I made a pretty big mistake at work.

8 minutes ago, MichaelJackson said:

Yes I have researched on how to fix and working on it now. Thanks for the advice, mate!

Hope you get it sorted, then it will be a good learning experience.

Backup, backup, backup 🙂 and Google is your friend.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, MichaelJackson said:

I messed up a client's website. And now we are having trouble fixing it and reverting it.

Install the last backup and tell the client you are sorry, you can't do the job. In case the client paid already anything return all the money immediately.

And if you know someone who might be able to fix the problem recommend that person to your client.

• Love It 1

I've built many Wordpress sites over the years. Some as quickly as within an hour or two. It depends on how much customization of the theme, unique content, and installing and configuring of plugins is involved. So building a WordPress site isn't always as large of an undertaking as it might seem. 

If you have access to the client's original site theme and all of their unique content (photos/graphics/text) then rebuilding it may not take that long. Especially if you can still see the site running properly on the front end. Then much easier to duplicate it and then tweak it as needed once it's up and running. 

I'm not sure how a site can run properly on the font end though if the back end is gone as you say. The backend might still be there, but maybe one of the plugins is damaged and preventing you from logging in to the site's dashboard. I'm not sure what the real problem is, because you didn't elaborate, but the site might be in tact on the backend and perhaps you only need to disable all the plugins temporarily by changing the plugins folder name to something else in order to prevent WordPress from accessing them and then you can login and access the main core dashboard again to see what's going on. 

Also, not sure if the MySQL database is damaged or not. That's where the bulk of all the content, user data, settings, and other necessary information for the WordPress site to function is stored. If all of this sounds unfamiliar to you then you shouldn't be tinkering with it at all. 

There are also a couple of plugins for creating backups that I always have running. UpdraftPlus is one if the best. Duplicator is good too. And there are others. 

The fact that you didn't make a backup or clone the site first, and caused this damage to happen, suggests you don't really know much about Wordpress. 

If that's the case then you are probably in over your head and are going to need to find a good Wordpress site developer to try and recreate the site for you. 

I've used some programmers that I've found on Fiverr for some small customized modifications I needed help with in the past. Maybe you can find someone through that community if you don't know who else to turn to. 

In my opinion though this isn't a time to sit around and feel sorry for yourself or to feel bad about what happened. It's a fruitless waste of time. What's done is done. You need to get your head straight and figure out how you are going to be able to recreate or fix what was damaged and/or lost. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I think WordPress has a way to roll back to earlier versions without a back-up ....

https://duplicator.com/restore-wordpress-site-to-previous-date-without-backup/

Screenshot_20240611_161622_Chrome.jpg

you may have saved this guy's bacon..well done !

I wasted a wordpress site as an amaetur...I just hate dabbling in that stuff even at the gui tick box level or plug-ins that wonk something.

I guess AI will soon be able to handle much of the coding and repair stuff soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Install the last backup and tell the client you are sorry, you can't do the job. In case the client paid already anything return all the money immediately.

And if you know someone who might be able to fix the problem recommend that person to your client.

First get help from an expert.

The last backup could be 2 years old and cause a lot of data loss, which might not be necessary. 

27 minutes ago, MichaelJackson said:

I made a small change in the WordPress Settings in which I changed the URL of the Wordpress site by accident. Now I am trying to get it back.

this should be an easy fix, unless that's not the only issue.

39 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

First get help from an expert.

The last backup could be 2 years old and cause a lot of data loss, which might not be necessary. 

There should be a full backup of the site before he started to work on it.

If he didn't even create that backup, then he should better look for another job. 

59 minutes ago, MichaelJackson said:

That's the only issue, tgw.

I guess the username and password have not changed?

Assuming you still have access to the Wordpress site you would just enter general settings and reset the url?

Or the hosting company would be able to assist?

https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-change-your-wordpress-site-urls-step-by-step/

Edited by Thailand
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

Op, remember this

The true definition of an expert , is someone who made a lot of mistakes,  but learned from them.

Ps, Get over it and move on,  and up.

I am surely thus duly qualified to be an expert ....... in a number of fields .😉   Hey,  but at least when i comment here on this site i have firsthand experience on the subjects at hand .   

• Haha 1