Kodi boxes

carlyai

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Hardly. 

When it comes to electronics, you get what you pay for. 

Some may like to put up with buffering and having to restart all the time, but not me.  I pay a bit more, because I want a better experience.  Simple as that. 

Soulnd like you bought a cheap and nasty Android box or some other hardware not fit for purpose.

No buffering, (unless the Internet connection is inadequate) nor restarting here.

But you paid more so that you could run Windows. Understood. 4x times more.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ignis said:

The reason why streaming is easier and smoother on your computer is because your computer is more powerful than your android box, Because streaming is so intensive, it affects the quality of how the stream goes. Usually for most, it cuts your framerates in half. Your android box are not as powerful as your computer and probably don't have a dedicated graphics card, so they have a hard time streaming.

Rubbish. It's all done on a chip these days. Your high end cpu on your mini or regular pc have nothing to do with it unless your motherboard is so old it doesn't have the right chips. Ok then, go out and update your motherboard for thousands of baht or get the latest android tv box for 1400 baht with all the new chips built in every couple of years. I know the choice I'll make.

• Love It 2

14 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

But what if, just if, there was a device that could do both, and do it better, and faster, and for longer, even over future android OS releases? 

But what if you didn't need "both," whatever that means, and the 4x cheaper box did all you wanted--stream and play media files--indefinitely even without future Android releases? And with the savings you could, over the next 20 years, buy 3 more of the latest boxes, latest OS and updates, better hardware--rather than being stuck with an obsolete Windows box you didn't need in the first place? Well, duh. No brainer. 🙂

12 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

The decent android boxes are well over 1400 baht, so, for a lousy "4x" as you put it, a mini PC does it all, and long after developers stop supporting the current android OS. 

No, B1400 is sufficient for a "decent" Android box. If you don't need "all," then it's foolish to waste money better spent elsewhere.

Android program updates continue to support older versions of the Android OS, same as Windows programs still support older Windows versions. And the older program may not even need updating. 🙂 

Besides, over 20 years one can just buy 3 more updated Android boxes while you're still huffing that old mini PC.

Some may like to put up with buffering and having to restart all the time, but not me. 

Dunno what you're banging on about. Buffering w/ "decent" Android boxes is minimal and depends, just as with your beloved mini PC, on the speed and reliability of your internet connection and the servers accessed. No buffereing w/ local media files, of course. I never restart my Android box. It merely suspends, and instantly wakes up, on demand, using about 4-6 watts when on.🙂 But you probably power off and then boot up your clunky mini PC daily.

I have a mini PC and an android box because sometimes I run two sports streams at the same time, on two different screens in my lounge roo

Which makes no sense, as you could merely run two Android boxes for the purpose. What about your editing Word documents on your mini PC? Photoshop?🤣 Stuff a Windows box is really useful for? We ain't hearing anything about the Windows-specific uses.

4x of not much is not much.  It's laughable. 

ANF Posters love to spend other posters' money. May we then give you our bank account numbers by PM so that you can deposit the laughable amount in our accounts? Why not?

So, if the OP has an old laptop laying around, repurpose it and save 1400 baht. 

Could IF, who cares? But the OP requested an Android box, a request you've ignored in favor of a superflous, irrelevant solution. I have an old laptop lying around, useful when I travel, but my Android box is perfect for its purpose. 

Maybe the OP didn't know android can run on a PC.

But he surely knows Kodi does natively, not to mention similar media programs. I know that well, but I still much prefer an inexpensive Android box connected to my TV. Or TVs, as I use an HDMI cable splitter for display on two TVs.

Maybe when he found out, the OP thought, "Wow.  I'll just put Kodi on my everyday PC and run a HDMI cable to my TV."  Got that? 

But now he's found out yet is happy with his Android boxes, just as I am. Go figure. 😉 

1400 baht is not mid range.  It's rubbish range.

A quick search on Lazada will debunk that nonsense. At a glance I see boxes from B309 up to B7000 and more, with a larger number falling into the B900 range. OP's happy with B1000 boxes. I have one of the latter myself and it's been quite OK for 2 years already, after a bit of initial configuration. Right now the TOX is looking good for a current purchase--in the mid range, as I noted. 

Mini PC's have come down in price to the point they can compete with android boxes, but offer a lot more. 

They aren't competitive, valuewise, for the narrow particular purpose the OP specified. The "more" isn't needed, so no point in wasting money. I wonder how many times you need to hear that before you can exit your usual bickering loop?

I merely suggested a mini PC as an option to consider. 

But then endlessly argued its superiority, when it's actually NOT superior for the OP's particular purpose. YAWN.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1