Thailand Grapples with Growing Number of Foreign Beggars

webfact

19 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

in canada migrants legal or not are given clothes, a place to stay, healthcare and a monthly welfare check which pays more depending on how many kids they have. while real canadians are more and more forced out on the streets and this is what our dear gvt does to the homeless

in canada uk migrants legal or not are given clothes, a place to stay, healthcare and a monthly welfare check which pays more depending on how many kids they have. while real canadians brits are more and more forced out on the streets and this is what our dear gvt does to the homeless

Did you see what I did there?

21 hours ago, ravip said:

How can one apply to be a beggar in the US?

Sounds very attractive - rather than doing a regular job LOL

Very easy... just walk across the southern border and use the CBP One mobil app ..or if you don't have a mobil device. Just go to the check point and say. "Joe" sent me !

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden, Thai police, Immigration and local municipality inspectors  can't

control a bunch of beggars and are all at the a loss how to solve the problem, all the aforementioned have no problems

in controlling all and every aspects of business both legal and illegal everywhere but they can't control bunch of

illegal beggars...

And it's not like they are hard to find...  pick any BTS station or flyover near a mall ..   low hanging fruit

Just like I do not ever feed a soi dog, I also do not cfontribute to a begger.

If they are actually Thais down on their luck i may buy them a sandwich, but not money 

ever goes from my pocket to theirs.

3 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

one guy who crawled along face down with a cup, he was deformed, around pratunam

There was a similar, perhaps same guy, around Asoke BTS elevated walkway.  I rarely give money to beggars.  I gave that dude 1000B.  He looked at me like I was from outer space.  He looked to me like he really could use a bit of help. 

Better to donate to a charity doing field work with homeless folks, in general.  

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

in canada uk migrants legal or not are given clothes, a place to stay, healthcare and a monthly welfare check which pays more depending on how many kids they have. while real canadians brits are more and more forced out on the streets and this is what our dear gvt does to the homeless

You just confirmed that you are from a country that looks down on its 5th 6th 7th 8th etc generation citizens and seeks to replace them with welfare asylum seekers who contribute nothing and just take from those who do. In canada i would be accused of hate speech for what i just wrote. So the ultra woke trudeau gvt has covered all the loose ends and has made sure we must put up and shut up. The quebec gvt is blaming our housing shortage and rent hikes on immigration. We have a 500k immigrant quota a year to meet.

Point is, the beggars in canada are not as here... they are multi generational canadians and the way to get rid of them is to submerge them with tickets they cant pay then send them to jail and give them a criminal record making sure they will never be able to hold another job

What about you?

Sound familiar?

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Yagoda said:

I dont give to beggars. I do give to the coffin foundation once a year

That's a worthy thing to do.  Wife and I use to buy coffins for 500 THB per pop - when I lived in Chiang Mai.  Now we just support two temples here so coffins are sorta just baked into the cake so to speak.

Begging in the streets. And the administrative attempts to stop it.

Prohibition of begging in the streets.

Looks like a long standing issue here.

I recalled the previous regime also addressed this phenomenon.

Thai Junta to Issue New Law Banning Begging (khaosodenglish.com)

One interesting fact: Huge differences in the  Perception of  Beggers  from country to country.

In a place like India, it is regarded  legal occupation: having  a right to operate as the professional money solicitor in the public place(road and squared). 

Also entitled to the leftover food in the public markets; the first one to be given such stuff.

Among the first world, the USA legally approves the act of begging; on the grounds of the Freedom of Speech(1st Amendment to their constitution).

While it is illegal in a country like Japan.

Their constitution states that people of their country Must:

Get education. Work and Pay Tax.

And their police force often keeps blind eyes even when the homeless seeks help from the savage attacks by the strangers in Main Stream Life.

Saying you are not a tax payer(therefore unable to seek help from us).

Until such incidences lead to the brutal murder case...

Edited by black tabby12345

Was up in Bangkok recently i couldn’t believe how many homeless Thais were roughing it on the streets I counted over a 100 within metres of the hotel where I was staying ! 

