Tourism Council's Plan to Combat Overtourism Revealed

webfact

Rwanda's foreign tourist surcharge of $1500.

And it is regarded An Excellent Policy, says the WTTC boss.

What a great idea.

Once Thailand goes for it, it will certainly solve the issue of Overtourism immediately. 

As many of the potential visitors will  Start to Avoid this country.

Mission accomplished at the expense of the livelihood of 10 millions people(relying foreign tourism here including their families) in Thailand.

Followed by the cost the govt dreads; political unrest(just like previous regime faced during Coronavirus border blockade).

Edited by black tabby12345

2 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

These guys can't make up their minds about whether they have too many or too few tourists.

Although this is the world tourism council, it can be a bit like that in Thailand. Come in come in all our welcome, no wait we want quality tourists not quantity, visa waivers for all, Phuket is too busy we don’t want more tourists, let’s double the waiver to attract more tourists. 🙄

I love it the economy is sliding down the toilet. And yes more and more sex workers are coming into the industry due to survival. The Thai brains trust letting the Russians in by the droves to dodge the war basically because it's the only country they can go to and it's ironic that must Russians don't like Asians but still better there then back home with Putin until it's all over and they be gone too . In time Thailand won't be the destination of tourism Vietnam is catching up quick. And TAT just siad they are 140 m B under qouter

Then the Thai government will change the expat tax laws to attract more retierees to prop up the country once again they are glueless also they may start to look at countries with people with a tad more respect  that still come and spend and live within the law unlike  the Russians, Africans, Indians and Chinese that  have raped  it and left. 

But as we all know it's no until its hell in a handbag they do something about it. 

8 hours ago, Patjqm said:

Simpson never was in Barcelona... 

Not sure that is true but it is irrelevant.

However the sins of one city don't justify or mitigate the sins of another.

Thailand is failing to learn from other people's mistakes.

I'm surprised to see the differences in major locations between this year and last year. The concentration of tourism in tourist "hotspots" is far greater than it has ever been - even before Covid. The overall numbers may be slightly less this year, but it looks as l=if they will exceed pre-Covid levels within the next 2 years. The alarming difference is the change in demographics which seems to have led to a massive concentration of the major tourist centres like Phuket, Pattaya and Samui. The outlying areas are being ignored as tourists choose to stay in one or two centres only

Edited by kwilco

7 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Tourism accounts for about 20% of the GDP and foreign tourism is about 12% of that.

And note that Thailand's economy did NOT crash and burn even when they completely shut down the (foreign) tourist industry completely and restricted domestic tourism as well.

Yes, a lot of businesses closed. A lot of people were out of work. A lot of people went back to their villages.

And a few weeks later most of them were working at other jobs. Maybe not as glamourous or well paying, but still work.

I know one girl who was a dancer in Baccara who went home and ended up working in a CP chicken factory.

So it's not like 20% of the country suddenly starved to death. And 2 years later everything was pretty much back to normal. (I haven't checked to see if that girl went back to Baccara or is still working in the chicken factory.)

Tourism is a huge revenue source for the country - but the "sex" part is NOT the main driving force - except for the old, fat, white single males from Western countries of course.

The same people who often think THEY are the only reason Thailand even has tourists because when they look around their favourite beer bar all they see is other old, fat, "white" guys like themselves and they have NO idea that there's 10s of MILLIONS of other tourists in the country that will likely never even go near a Pattaya beer bar on their holidays.

Hatred is strong here. Let's put things into prospective for you. The cream of sex workers in Thailand cater for the Thai Market. That's 90% leaving the 10% "the plain Jane's" for the gogo and street walkers. Such arrogance and hatred baffles me why some use this site. I have thai friend's who lost all because of covid. Selling off assets to stay afloat and feed ther families and I'm talking about rich Thai not the poor who alway live day by day. Debt, credit cards, gold and assets were all used up. And these were people who did not work or have businesses in tourist areas. Thailand is in a financial mess with the reserves gone., yes, those reserves  that we no longer here about the mighty foreign reserves!

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Tourism accounts for about 20% of the GDP and foreign tourism is about 12% of that.

And note that Thailand's economy did NOT crash and burn even when they completely shut down the (foreign) tourist industry completely and restricted domestic tourism as well.

Yes, a lot of businesses closed. A lot of people were out of work. A lot of people went back to their villages.

And a few weeks later most of them were working at other jobs. Maybe not as glamourous or well paying, but still work.

I know one girl who was a dancer in Baccara who went home and ended up working in a CP chicken factory.

So it's not like 20% of the country suddenly starved to death. And 2 years later everything was pretty much back to normal. (I haven't checked to see if that girl went back to Baccara or is still working in the chicken factory.)

