Filing a Thai Tax Return Online

Just curious about how difficult it is & what I would need to file a Thai Tax Return online next year. 

I already have my TIN & access to the Revenue online site and will transfer in <235K this year so I know there is no tax to pay but as I'll have >8K of withheld interest this year, if it's simple to do I might as well claim it back. 

If I have to photocopy/upload tons of documents (like I had to do when filing my return in person) then I won't bother but if it's just a simple case of filing in an online form then it would be worth doing.

Thanks

MTV 

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Good Idea... Brain is Martered enough already trying to make sense of this stuff 🙂 

For now it is in Thai only, maybe they will change that if they want to help the foreigners a bit.

There is also no part to deduct tax credits for tax paid in other countries.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe it would be a good idea if every foreigner that stays more than 180 days goes to a tax office and attempts to file a tax return.
I have no idea how many people that would be, but I seriously doubt that the system could cope. It is highly likely that we will see one off the many back-tracks.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I think the OP is entirely right in asking about this now, rather than waiting and panicking in January, anyone else who has to file next year should consider doing exactly the same.

I think KuhnPer's post above is the most appropriate answer. I've also seen where there are practise sites which I will try to locate once again. 

Indeed – and thanks for your comment – it's good practise to already now keep file of all transfers and income source, and also read any DTA between Thailand and one's home country, so your are prepared for the tax return form, which have to be filled not later than 31st March next year (2025).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, schultzlivgthai said:

It’s almost like he’s excited to pay taxes!!

🤣🤣

No, I'm excited to get back >8K in withheld tax... I know I won't owe any tax as I'm managing my remittances to the level of my allowances+150K so there is no possibility of me owing tax 🙂 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

No, I'm excited to get back >8K in withheld tax... I know I won't owe any tax as I'm managing my remittances to the level of my allowances+150K so there is no possibility of me owing tax 🙂 

If your age is 60+ I think the tax threshold is 190,000thb

2 minutes ago, norbra said:

If your age is 60+ I think the tax threshold is 190,000thb

Tax threshold and owing money to taxes are two different things. The filing threshold is 60k/120k, the point at which tax is owed is likely to be over 500 k for most retirees.

Until now (will probably change 2025) I have always got the answer from the local revenue dep that as foreigner, retired no work permit and income only from pension I cannot file online.

Felt

59 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Tax threshold and owing money to taxes are two different things. The filing threshold is 60k/120k, the point at which tax is owed is likely to be over 500 k for most retirees.

I had seen that people were saying the filing threshold was more than this 210K Thb?

My wife works and does a single tax return (just for her employment but files to get some back for her parents and insurance) not a married tax return.

So in this is the case is the filing threshold 60K for me? (I was working it being 60K+150K (I'm under 60)). 

I have purposely not sent much money over this year since I learned about these changes, so far this year I have sent over to myself very little and direct to my wife little as gifts, just to see how things pan out. 

10 minutes ago, alphason said:

I had seen that people were saying the filing threshold was more than this 210K Thb?

My wife works and does a single tax return (just for her employment but files to get some back for her parents and insurance) not a married tax return.

So in this is the case is the filing threshold 60K for me? (I was working it being 60K+150K (I'm under 60)). 

I have purposely not sent much money over this year since I learned about these changes, so far this year I have sent over to myself very little and direct to my wife little as gifts, just to see how things pan out. 

The threshold to file a return for married people filing jointly is 220k.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1324294-introduction-to-personal-income-tax-in-thailand/

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

The threshold to fi;e a return for married people filing jointly is 220k.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1324294-introduction-to-personal-income-tax-in-thailand/

But we don't have to file a joint return though, if I bring in an amount under the threshold? Easier to keep things as they are for now.

My wife has always filed a single return. I have filed returns before in just my name to get savings interest back but not for a couple of years sice my main bank stopped deducting the interest.

• Like 1

Just now, alphason said:

But we don't have to file a joint return though, if I bring in an amount under the threshold? Easier to keep things as they are for now.

My wife has always filed a single return. I have filed returns before in just my name to get savings interest back but not for a couple of years sice my main bank stopped deducting the interest.

Correct

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Please explain,as a retiree I bring around 900,000thb (400,000 assessable) each year,how does My tax  liabilty fit into your scenario?

Edited by norbra

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, norbra said:

Please explain,as a retiree I bring around 900,000thb (400,000 assessable) each year,how does My tax  liabilty fit into your scenario?

It all depends on your allowances...

E.g. Not a complete list but of the top of my hear...

• 60K - Everybody get it...  Additional 60K - If you're married & your wife doesn't file a return 
  • 30K if you have any children... Additional 30K for any additional children born after 2018 
  • 25K if you buy Health Insurance 
  • 100K if you have life insurance
  • 100K if  you're receiving a pension
  • 190K if you're over 65

Then add in the 1st 150K is tax free & take the total away from your 400K that is assessable...

E.g.

• A Single person < 65 with no additional allowances would have 60K + 150K = 210K take this away from the 400K & you would pay tax on 190K (which would work out as 8,000B) - NB This assumes the income isn't covered by a DTA
  • A 65 year old with no pension would have 60K + 190K + 150K = 400K - No tax to pay 
  • A Married 65 year old with a pension, 2 kids, Health Insurance & Life Insurance would have allowances of 615K, more if they had additional allowances that I didn't list above.  
Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, norbra said:

I agree with the previous poster regarding your tax position.

There is a legal obligation to file a return, even though there is no tax to pay and this obligation is set at quite a low level, 60k or 120k of remitted assessable income, depending on the source (220K for married people filing jointly). The next milestone is the threshold at which you personally will have to begin paying tax  and this point varies based on age, source and type of income and personal allowances and deductions.  Those over age 65 years are entitled to a age related deduction of 190k which puts them well ahead of those younger. as Mike said above, you can easily not pay tax until you have remitted 500k to 600k of assessable income. 

You say you remit 900k, of which 400k is assessable. That means the 400k will be taxable in stepped bands, the first 150k is zero rated, the next 150k is taxed at 5% and the next 200k at 10%. 

NOTEL the above assumes that the 400k is actually assessable and not exempt income by treaty, eg US Social Security.

The tax tables and other related information is here:

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1