Renowned Thai school shifts to partial online teaching, 500+ fail test

webfact

45 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

no fail policy has been here forever... nothing new. your friend doesnt know what he is talking about. it is a cultural face thing here and not about funding and all the kids and parents here take it for granted. also, most thai and foreign teachers rather than wasting time retesting over and over just fix the books and give the nemrods 50% passing grade

you know nothing.

• Thanks 2

This is very difficult to evaluate if we don't have the statistics of students who did not use the new method.  We cannot compare without these figures so we cannot judge whether the new method is successful or not. 

• Agree 1

On 6/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, new2here said:

I agree.. I DO think online can SUPPLEMENT a physical presence teacher, but for lower education kids (call me middle school to even high school age) I think they really need that physical “contact” between teachers and students. 

Oh dear there is enough physical contact by teachers in schools already, Presence is a lot difference to Contact. Helpful Verbal Interaction is what they really need.

Edited by brianthainess

On 6/13/2024 at 9:26 AM, webfact said:

resulting in over 500 students in Grade 6 failing their exams.

The system is working! It's great when a plan comes to fruition!

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You didn't pass math at school, that is for sure.

you obviously never had to teach kids and administer tests to them... another doubting thomas talking through his hat

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

Very eloquent.

shut your clapper jackass. you flap your mouth about things yhat you dont know. go back yo your sand box... eloquent is mouthing off to things you dont know then baiting .... troll

4 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

shut your clapper jackass. you flap your mouth about things yhat you dont know. go back yo your sand box... eloquent is mouthing off to things you dont know then baiting .... troll

I am very good at math.

On 6/13/2024 at 9:44 AM, Pouatchee said:

Having much experience in thai schools i can tell you that the numbers are pretty much spot on. Thai kids almost NEVER prepare for tests and the parents are too busy... cough... sputter... almost keel over... to help supervise their kids. Why would anyone care if they got a free pass before in their time

That's the entire issue yeah, parents here expect the school to do the 'parenting' job as well. So a hybrid model is doomed to fail in that case, until they change (never).

• Agree 1

Any grading system that allows a 50% as passing is doomed to failure. A "high" grade (as stated in the article) or what is considered an "A" does not mean a 93% or greater but what was previously a "C" with a score of 80%. If you applied the universal standard of minimum 70% to "pass" the failure rate would probably be at least double. Thailand would be better served by upping the standards instead of "passing" those that are lost.

Any grading system that allows a 50% as passing is doomed to failure. A "high" grade (as stated in the article) or what is considered an "A" does not mean a 93% or greater but what was previously a "C" with a score of 80%. If you applied the universal standard of minimum 70% to "pass" the failure rate would probably be at least double. Thailand would be better served by upping the standards instead of "passing" those that are lost.

Re: Here are the exam outcomes:

- **Thai Language**: 309 students failed, 335 passed.
- **Mathematics**: 264 students failed, 379 passed.
- **Science**: 505 students failed, 139 passed.
- **Social Studies**: 451 students failed, 194 passed.
- **English**: 315 students failed, 330 passed.

So metrics are everything in a situation like this.

Go back and provide the last 4 years of the face to face teaching methods, student pass / fail metrics.

Then we can see if the real value of students capabilities versus the two systems.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Darius1 said:

Unless the difficulty of the questions is known, why would you assume 50% is bad? 

Private schools are no better than public schools in Thailand. People are simply paying for a passing grade in private. The teachers in private schools aren't even suppose to tell the students when their wrong (real story from my friend who is a teachers aid in a private school in Bangkok). 

Just now, Cabradelmar said:

Private schools are no better than public schools in Thailand. People are simply paying for a passing grade in private. The teachers in private schools aren't even suppose to tell the students when their wrong (real story from my friend who is a teachers aid in a private school in Bangkok). 

How many of your children went to school in Thailand? My boy is getting a great education, much better than most kids in the US would get. 