On 6/12/2024 at 6:36 AM, novacova said:

In the US foreign beggars are given credit cards and hotel suites. US citizen beggars are sent to the streets.

What a load of carp

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/12/2024 at 11:21 AM, Shocked farang said:

For the people who keep comparing Thailand with their native countries, I'd say that if you show up as a tourist in Thailand, you are supposed to be able to support yourself without working or begging. About two weeks ago I saw a foreign beggar in Jomtien (beach near Pattaya), he really looked pathetic. Everyone in Thailand is OK with seeing a Thai or another Asian looking person asking for something but not a farang, ever! Just call someone back home and get an airline ticket. Stop being a fool in Asia. 

Foolishness has no boundaries.

Stop being a fool in Asia, but go home and be normal (fool)?

9 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Was up in Bangkok recently i couldn’t believe how many homeless Thais were roughing it on the streets I counted over a 100 within metres of the hotel where I was staying ! 

Really? TBH no one should be surprised.

This homeless thing is happening world wide, AND not only in the 3rd world.

For example, just do a search and see how many 1000's are homeless in the US (worlds #1 economy) ... Sad but a hard fact.

We humans talk about humanity... but never walk the talk.

22 hours ago, YouAgain said:

There was a similar, perhaps same guy, around Asoke BTS elevated walkway.  I rarely give money to beggars.  I gave that dude 1000B.  He looked at me like I was from outer space.  He looked to me like he really could use a bit of help. 

Better to donate to a charity doing field work with homeless folks, in general.  

Probably same guy I saw him in Sukhomvit as well, so someone must move him around, he was probably the worst case I've seen in BK ,but have not seen him for a while, maybe he died, he would be at peace then, poor soul. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 9:23 PM, ravip said:

Foolishness has no boundaries.

Stop being a fool in Asia, but go home and be normal (fool)?

I didn't say that, go home and start doing your homework on managing a budget. Travelling always involve a budget, if you can't afford it, then don't leave home. Normal or abnormal isn't the question here. Be abnormal

if you want but don't become a beggar. That's not cool to place your survival on the hands of the host society that kindly accepted your deceptive promisse that you would be a tourist!

2 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

I didn't say that, go home and start doing your homework on managing a budget. Travelling always involve a budget, if you can't afford it, then don't leave home. Normal or abnormal isn't the question here. Be abnormal

if you want but don't become a beggar. That's not cool to place your survival on the hands of the host society that kindly accepted your deceptive promisse that you would be a tourist!

That's not cool to place your survival on the hands of the host society that kindly accepted your deceptive promisse that you would be a tourist!

Agree 100%.

On 6/12/2024 at 4:07 AM, Chris Daley said:

If it wasn't for the house back in the UK I would be like him.  It happens so fast.

My mom and I put our money together to get a house.  Best decision we made.  Rest of the family ran away like rats down a sewer.

Your stupid. By a house in Kanada. Way more money. You can retire in like 4 months. Brhhhhh.

On 6/13/2024 at 3:53 PM, kiwikeith said:

Probably same guy I saw him in Sukhomvit as well, so someone must move him around, he was probably the worst case I've seen in BK ,but have not seen him for a while, maybe he died, he would be at peace then, poor soul. 

I call BS. Never saw any beggars the hole time i was in Tailand.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:35 AM, ravip said:

Really? TBH no one should be surprised.

This homeless thing is happening world wide, AND not only in the 3rd world.

For example, just do a search and see how many 1000's are homeless in the US (worlds #1 economy) ... Sad but a hard fact.

We humans talk about humanity... but never walk the talk.

This is part of Clous Shwabs plan to bankrupt the middle class and make them eat bugs. While the Claus Shwabs of the world eat prime rib and fly on privet jets.

On 6/12/2024 at 6:26 PM, Accidental Tourist said:

Old news... begging in Thailand goes on since ages. Foreign beggar's are mainly from Cambodia and Myanmar controlled by gangs of foreign or Thai nationality. So why too bring this up again when the authority failed so badly?

The noun "beggar" need not be treated like a possessive with an apostrophe "s" on the end.  It's "beggars" -- no apostrophe necessary,  my friend.