Tourism is a huge revenue source for the country - but the "sex" part is NOT the main driving force - except for the old, fat, white single males from Western countries of course.

The same people who often think THEY are the only reason Thailand even has tourists because when they look around their favourite beer bar all they see is other old, fat, "white" guys like themselves and they have NO idea that there's 10s of MILLIONS of other tourists in the country that will likely never even go near a Pattaya beer bar on their holidays.

IMO, this and your previous post, are both spot-on.

"They" don't know what they want and various departments, whether Government or not are continuously shouting about tourism - sort of "he who shouts loudest and last, wins"

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It's the only driving force... just look at Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Nana, Soi Cowboy and the other thousands of dodgy Sois and karaoke bars...

No way. It might be the major driving force in the areas you mention, but have you travelled outside those areas and looked around you?

A lot of the Thai people in rural Thailand have no concept of what goes on in the tourist areas - some are actually quite shocked when they see it for the first time.

Whats the main point in your article?

Overtourism or......Airbnb? Or both I cant figure it out.....

After Tomas Hook bankruptcy and FTI group insolvency tourism industry suffer from .....clients ......particularly after corona period.......

Airbnb is the best solution and investment for our liberal financial landscape. We must accelerate developments in our new liberal environment of our economy and not slow them down by staying stuck in old models of limiting economy.

We should understand that when you have Deposit interest rates almost at zero levels then "smart money" is directed to Real Estate Investments mainly when you have fed up your civilians with billions benefits furthermore you have reached your economy at a level that civilians do not want further to go for work because they already  receive State billions benefits.

Our homes have been more expensive because construction materials have been skyrocketed after corona period.

In Munich (Germany) rent prices is above €30 sq/m and you can find to rent at prices above €20 sq/m outside in suburbs.

I will paste two -three day subsequent article from Handelsblatt German news to read it. (German language but you can use translator for your mother tongue language)

...............................................................................................................

Demolition excavators are removing the last vestiges of the former Munich nightlife institution. Global company Apple is already in the City and will be setting up its European Center for Chip Design.
Because not only is the iPhone maker massively expanding, the situation in Munich's already strained housing market is likely to become even more dire due to high-earning newcomers.
"New settlements from global companies such as Apple or Google will put enormous pressure on the Munich rental market due to high wages," predicts Thomas Meyer, co-founder and CEO of property management Wertgrund.

Source:

https://www.handelsblatt.com/finanzen/immobilien/immobilien-muenchen-unter-20-euro-miete-pro-quadratmeter-geht-kaum-etwas/100036966.html

...........................................................................................................

We should not underestimate the function of our modern economy mainly after Central Banks issue digital currencies.

Ιn periods of digital currencies low demand the clients will deposit their money in physical form deposits at the Banks.

But when you have Deposit Interest rates at zero almost level then all excess liquidity of money will be directed to Real Estate for profits.

Klaus Martin Schwab for those who owe money at Banks :

They will have nothing in their possession and they will be happy!

Edited by Paris333

Greed is the strongest force in the known universe, so my prediction is that those measures are doomed to fail.

It's kind of a self-regulating system though. If a destination gets too popular and becomes overcrowded, visitors will have a bad experience. Ultimately the destination will attract a bad reputation (overcrowded, overpriced, ...) and visitor numbers will plateau or drop.

• Agree 1

Thailand only understands one thing and that’s instant $. It was a little paradise in Asia , as was Bali, and look what happened there !!!  It’s destruction and no infrastructure all stemming from greed. They can say what they like, it’s been spoilt, and there’s no going back to the old days . The world is changing fast,  travel is more difficult due to rising expenses globally. I know an awful lot of people who have been to Thailand , some of them love it, some were disgusted and often disappointed. People tend to stay closer to home now , it’s cheaper, you have the western comfort and fixed prices. You have wonderful Italy , fantastic south of France, thousands of kms of coast line all around, Greece, Sicily, Capri, Sardinia, Spain , and all the culture and historical cities you could ever want. I’m sure most of the expats are fine with it all, they have their own homes and don’t usually use the tourist routes, myself I still come  as I enjoy a nice condo and pool for a few months and to see my friends. But as a tourist one Thai holiday would be enough today. Too much else to enjoy. 

TAT pull out all the stops and manipulate the figures to show what a good job they are doing, and then along come some do gooders from the WTTC trying to undermine all their good work! "Too many tourists? What on earth can they mean?" :unsure: 

15 hours ago, Caldera said:

Greed is the strongest force in the known universe, so my prediction is that those measures are doomed to fail.

