Filipina Woman Overstays in Thailand for Over 4 Years

webfact

1 hour ago, Jenkins9039 said:

I'd love to know what "acting suspiciously" means in Thailand

' Pssssst  ......wanna buy a crucifix ? Or perhaps this  piece of the true cross . Yours for 200 baht or 150 for both. '

• Agree 1

Ridiculous and shameful to parade her photo publicly. What is the point? To show how effective and hard working they are? BTW, compare this to the USA which is arguing about 13 million illegals presently in the country and given a variety of assistance i.e. jobs, accommodations, etc. On this point LOS is the USA.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

I'd love to know what "acting suspiciously" means in Thailand

Standing in the aisle of a church covering your face with an A4 document gets my vote.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Targeting a Catholic Church because “foreigners” gather there sounds very much like targeting Philippine nationals.

Its rank racial profiling

...only if Filipinas are the only nationality there.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

On June 16, officers inspected a local church and noticed a woman acting suspiciously.

Not worshiping the Official Thai Cult that is government funded ?

Was not making merit just talking to her pretend friend. 

Jeez are they checking places of worship now ? 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Felton Jarvis said:

And the Thai obsession with "overstay" snags another victim. Filipinas seldom have any money, so she will have to languish in prison. A disgusting waste of time and life.

A disgusting waste of time and life.

...by her.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Targeting a Catholic Church because “foreigners” gather there sounds very much like targeting Philippine nationals.

Its rank racial profiling but I guess that’s pretty much standard here.

I think its funny as fok.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, NativeBob said:

police in the church?

that is beyond any #$@#$ 
even during wars churches were somehow "can't touch this"

Unspeakable!

The police now go into churches regularly to arrest all the pedophile clergy.

• Thumbs Up 1

And the Thai obsession with "overstay" snags another victim. Filipinas seldom have any money, so she will have to languish in prison. A disgusting waste of time and life.

You are right most of them are poor.. but depemds on her famiy.Some are as wealthy as any Thai families,

There are many flavors of Christianity in Philippines, not only catholic.

And she probably was in one of those "Iglesia ni Cristo" worshipping houses, but doesn't matter at all. Very disrespectful even offensive act of sheer stupidity. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Hm,...she came and went 26 times !! She must have money and probably work somewhere in Thailand. And as Phillippina, she speaks far better English than most Thais !

With those skills she must work in the Tourist sector !?!?

3 minutes ago, Slocum said:

Picture above tells all...

Yes it does. But apparently not to mods who posted the article, corrected it after my comment and left my comment up so I can look like an idiot. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Celsius said:

Filipino or Filipina?

In Spanish the o on the end of many words implies  "masculine" the a  "feminine". 

I've always thought that if I were to want to stay in Thailand for years as a US citizen I would do the same as she did. Personally for me, paying the fine and being blacklisted would not be a problem.  And financially much cheaper and much less headache.

What caught my eye here is Philippines is a very devout catholic country, So the cops in Thailand hanging out at a church looking for overstayers .. smart.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:
3 hours ago, NativeBob said:

police in the church?

that is beyond any #$@#$ 
even during wars churches were somehow "can't touch this"

Unspeakable!

Why?  Are worshipping offenders granted immunity whilst in their club houses?

I don't think it's too difficult to grasp. Historically, places of worship have been sort of like sanctuaries, and in some cases, legally such.
Culturally, I think it can be pretty easily understood in Thailand, if you imagine a bunch of police coming to a Buddhist temple for a random check on worshipers for their passports and/or ID, I believe it would be highly likely be considered to be incredibly disrespectful. I could be wrong, but unless there were some clear reason of suspicion of a crime occurring or having occurred on the premises, I really doubt it would happen. I know that if it happened in some countries, it would be expected that there would be some serious public outcry and possibly lawsuits.
This protection can also be seen in how places of worship are given special consideration during war, when it is considered a war crime under international humanitarian law to attack a place of worship and specifically prohibited under various international treaties and conventions, such as the Geneva Conventions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sig said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?  Are worshipping offenders granted immunity whilst in their club houses?

I don't think it's too difficult to grasp. Historically, places of worship have been sort of like sanctuaries, and in some cases, legally such.

Any examples of the "legal protection" you claim that places of worship have that give that would be applicable here?   Acts of war are not.