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2024 at 3:31 PM, NanLaew said:

This is again part of Klous Shwabs plan. He has eager proteges in both Kanada and the You Kay. "You will eat dirt and be happy"

On 6/12/2024 at 7:32 AM, Steve80 said:

I recently got approached by an American man who was wearing some very strange clothing and sticking out like a sore thumb, inside Terminal 21 in Bangkok who asked me for money. He mentioned he used to be a teacher in Thailand, so I am guessing he is still staying there on that visa but now begging as he has no income.

I call bullship.  Nothing inside Terminally Ill 21 except South Koreans and Chinese package tourists spending up a storm. And candy corn.

On 6/12/2024 at 3:19 PM, blazes said:

Clearly, you have absolutely no idea what is going on in the US under the Biden regime. Estimates vary from 8 to 15 million illegals have just crossed the southern border with little or no hindrance.

Have you not heard Eric Adams, Mayor of NY, appealing for help from the feds because of all the city-owned spaces that have been turned over to all the illegals (or international beggars, might be a suitable term).  Have you not noted that nearly every so-called "sanctuary city" has found how inconvenient it can be to be offering sanctuary!

Your arrogance needs to be tempered by some intelligence.

With all due respect Mr Adams needs to get his head fastened on straight. Send all those so called illegals up to Kanada, where 3 squares, furnished accommodation and 18 flavors of gelato are all but guaranteed on arrival. How did the guy become mayor?  President Zhou Biden is just an easy scapegoat.

4 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

I didn't say that, go home and start doing your homework on managing a budget.....

Why? Does your home kountry government act responsibly and "manage" its budget? Of course not! It spends willy nilly and without restraint (easy when it's other people's money) and always with the excuse "Corvid 19 did this." Grow the vuck up. Leadership comes top down and at the top is nothin but weasels.

• Sad 1

On 6/12/2024 at 12:55 AM, spidermike007 said:

Thailand has done little to nothing to improve itself, or address the problems plaguing the nation long before covid, so they now seem to be attracting alot of low end, and low quality tourists. In the rush to garner higher visitor numbers, they are attracting quantity over quality. Did they not see all these potential problems coming? Thailand is no longer attracting very many Western tourists for a dozen very good reasons. Right now it is predominantly Malaysian, Indian, Arab, Chinese, and Russian. One could argue that these are relatively low quality tourists, in terms of the amounts of money that they spend. Sure you have a few wealthy Russians and some wealthy Chinese, but most are lower to middle income and don't spend alot. And some are downright poor.

This process will not be reversed until the authorities wake up and make some sacrifices such as lowering luxury taxes, lowering wine taxes, cleaning up the air, making the highways safer, allowing more private air travel, helicopter travel, high-speed trains and alternatives to the totally choked and extremely hazardous highways.

When I was living and working in India I realized that many of the beggars were doing this professionally or working for professionals who were collecting a significant amount of money from their work. So I started carrying around a daypack with fruit inside it, and when I would be approached by a beggar I would offer them a banana or an orange. The professionals would look at me with a great deal of disdain, whereas the real beggars would accept the fruit with gratitude as they were truly hungry. It worked!

I was approached by a pimped beggar outside a mini mart. Didn't hand over cash; went inside, bought a few baguettes, came back outside, offered said baguettery to the pro/pimped beggar and was immediately refused with a hand gesture of rubbing fingers and thumbs -- i.e. I want money. So I said "Fck you then!" and walked off.

The pimps are the ones that if we could reanimate Bronson need to be "re-educated."

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Woke to Sounds of Horking said:

This is again part of Klous Shwabs plan. He has eager proteges in both Kanada and the You Kay. "You will eat dirt and be happy"

Are you a partner/follower/promoter of Klous Shwabs?

Edited by ravip

On 6/12/2024 at 6:36 AM, novacova said:

In the US foreign beggars are given credit cards and hotel suites. US citizen beggars are sent to the streets.

The same thing happens in Britain. 

On 6/13/2024 at 11:30 AM, crazykopite said:

Call it the Prayuth Decimation. There is a reason why army rule nearly always fails, with regard to economic policy.