New COVID Sub-variant KP.2 on the Rise in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But Thailand thus far has shown no signs of any plans to make those vaccines widely available to the public.

The government should be offering better options for getting updated vaccines,especially for the people working in the health field.

Thailand's initial roll out of any vaccines was hampered by Anutins horrible tenure as health minister.

Thailand's economy was devastated.

"The slow vaccine rollout is also hampering Thailand's economic recovery.

Public disaffection with the Prayuth regime is aggravating hesitancy about the Sinovac COVID vaccine.

Many Thais say they do not trust the effectiveness of the vaccines procured by the government."

https://www.dw.com/en/thailand-growing-covid-crisis-heats-up-political-tension/a-58831927

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

a swift rise in cases of the COVID-19 KP.2 sub-variant, a mutation overtaking the previously prevalent JN.1 strain.

Covid marches on! 

Thailand, the hub of Covid paranoia!

Do I care? "No". I have had my 6 free jabs here in Cambodia. 2 initial and 4 boosters.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ahh, the good old Rupert Murdoch NY Post...

Fauci was wrong when he originally made that off-handed comment above, and he later clarified his remarks in subsequent testimony before a House subcommittee, which I'm suspecting you knew....

In his clarification, Fauci noted that he wasn't involved in the drafting of the U.S. social distancing policy, which in fact came from the CDC. And when he said not backed by scientific data, he meant and clarified, there had not been randomized clinical trials done.

"Fauci sought to clarify on Monday that the 6-foot guidance came from the CDC and was based on droplet research, telling lawmakers: "It had little to do with me since I didn't make the recommendation and my saying 'there was no science behind it' meant there was no clinical trial behind that."

Though asked if social distancing requirements and other public health measures to reduce transmission saves lives, Fauci said "definitely."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/republicans-poised-grill-anthony-fauci-covid-19-response/story?id=110677611

And of course, there had been much research done on social distancing policies for viruses long before COVID came along, as this 2020 report by the U.S. GAO recounts:

"A CDC guideline based on historical studies of selected infections says that the area of highest risk is within 3 feet of an infected person. Some studies suggest a buffer of 6 feet may further reduce risk.

Other studies examining droplet dispersion in sneezing and coughing found they can go more than 6 feet. Also, viral material may persist in the air within a room for up to 3 hours."

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-20-545sp

Infections in a restaurant spread from one table to another because an air conditioner propelled the droplets 4 meters or so. This was an anecdotal observation rather than a study.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand hasn't had a national COVID vaccinations campaign for the general public since 2022...

So that means, the vast majority of people in the country with few exceptions are not up-to-date on COVID vaccinations and have not received the latest currently available vaccine version aimed at the more recent XBB variant.

In the west at least in places like the U.S. and UK, there will be new versions of the COVID vaccines released later this fall aimed at protecting against the latest KP.2 / JN.1 variants... But Thailand thus far has shown no signs of any plans to make those vaccines widely available to the public.

PS - It's not like COVID vaccinations offer some kind of magical permanent protection. The COVID virus keeps changing/mutating, and the vaccine versions typically protect well for about 6 months before the protection wanes substantially...

We're likely heading toward a similar situation as with the flu vaccines, where a new version is produced and given annually to reflect the latest strains of that virus, and to top-up the provided protection.

I read that 4 hospitals in Bangkok have the XBB vaccine, for what that's worth.

Edited by placnx
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Also in the news today -- not Thaksin this time, but the current one now:

Thai PM takes sick leave to recover from COVID-19 infection

"Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin is taking a sick leave after being diagnosed with COVID-19.

Government Spokesman Chai Wacharonke said the prime minister fell ill, has felt tired since last Friday and went to see a doctor, who diagnosed a COVID infection. He was advised him to take a rest for a few days to avoid infecting others.

He said he expects the prime minister to be able to return to work as normal on Wednesday."

(more)

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-pm-takes-sick-leave-to-recover-from-covid-19-infection/

Seems there's still a virus going round and making people sick...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 2

Several posts have been removed for contravening the forum's rules, including trolling,  misinformation and non-news source and unsourced content.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DjSilver said:

Aseannow still believe that anyone cares about Covid. We didn't care a few years ago and we don't care now.

