How to avoid an unwanted ladyboy encounter?

There are definite signs that others have mentioned.

My suggestion is simple - don't go to places where they are! That is Pattaya, Phuket and places well known to most in Bangkok- especially in Bars.

As a general point, it is unlikely you will find a suitable woman for a meaningful relationship in bars.

Even though I have no relevant experience in mistaking ladyboys for "real" women, I feel confident that some reasonable conversation would surely reveal some matters that didn't "add up"

Good luck in not ending up (UP) there!

5 hours ago, Alpha84 said:

I'm excited about exploring SE Asian culture in Thailand and reconnecting with some of my own Asian roots. I am also interested in meeting some local women if that's at all possible. However, I've heard that it can sometimes be challenging to distinguish between Thai ladyboys and real Thai women. 

I want to ensure that I don't accidentally end up in a situation where I mistake a ladyboy for a real woman, that is if I am going to attempt to engage with the opposite gender over there at all.

Reasonable question; and yes, some katoys (ladyboys) can be so well made that it's difficult to see if a real woman or not.

My friend that initially introduced me to Thailand's night life said: "First, always look at their feet, if too large: don't! Secondly, if she appears to be too perfect and too much lady: don't!"

Most of the times it's however quite clear to see when it's a not real lady; often both the voice and the appearance. Perhaps also being sober might help; I see quite a number of non sober foreign men walking hand in hand with a ladyboy, and I'm not sure if the knows it – however, it might also be that I'm not aware of what amazing experience I might be missing, by being a boring straight...:whistling:

6 hours ago, Alpha84 said:

I want to ensure that I don't accidentally end up in a situation where I mistake a ladyboy for a real woman, that is if I am going to attempt to engage with the opposite gender over there at all. 

I find it VERY hard to believe anyone was ever really mistaken a ladyboy for a real woman. My guess is that that's what they say out of embarrassment if caught....

16 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I find it VERY hard to believe anyone was ever really mistaken a ladyboy for a real woman. My guess is that that's what they say out of embarrassment if caught....

I was fooled once. I've always been a sucker for a woman in a red dress, and this was a very fetching person out front of a Soi 6 bar that I had thought only hired those with an honest-to-gawd vagina. I invited this looker inside and bought us each a drink, then I very politely asked "man or woman?" "Man" was the reply. Again, I politely declined any further P4P talk, but we spent a few minutes chatting, then we each went our separate way, no one the worse for the interaction.

As many have said here, just ask them. Be polite, and you don't even need to buy them a drink first.

3 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

then I very politely asked "man or woman?" "Man" was the reply. Again, I politely declined any further P4P talk, but we spent a few minutes chatting, then we each went our separate way, no one the worse for the interaction.

Must have been quite a romantic moment .

Was you gazing into his eyes lustfully when you spoke to him ?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I was fooled once. I've always been a sucker for a woman in a red dress, and this was a very fetching person out front of a Soi 6 bar that I had thought only hired those with an honest-to-gawd vagina. I invited this looker inside and bought us each a drink, then I very politely asked "man or woman?" "Man" was the reply. Again, I politely declined any further P4P talk, but we spent a few minutes chatting, then we each went our separate way, no one the worse for the interaction.

As many have said here, just ask them. Be polite, and you don't even need to buy them a drink first.

Well, you weren't really fooled, were you? Obviously you suspected, and you asked to be sure.

24 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Well, you weren't really fooled, were you? Obviously you suspected, and you asked to be sure.

She looked too good to be true. Alas, it was so. 

Sniff sniff. 🤪

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

You probably think they look like the typical tall man in a wig. Years ago I bar fined the best girl in a Patpong agogo and I realised it was an LB in the room.... i took my friend back to the same agogo the next night and pointed to her and he had no idea it was a ladyboy, body same woman, natural breasts

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

As others have said, just ask them.  If the lady is a ladyboy, she will tell you.  On the other hand, if she is really a lady, she may feel a bit insulted that you couldn't tell!

7 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Just ask them. They don't mind. They'd rather it be up front.

Don't you mean.."behind"    lol

If they look and dress better than a real woman, that’s your clue.

The same dudes talking macho on the internet will be in soi 6/1 at 3am as_ up face down.

Guaranteed! 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Alpha84 said:

I'm excited about exploring SE Asian culture in Thailand and reconnecting with some of my own Asian roots. I am also interested in meeting some local women if that's at all possible. However, I've heard that it can sometimes be challenging to distinguish between Thai ladyboys and real Thai women. 

