Filipina Woman Overstays in Thailand for Over 4 Years

webfact

38 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Yes it does. But apparently not to mods who posted the article, corrected it after my comment and left my comment up so I can look like an idiot. 

Did you need their assistance for that?

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

No big deal, can't blame her, make some money and go home 100,000s do it, including tons of Thais in Australia, Korea, Malaysia etc.

And the UK

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What if they do...how would that change things?

Doesn’t change things, who said it does?

The uncertainty and confusion of that time might have been the reason she overstayed. Might have been love, work, family or something more complicated. 

Nobody was predicting back then it was going to drag on for years.

no need to reply with “ well she should have got a Covid visa extension” or any of your other arguing thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

No big deal, can't blame her, make some money and go home 100,000s do it, including tons of Thais in Australia, Korea, Malaysia etc.

As do millions of Cambodian, Burmese and Laotians in Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:
8 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

And the UK

The number of Thais working illegally in the US is mindboggling. It seems like every Thai restaurant has illegal workers. I don't believe that's the case, of course, but sometimes it is so obvious from talking with many of them that there are a LOT of them illegally working. From polls and studies I've come across in the past, Thais alone represent many thousands of illegal workers in the US, and they are a small minority of the problem. It's no wonder the US is so strict about giving visas to certain demographic groups.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bannoi said:

Where' the empathy am I the only one that feels sorry for her.

Yes, you probably are.  Why should there be any empathy (or sympathy) for those who deliberately abuse the system, from those who comply with it?   Is she special?

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

And 99% of the "proper criminals" remain undetected - apparently seeming to bypass the requirements quite effortlessly - maybe brown envelopes involved? 🤣

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

He loves to argue and will twist words or even completely change them to get an argument in when there was none.

it is his style.

I knew what you meant. Everybody knew what you meant, if he did.

I figured as much... It's a bit of an annoyance, but even low brow morons should be replied to at least once, if it isn't terribly time consuming. Beyond that, it may become an issue of casting pearls to swine and be useless.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Sig said:

The number of Thais working illegally in the US is mindboggling. It seems like every Thai restaurant has illegal workers. I don't believe that's the case, of course, but sometimes it is so obvious from talking with many of them that there are a LOT of them illegally working. From polls and studies I've come across in the past, Thais alone represent many thousands of illegal workers in the US, and they are a small minority of the problem. It's no wonder the US is so strict about giving visas to certain demographic groups.

"It's no wonder the US is so strict about giving visas to certain demographic groups."

Which in itself merely exacerbates the problem. If someone already in the country applies for a work permit and gets rejected, do you think they are going to say "Oh, that's a shame", and return to their home country? 

No, I think they are just going to stay and remain part of the "Black Economy", and I am sure that there are plenty of unscrupulous employers  willing to employ them at reduced wages! 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Targeting a Catholic Church because “foreigners” gather there sounds very much like targeting Philippine nationals.

Its rank racial profiling but I guess that’s pretty much standard here.

Their country, their rules. Unfortunately USA is a woke mess that could use some of this

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why should there be any empathy (or sympathy) for those who deliberately abuse the system, from those who comply with it?

Growing up in poverty, widowed, family to support and caught out by Covid.

Not everyone grew up in a nanny state, wrapped in cotton wool on government benefits.

• Like 1

Silly nothingburger #1,234,505,943. If the local media published an article everytime a Thai gets caught overstaying in South Korea they'd run out of bandwidth.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sig said:

Your English hasn't shown deficiencies like this in past postings I've seen... It appears that your extreme bias is blinding you. I was giving an example of how places of worship have been and continue to typically be viewed by cultures across the world in both common practice and law. I wasn't making any claim that there would be any sort of "legal protection" applicable here. And I also didn't claim or even remotely imply that acts of war would be applicable here, so why on earth would you mention that?
Remedial reading 101....

"I wasn't making any claim that there would be any sort of "legal protection" applicable here".

Really? Your post suggested that there is..."Historically, places of worship have been sort of like sanctuaries, and in some cases, legally such".

"I also didn't claim or even remotely imply that acts of war would be applicable here, so why on earth would you mention that?"

I mentioned it because you brought it up...

"This protection can also be seen in how places of worship are given special consideration during war" and I didn't want you to cloud this issue with it.

"Remedial reading 101..."

Indeed.  Perhaps you should do some, there is no such deficiency in my English-reading ability.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why should there be any empathy (or sympathy) for those who deliberately abuse the system, from those who comply with it?

Growing up in poverty, widowed, family to support and caught out by Covid.