It's kind of a self-regulating system though. If a destination gets too popular and becomes overcrowded, visitors will have a bad experience. Ultimately the destination will attract a bad reputation (overcrowded, overpriced, ...) and visitor numbers will plateau or drop.

I agree but I am sure that the bosses at TAT will be horrified!!!

19 hours ago, VBF said:

No way. It might be the major driving force in the areas you mention, but have you travelled outside those areas and looked around you?

A lot of the Thai people in rural Thailand have no concept of what goes on in the tourist areas - some are actually quite shocked when they see it for the first time.

It's like someone from a small village in Northern England going to Birmingham for the first time, and going to an area where all the men wear pyjamas in the street, and you can't see the women because they're all covered up from head to toe! 🙂 

• Haha 2

On 6/15/2024 at 8:11 AM, hotchilli said:

A few years back I traveled to Erawan waterfalls with Thai friends... 40 baht per Thai

me 400 baht...

My Thai friends were shocked and embarrassed at the price for me, 9 of them together only 360 baht.

I never returned... 

I wouldn't have even gone in

1 hour ago, fulhamster said:

I wouldn't have even gone in

I didn't want to spoil the day for 9 other people.

Having said that, none of them offered to chip-in... Thai are Thais when all said and done

Edited by hotchilli

On 6/14/2024 at 4:15 PM, Kerryd said:

Actually a lot of the customers in gogo bars are young thin Asian single males.

On 6/15/2024 at 6:54 AM, Pesche said:

Thailand has fantastic potential!

However, it is still thinking "the Thai way"

And how successful have they been doing it. That is why millions dream of moving here full time like I had done.

saying that Thailand doesn’t know a thing or two about tourism would be like saying it is too cold here. 

NO ONE speaks proper English!!

No one speaks English properly.

But Vietnam, the Philippines and many more will soon take over the market with very little efforts (i.e. they all speak English!) while Thailand WILL lose more and more Tourists because of wrong management...

Mate, I think you have lost the plot. This story is about having too many tourists, not about needing more. 
Vietnam and the Philippines don’t stand a chance. They never have, and they never will. When are you heading over?

• Agree 1

On 6/14/2024 at 6:33 PM, Gknrd said:

Thailand will curb tourism with its political  policies. No need to implement anything. 

10 years, a failed country basically.

Name a country that hasn't failed?  Your home country, perhaps? (Insert laughter)
There are 3x as many people on the planet as in 1950.  

On 6/14/2024 at 7:05 PM, Kerryd said:

On one hand they are whining about too many tourists coming here.

On the other hand, they are easing visa restrictions for many countries and proposing to double the "visa exemption" period to attract MORE tourists.

On another hand, they want to gouge those tourists by adding yet another surcharge on their ticket prices.
But another hand wants to cancel the idea because it may reduce the number of tourists.

I expect the next thing will be an increase of prices - for foreigners -  at national parks and historic sites. Maybe the ones that charge foreigners 5 times more for a ticket will increase the price and then charge 10 times more while the ones already charging 10 times more will also increase their price and charge 20 times more ?

Like Khao Kitchakut did a couple years ago. 
20 baht ticket for Thais, 100 for foreigners.

Then it went to 20 baht for Thais  and 200 for foreigners.

I guess foreigners were breathing too much air and taking too many pictures (or not throwing enough money into all the money traps they've set up at the top).

Khao Yai and Khao Phra Vihan for example charge 40 baht for locals and 400 for foreigners.

Other countries do the same.  This is not specific to Thailand, is it?

17 hours ago, geisha said:

Thailand only understands one thing and that’s instant $. It was a little paradise in Asia , as was Bali, and look what happened there !!!  It’s destruction and no infrastructure all stemming from greed. They can say what they like, it’s been spoilt, and there’s no going back to the old days . The world is changing fast,  travel is more difficult due to rising expenses globally. I know an awful lot of people who have been to Thailand , some of them love it, some were disgusted and often disappointed. People tend to stay closer to home now , it’s cheaper, you have the western comfort and fixed prices. You have wonderful Italy , fantastic south of France, thousands of kms of coast line all around, Greece, Sicily, Capri, Sardinia, Spain , and all the culture and historical cities you could ever want. I’m sure most of the expats are fine with it all, they have their own homes and don’t usually use the tourist routes, myself I still come  as I enjoy a nice condo and pool for a few months and to see my friends. But as a tourist one Thai holiday would be enough today. Too much else to enjoy. 

Oh please.  Thailand will never be on par with the US or any other western country in terms of greed.
There are also 3x as many people (including tourists with disposable income) on the planet as in 1950.
How many people visit/live in Thailand and want all of the things from their home countries?  We find idyllic areas of the world and proceed to destroy them.