Some people do. They need medical care, but not for Covid.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have a higher COVID vaccine count than Mike above, and have regularly been wearing my N95 face masks when away from home and around others since the COVID pandemic began.

Haven't been noticeably sick from anything in the past four years. Knock on wood. I'm going to continue on with what's been working for me as I go further into the 60s age range and hopefully beyond.

How many shots have you had, John?

• Love It 1

36 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm struggling in this thread why so many posters think it's funny when a 75 year old man gets sick with covid, am I missing something here?

It's a difficult subject to explain Mike.

I sympathise with you, and anyone who gets ill, it's not nice.

For me, I've not been ill in many years, way before CVD19 came about, I've taken no particular precautions against that or any other CVDs, but always been conscious about what actually goes into my body, I mean things like eating as well as possible and avoiding pollutants in the air and toxins in general.

Fingers crossed, it seems to have worked so far, and I hope your recovery was swift.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Background checks reveal that KP.2, a mutation sprouting from JN.1, is more transmissible and shows an enhanced ability to evade immune responses. Despite these changes, the severity of symptoms remains comparable to previously circulating variants. 

Seems like more details on the transmissibility than the symptoms.  You might say the description of the symptoms is kind of vague. 

I wonder why...  🤔

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm struggling in this thread why so many posters think it's funny when a 75 year old man gets sick with covid, am I missing something here?

Yes you are, but at this point you will probably never get it.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Well, we know enough about the symptoms of COVID to know that it has 748 people in Thailand currently hospitalized for COVID in serious condition, per today's update from the Thai MoPH in dark purple color below.  Not to mention the 7 new official COVID deaths reported for last week in gray color below.

202406-09to202406-15.jpg.70665cfefac6621b79c03e695fdc4888.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, we know enough about the symptoms of COVID to know that it has 748 people in Thailand currently hospitalized for COVID in serious condition, per today's update from the Thai MoPH in dark purple color below.  Not to mention the 7 new official COVID deaths reported for last week in gray color below.

202406-09to202406-15.jpg.70665cfefac6621b79c03e695fdc4888.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

not to mention that 7 is a very very very very low amount of deaths. i see you didn't quite answer about the graphs before. when i asked if they were within a 2 percent range. which they clearly are.

showing that in fact covid is really not that much different now than many other virus out there. something that is no longer a debate but rather backed up by facts and data....that you keep posting i might add. 

covid is a nothing burger now compared to what it was. no covid should not be ignored but to treat it the same now is not a balanced approach to it all. 

• Agree 1

Curious that the Thai local news media -- thus far at least -- seem to be ignoring this latest COVID update from the Thai Ministry of Public Health -- 2,881 new COVID hospitalizations last week, the highest number in a year.

But the MoPH nonetheless went on Facebook earlier today to warn about the risks of COVID in schools and amid rising COVID hospitalizations, in particular the health risks for what they call the "608" group -- meaning those age 60 and above, and those having any of a group of eight chronic health conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. that put them at higher risks for bad COVID outcomes.

Screenshot_17.jpg.5294d4c7be5f89bf937a3fa3de9cec0b.jpg

Source link:

Per Facebook Translate:

"The main strain that is being outbreak is the JN strain. 1 and the species of offspring that has the ability to spread more easily, non-severe symptoms, similar to common flu. I would like to emphasize that schools screen students every morning if they have respiratory symptoms, wear a hygienic mask and inform parents to take them for treatment or if the illness is found in a group, inform the local public health officer immediately.

People with risk symptoms such as fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat should be checked early with ATK if infection is found. ย์. It is better to wear anti-infection masks, isolate yourself from others, and consult doctors urgently, especially in the 608 group, because if the infection risk group can have serious symptoms and fatalities."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 hours ago, RobU said:

Thank god I'm in sleepy rural Issan our village wasn't affected during the pandemic. 

Which means you'll have very little, if any, natural immunity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rattlesnake said:

Myself and the approx. 20 unvaccinated people I know haven't caught Covid since 2020. Some, including myself, never caught it at all.

The rational conclusion to this empirical reality is forbidden by forum rules.

Approximate ages of the 20?