She was poor, really, but she wasn't so poor that she couldn't travel to Thailand twenty-six times?

What's her being a widow got to do with it, even if she is? 

What family was it reported that she had to support that those of us who comply with the rules don't have? 

Provisions were made by the authorities for those stuck in the country, due to Covid restrictions, to be legal, so how did she "get caught out" by it?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

What if they do...how would that change things?

Doesn’t change things, who said it does?

Well, you seemed to be suggesting that it may have done!...

"Dates seem to match up with Covid". 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:
35 minutes ago, Sig said:

I wasn't making any claim that there would be any sort of "legal protection" applicable here.

He loves to argue and will twist words or even completely change them to get an argument in when there was none.

it is his style.

To justify that accusation, an example of my "loving to argue" and "twisting words for an argument", as opposed to expressing an opinion that may differ from other's, would be interesting.   

It's odd that so many posters see my opinions, on a forum that encourages opinions, to be "argumentative" simply because they differ from theirs!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A Filipina woman who had entered and exited Thailand 26 times has been caught overstaying in the country for over four years. Thai police discovered her during a routine inspection aimed at curbing immigration-related offences.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Suriya Phuangsombat led an investigation targeting areas in Bangkok where foreigners frequently gather. On June 16, officers inspected a local church and noticed a woman acting suspiciously. When asked to present her passport, she could not provide one, prompting further investigation.

The woman, identified as Mary, 42, had last entered Thailand in early 2020, obtaining a 30-day visa exemption on 2nd March 2020, which expired on 31st March 2020. Since then, there had been no record of her applying for a visa extension, meaning she had been illegally staying in the country for over four years.

Authorities charged her with "being a foreigner staying in the kingdom after the permission had expired." She was informed of her rights and handed over to the Immigration Office for further legal proceedings and repatriation.

IMG_5019.webp

Picture courtesy: Talk News Online

Lt. Col. Suriya emphasised that foreigners must enter Thailand through legal channels and obtain the correct visas. They must also report their residence to immigration officers as stipulated in Section 37 of the Immigration Act of 1979. Those wishing to work in Thailand must apply for the appropriate work permits.

Employers found hiring foreigners without a work permit face hefty fines of up to 100,000 baht according to the Royal Decree on the Management of Foreign Workers’ Employment 2017. Additionally, homeowners are required to notify the Immigration Bureau when a foreigner stays at their property.

Thailand’s stringent immigration policies serve as a reminder to adhere to legal entry and residency rules, ensuring that foreigners maintain proper documentation and visa status while in the country.

Picture courtesy: Siam Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Something the UK border force could learn from. It appears that arrival via rubber dinghy, means you can stay in a 4* and get paid for the duration.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, NativeBob said:

police in the church?

that is beyond any #$@#$ 
even during wars churches were somehow "can't touch this"

Unspeakable!

Please tell that to Putin.

He seems to ignore the rules.

Same with red crosses.

41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She was poor, really, but she wasn't so poor that she couldn't travel to Thailand twenty-six times?

just the travel costs were keeping her down.

What's her being a widow got to do with it, 

tough being a single mum with 5 kids in the Philippines 

What family was it reported that she had to support that those of us who comply with the rules don't have? 

Sounds like you are annoyed about the rules.

Provisions were made by the authorities for those stuck in the country, due to Covid restrictions, to be legal, so how did she "get caught out" by it?

It’s complicated 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's odd that so many posters see my opinions, on a forum that encourages opinions, to be "argumentative" simply because they differ from theirs!

What is odd is you misquote, or twist to simply cause an argument.

You had sisters as a child?

You are entitled to your opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MalcolmB said:

What is odd is you misquote, or twist to simply cause an argument.

Yet you cannot provide one example of that!  And you seem to assume (wrongly) that you have the ability to know what other members' intent is...how could you ever know that?

12 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:
56 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

just the travel costs were keeping her down.

What's her being a widow got to do with it, 

tough being a single mum with 5 kids in the Philippines 

Bizarre, unfounded speculation.

13 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

It’s complicated 

Wasn't that complicated, many were able to do it, without issue.

14 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:
58 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Sounds like you are annoyed about the rules.

Not at all, but it does look as though you can't understand my comment.

51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

To justify that accusation, an example of my "loving to argue" and "twisting words for an argument", as opposed to expressing an opinion that may differ from other's, would be interesting.   

And there would probably be a few more if you weren't on "Ignored" lists! 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Did you need their assistance for that?

Yes he does,  Only ADMIN can delete posts

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1