A lot depends on excactly what you mean by 'meeting some local women'. If you are being polite and what you actually mean is that you intend visiting one of the 'entertainment areas' - then you almost certainly won't have a problem. 

Ladyboys working in those areas are pretty easy to spot and you'll quicky see what I mean.  There are various physical features and mannerisms, most have been described here but the one big giveaway is the constant flicking of their hair and looking in the mirror. They also quite often have a 'cackling' voice and its fairly obvious that they are trying to sound like a female. However, quite a lot of real Thai girls can often have deeper voices than their Western countreparts.

They generally hang around in groups and are a lot more pushy than the working girls. A word of caution, Ladyboys will often grab you as you walk past - don't react, just keep on walking.  As has been said - most will tell you what they are but if you end up with a Ladyboy in your room that knows you haven't realised, they have been known to claim they are on their period so can only relieve you in another way.

If you are talking about dating, that is where you might have a problem.  Again many are upfront about it and most are obvious - others will tell you when you contact them.  There are one or two though that would fool any of us and some seem to think that because they've had the full 'change' - they don't have to tell you.

An ex of mine had a friend who was a ladyboy - living and working openly in Thai society as many do.  However this one was small, had normal looking feminine features, didn't behave more girly than a real girl and had a normal female voice. I was with my ex for around 6 months before she told me this friend was not a girl - I couldn't believe it.

I don't know if it still exists but there used to be a sort of 'quiz website' with lots of photos of ladyboys on it mixed in with real girls. You had to tick the ones you thought were ladyboys - I never saw anyone get it 100% right.

No way is this a definite but if you are looking at dating sites and a 'girl's' height is listed, start looking more closely if the 'girl' is over 173cm.

Edited by MangoKorat

Your question has always been a big concern of mine, too. So, like you, I researched and prepared diligently to avoid such a situation. Thankfully, after 2 years in Asia this process has worked very well for me. A few key points:

1. If the person is just TOO good looking (almost perfect), then you likely are dealing with a ladyboy.

2. Always ask right at the beginning, "Are you lady or ladyboy? Ladyboys look exactly like real women so I can't tell by looking." Put that into Google Translate and show them in Thai (or whatever the local language is). Some women used to get offended suggesting that I thought they looked like a ladyboy, so by adding that second sentence it assures her that it isn't her looking like a guy buy rather the guys today are so good at looking like a girl that you need to ask to be sure. They will be honest 99% of the time, so ask at the very beginning to avoid spending any unnecessary money or time. If you sense any hostility to the question, you are dealing with a ladyboy.

3. The last (optional) step is to ask her to show you her national Thai ID card because you want to ensure she is of legal age since she looks young and you dont want any problems with the police. Even if the girl is 50 years old, it will make her feel good. The Thai national ID card lists the sex assigned at birth, so while she thinks you are looking at the birthdate for age, you really are looking at the sex for gender at birth.

Good luck, mate!

22 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

First check list is

Big hands

Big feet

Larger calves

Adams apple

None of these are definite, just a hint.

Main one that I recommend - a very sexy walk.

The guys practice that one. Most girls do not.

Other signs are the effeminate waving of hands (Italian style) and limp wrists.

Enjoy your holiday.

You forgot "check for penis."

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You probably think they look like the typical tall man in a wig. Years ago I bar fined the best girl in a Patpong agogo and I realised it was an LB in the room.... i took my friend back to the same agogo the next night and pointed to her and he had no idea it was a ladyboy, body same woman, natural breasts

Yeah, right, natural breasts... Ha.

• Agree 1

On 6/13/2024 at 10:14 AM, Alpha84 said:

should I look for differences in certain features like lips, eyes, hands, feet, or something particular about body structure? Can the tone or pitch of someone's voice also be a reliable indicator of a Thai transgender versus a real Thai female?

Obviously, you are actually well-versed on the subject and your OP is likely just another first-post troll.

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

In 95% of the cases, if you ask them, they will be honest with you.

But then he'd have the potential problem of seriously upsetting a real girl, something to be avoided at all costs!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

20 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Rather than wonder the streets for a female connection,  you might try (even ahead of your trip) some Thai dating sites such as thaifriendly.com

Maybe some OP's can comment.

Yeah, no trannies on there!