• Haha 2

On 6/14/2024 at 5:01 PM, brianthainess said:

Oh dear there is enough physical contact by teachers in schools already, Presence is a lot difference to Contact. Helpful Verbal Interaction is what they really need.

Sure.. I use the word “contact” in the broadest context.. to include physical presence, verbal interaction etc.

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How many of your children went to school in Thailand? My boy is getting a great education, much better than most kids in the US would get. 

Why do so many Thais with money send their kids to the US, UK, and Australia for education then?

15 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why do so many Thais with money send their kids to the US, UK, and Australia for education then?

Why do so many Americans, Britons and Australians with money send their kids to Thailand to study? 

The big failing with Thai education is English, and going to university in will help a lot with that and it will give them a leg-up if they want to work for an international company. They can also get work permits while they are there and get good work experience. What percentage of "Thais with money" do you think send their kids to the US, UK and Australia anyway? I'm betting it's small. 

And unless they are sending them to a boarding school for K-12, they still have to rely on their Thai education to pass the placement tests to schools abroad, correct? 

I would not argue that STEM programs at universities in the US are not better than the STEM programs at universities in Thailand, I do not think they are, but for anything else, I doubt it. I know that K-12 public schools in California are horrendous, and the K-12 schools my boy went to in Thailand were excellent. 

There are some great K-12 public schools in the US, but not many. Why do so many Americans "with money" send their kids to private schools if the schools in the US are so good? 

• Agree 1

Well, foreigners *teaching* English is an absolute fail. That's especially the case for women. Vast majority of this lot tosses a worksheet at the students, allows copying and then assigns completion grade.

• Confused 1

On 6/13/2024 at 9:26 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Students at a renowned school in the Bangkok Asoke district are facing significant challenges after the school transitioned to a hybrid online teaching model, resulting in over 500 students in Grade 6 failing their exams.

This shift was intended to modernise the school's educational approach but has sparked widespread concern among students, parents, and teachers.

The school implemented the hybrid teaching system at the beginning of Term 1, blending online and in-person classes. Students were required to prepare for their exams through online resources, with the school aiming to enhance flexibility and self-directed learning. However, this new method quickly revealed its shortcomings.

Parents disclosed that students were not given video lectures but were instead required to submit assignments online, a system that many found ineffective. During exams, students had to sit for five subjects in a single day, with no days off beforehand. This intense schedule left them little to no time for adequate study and preparation, heightening stress levels and causing anxiety.

The school's grading system, which required students to score above 80% to receive a top grade, exacerbated the situation. The focus on exam performance, despite the lack of effective teaching methods, led to disappointing results in key subjects.

Here are the exam outcomes:

- **Thai Language**: 309 students failed, 335 passed.
- **Mathematics**: 264 students failed, 379 passed.
- **Science**: 505 students failed, 139 passed.
- **Social Studies**: 451 students failed, 194 passed.
- **English**: 315 students failed, 330 passed.

Parents and students have expressed significant dissatisfaction with the new system. Many students feel like they were used as test subjects and had their final year opportunities compromised.

In response, a group of parents and student representatives has submitted a petition demanding changes to the grading system and requesting financial assistance to cover additional home learning expenses, including water, electricity, and internet bills.

A spokesperson from the Grade 6 student council said, "We're not demanding to harm the school we love, but to preserve the rights of students who have all been affected." The school administration has yet to respond to these concerns, but the debate continues to gain momentum.

File photo courtesy:  boudewijnhuijgens

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Anyone know the school?

Prasarnmit??

Original news article link?

DM if necessary. Thx

Edited by BusNo8

On 6/16/2024 at 11:02 AM, Yellowtail said:

Unless the difficulty of the questions is known, why would you assume 50% is bad? 

Because it is. I what world to you live in? The exam should be achievable with reasonable amount of study and effort.

Edited by BusNo8

On 6/13/2024 at 9:48 AM, JeffersLos said:

So a student that scores 81% gets the same grade as a student that gets 100%?

Yes and no. The grade of 80 and 100 are submitted. On the official transcript they both net a 4.0.

Yes, it's a laff