "The question is not whether Russia will be on board, the question is when," Cassis stated, emphasizing Switzerland's understanding that a peace process cannot proceed without Russian involvement.

Ukraine's Diplomatic Push

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is expected to attend the summit and has been actively involved in coordinating the event. Zelenskyy has made a diplomatic effort to attract attendees to the summit while accusing China and Russia of attempting to undermine it. The Swiss-hosted conference follows the recent G7 summit in neighboring Italy. Swiss officials aim to set a course toward "lasting peace" in Ukraine, seeking a "common understanding" and developing a "roadmap" for engaging both sides in talks. The summit’s agenda includes nuclear security, humanitarian aid, and food security.

Security Measures

Swiss authorities have implemented extensive security measures for the event. As many as 4,000 military personnel will be deployed to provide security, support air transportation, and enhance surveillance. Security fencing and steel wire will be rolled out for the event. Officials noted an increase in cyberattacks leading up to the summit but did not provide specific details. In preparation for the summit, Swiss troops have set up a makeshift heliport in a grassy field below a mountain ridge near the resort, with the sound of cowbells clanging in the background.

The Swiss-hosted Ukraine peace summit represents a significant effort to address the ongoing conflict and establish a foundation for lasting peace. While the absence of Russia poses a challenge, the participation of numerous nations and organizations underscores the global community's commitment to seeking a resolution to the crisis.

Credit: ABC News 2024-06-12

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

The summit, taking place in the scenic Bürgenstock

Does that mean everybody has to wear those goofy shoes?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Hmmm… Russia haters very conspicuous by their absence. I guess they realise there’s no defending this farce of a summit.

What a farce....how very dare they try to provide humanitarian aid and a platform to encourage peace.

Absolutely abhorrent idea....how could Russian haters possibly defend this?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, johng said:

Russia snubbed the invitation because they where not invited   and therefore this whole

"peace summit" is a waste of time.

Yes, but for the many participants a nice little event justifying  a few days in nice hotels with good grub and all sorts of perks. Nice work if you can get it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

World Cup Final between France and Brazil without Brazil present. How does it work??

They declare that France (Ukraine) has won  because Brazil ( Russia) did not turn up..even though they where not invited ! :w00t:

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Russia Snubs Invitation

Moscow was not invited to the summit 

English is not my first language so I might not be too appreciative of the nuances but can someone tell me if the above makes sense? Or just another example of western journalism?

Well, you didn't read far enough because the article clearly states that the Russians said they wouldn't have attended, even if invited. So there's your answer. 

Don't forget, it's all about the headlines to draw you in when it comes to media! 🤪

10 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, you didn't read far enough because the article clearly states that the Russians said they wouldn't have attended, even if invited. So there's your answer. 

Don't forget, it's all about the headlines to draw you in when it comes to media! 🤪

You missed my point altogether.

8 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

You missed my point altogether.

Your point is clear, as is your lack of knowledge on international diplomacy.

10 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

No, I didn't! 

I guess English isn’t your first language.

This is what was reported: Russia snubs invitation to an event they weren’t invited to.

This is what I wrote; “Or just another example of western journalism?”

You can’t snub an invitation to an event that you haven’t been invited to. No need to make up BS reasons like international diplomacy etc. Just correct and proper use of the English language.

Edited by Gweiloman

44 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

This is what was reported: Russia snubs invitation to an event they weren’t invited to.

You can’t snub an invitation to an event that you haven’t been invited to. No need to make up BS reasons like international diplomacy etc. Just correct and proper use of the English language.

Russia snubs invitation to an event they weren’t officially invited to,

On 6/12/2024 at 11:49 PM, pacovl46 said:

Even a 3rd grader would have sent them an invitation anyway.  Just to CYA.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Take some reading comprehension classes and then read my first reply again. Maybe then you'll get it. 

That's the way these things work, it's all about the optics.  Russia wasn't invited precisely because they might have attended, and the diplomatic cirque-jirque wouldn't be successful.

If only your allies, or those you've bribed or extorted, show up, you get to claim "unanimous (or else)" agreement on all proposals.

It's similar to the US (in)Justice Department indicting Chinese or Russians on extraterritorial charges.  Important announcements are made to the press, alleged criminals remain in their home countries, and we get to claim victory.

Only sometimes it doesn't work out.  Sometimes the indicted Russian or Chinese (or legal representative) goes to court to fight the charges, and then suddenly all the evidence is classified for "national security" reasons, prosecution requests endless postponements, and the case disappears from the news, to be replaced by other squirrels.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1